Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

Finn

Staff member
Mod note

Kids... it's been said before. We're not in the business of collecting statistics so just mentioning the title of the game you're playing isn't going to cut it. Please also say what you think of it, share your impressions so that the rest of us visiting this thread can see whether they agree or if it appears viable for acquisition.

Though fleshed-out opinion is always for the better, it certainly doesn't have to be a full-blown review. A couple of sentences telling us whether you dig it currently or not and why will be fine.

Le Saboteur

I didn't care for one more foray into the world of Assassin's Creed. Purchased primarily for the opportunity to run around La Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia, Assassin's Creed II quickly got shelved after that segment ended.

Why you ask? The story was less than engaging, but more importantly, the actual stealth options were highly limited. With that said, I may pick up the newest offering for the chance to muck about in one of my other favorite cities -- Istanbul (Not Constantinople).

The team at Ubisoft do make good videos, however, as attested to by this "Life in Constantinople" trailer. Narrated by whom I assume is a young Suleiman the Magnificent --he would be crowned Sultan nine years after the game's events -- it goes into detail about the various factions and the mood of the city itself.

Give it a look.

Henry W Jones

I finished Infamous a week ago and loved it. Just started part 2 and it is far better than the first. Both games are sandbox games and I love the fact you can choose between good and evil. In part two the give you more powers than the first game and it also has a lot more levels. It also looks and plays like part one except the graphics are sharper and the character seems to have a bit more control. Both games are lots of fun.

Finn

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:
I finished Infamous a week ago and loved it. Just started part 2 and it is far better than the first. Both games are sandbox games and I love the fact you can choose between good and evil. In part two the give you more powers than the first game and it also has a lot more levels. It also looks and plays like part one except the graphics are sharper and the character seems to have a bit more control. Both games are lots of fun.
This comment was so loaded with self-evidentness (at least from a certain point of view) that I'm kinda having hard time telling whether you actually meant this as a serious post or are merely chaffing with me.

If really the former, forget I mentioned it.

The Drifter

I've been playing Uncharted 3. Very fun and addicting game. Great set-pieces and graphics, and I enjoyed the flow of the story. I beat it on hard the first play through and now I'm working my way through crushing mode. I even dare say that I enjoyed it more than part two.

The Elder Scrolls V; Skyrim hits Friday. Anyone else going to be playing this? I've been looking forward to another ES game since Oblivion.
Do you think that Bethesda are dumbing it down for the Oblivion crowd? Or do you like the changes?
I am gonna miss birth signs, and other certain perks.

Finn

Staff member
I finally finished Deus Ex Human Revolution yesterday. For a true DX nut such as yours truly it was both a highly entertaining yet a mildly disappointing experience since it still managed to fall flat on some aspects of the original.

One of the things I really never synched with was the XP system since the rewards regarding your playstyle were hugely unbalanced. I went on about it like a stealthy predator (tons of KOs, hack everything you see) and when I was in the middle of the last level I noticed that "Hey, I've got these like 25 unassigned Praxis points I've been racking up for a rainy day that never came... maybe it's time I used 'em on something?" It certainly lacked the contextual approach to things and making your rewards count, something that was so brilliantly executed in the original.

But still, like I said, I enjoyed it and can heartily give it my thumbs up.

Skyrim... hmm. While I'm usually all over anything RPG-like far before they're out of the press, the Elder Scrolls series has really been one I've never quite got into. Morrowind was fun and pretty impressive for its time but Oblivion just had so many design flaws out of the box so that I gave it a complete pass and had moved on by the time it had been made the game it was supposed to be with mods. Skyrim does sound far more interesting though, since I figure the devs might have learnt something from the previous installation and the setting that appears to draw heavily from Norse mythology certainly sounds far more appealing than those run-of-the-mill tolkienesque high fantasy plains. I'll probably end up taking a look one day, but due to me having essentially two games on my plate for the past five months or so (first The Witcher 2, then DXHR), I've got one mean working-lady of a backlog to wade into.

So, where to next...

DiscoLad

Been playing skyrim for the longest time since it came out friday. :D

They really stepped up the sneaking system, especially with shadows and the way it affects you being visible.
They really did a great job. :D

Yeah, Drifter... I'm gonna miss the birth signs too... *Sigh*
Leveling is as easy as a 2 dollar hooker though. Hehe.

Le Saboteur

So, yeah.

387521_10150368997846433_696266432_8777249_2117138600_n.jpg

I haven't obsessively played an Elder Scrolls release since Daggerfall. And haven't really enjoyed one since Redguard, but I couldn't pass on the combination of Norse mythology and the return of dragons to Tamriel!

Have plenty of these guys on rotation too.

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
I haven't obsessively played an Elder Scrolls release since Daggerfall. And haven't really enjoyed one since Redguard, but I couldn't pass on the combination of Norse mythology and the return of dragons to Tamriel!
Likewise, though after doing a bit more research I'm willing to wait it out.

Judging after what I've read (yeah, I know, shouldn't really say for sure 'til you've played it), Skyrim appears to be not much different from those other Bethesda titles since Oblivion. As release version vanilla they're not unplayable by any means, but could use some extra polish. The content is just so plentiful that it's simply impossible for the devs to push out a product without some graphics glitches here and there, some secquence-breaking bugs and other odd scripting issues. Also, it seems that the intuitiviness of the UI is pretty deep in the YMMV territory.

Give it a few months and the devs and the modding community equally should have squashed most of these down and the game is truly worth the high scores it's already getting. I recently made a brief revisit to New Vegas with all the DLCs, patches and a plethora of fan-made fixes installed and while I enjoyed the Mojave when I crashed it for the first time a year ago, it was now - if possible - even more enjoyable.

<small>Of course, if you're a dirty, non-educated console peasant and not one of the glorious PC playing master race, I suppose it's not going to make that much of a difference whether you're waiting or just diving in now.</small>

Last edited:

The Drifter

Finn said:
Likewise, though after doing a bit nire research I'm willing to wait it out.

Judging after what I've read (yeah, I know, shouldn't really say for sure 'til you've played it), Skyrim appears to be not much different from those other Bethesda titles since Oblivion. As release version vanilla they're not unplayable by any means, but could use some extra polish. The content is just so plentiful that it's simply impossible for the devs to push out a product without some graphics glitches here and there, some secquence-breaking bugs and other odd scripting issues. Also, it seems that the intuitiviness of the UI is pretty deep in the YMMV territory.

Give it a few months and the devs and the modding community equally should have squashed most of these down and the game is truly worth the high scores it's already getting. I recently made a brief revisit to New Vegas with all the DLCs, patches and a plethora of fan-made fixes installed and while I enjoyed the Mojave when I crashed it for the first time a year ago, it was now - if possible - even more enjoyable.

<small>Of course, if you're a dirty, non-educated console peasant and not one of the glorious PC playing master race, I suppose it's not going to make that much of a difference whether you're waiting or just diving in now.</small>

I am one of those dirty, non-educated console peasants! (PS3) :p

But, I will give my impressions so far anyway. Skyrim has more content than Oblivion. In Oblivion, one could walk the wilderness for hours and once in awhile stumble upon something interesting. In Skyrim, this happens almost every few minutes.
In my first few hours I was bombarded with side quests, and other things to do such as jobs like woodcutting, tanning and even cooking.

The graphics are a lot better also. Of course the PC version is the superior version, but it doesn't look bad at all on my PS3, and I am satisfied. But, I heard that there can be some texture issues on the 360 when one installs to the HDD.

The game is HUGE. I have about 12 hours clocked in, and I have barely done anything. I've done a few of the main-quests, and a few side-quests and even less of the guild-quests, and I've only been to one major town so far.

As for bugs and glitches.
The game does freeze. I've had it happen about seven times (between me and my wife's playtime) and I ran into a bad glitch last night where the background was flickering an eye-burning white.
Other small bugs are present, but they are minor and kinda comical in a way.

All-in-all, if you plan to get the PC version, I would wait awhile until the game is patched a few times (which Bestheda is planning on a patch for the console versions as well), and the modding community kicks in, if you're into that sort of thing.

Overall, I'm enjoying this game a lot. I haven't been so engrossed in a long time. So far this is my game of the year, and I honestly thought Uncharted 3 would take that crown.

Regarding:
Rocket Surgeon said:
Modern Warfare 3
and:
Finn said:
...just mentioning the title of the game you're playing isn't going to cut it.

My apologies.

However the game was released that day and I had just played a bit of it. Hardly enough for a review or opinion. I was excited enough to post, (haven't picked up a game on the first day in a while). Then the power went out again...

So does it live up to the hype? Can they really make a first person shooter fresh?

Yes sir, they certainly can. The single player campaign, while not really "open" is so varied and cinematic I have to think it's not long before we see Hollywood pick it up. From fighting on the streets of New York to the Zero G of a plummeting air plane, (I won't spoil anything as these points are featured in the commercials/marketing material) and what happens to the plane (!) ...ALIVE!

I'm smiling just typing this...an amazing action game.

Nazi Zombies are gone, sad to say, (I still have the other games/downloads) but is replaced by a survival mode where you and a team/teamate have to repel increasing numbers of insurgents with greater firepower, (Juggernaut!). Attack Dogs, (Crack!) Air Strikes, Suicide Bombers...on every map available in the game. A great addition. Hopefully they give us a zombie download, because the fun potential of roaming the levels and getting supplies air dropped is too much to pass up.

Any way sorry for simply answering the stupidly written thread title...

Lairdo, you work on this one?

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
My apologies.

However the game was released that day and I had just played a bit of it. Hardly enough for a review or opinion. I was excited enough to post, (haven't picked up a game on the first day in a while). Then the power went out again...
This is exactly why they have conjured up term "first impressions". Simply stating "haven't got far but the opening looks mighty cool" or something similar would still have been a little twitterish, but enough to keep it out of Facebook status territory.

Rocket Surgeon said:
The single player campaign, while not really "open" is so varied and cinematic I have to think it's not long before we see Hollywood pick it up.
I wholeheartedly agree with this... sadly. I have a buddy who picked it up for the X360 and we finished the story mode in two nights and two sittings. While we both certainly figured it was the best paced and most varied campaign over the MW trilogy (made evident that even when not holding the controller, it proved to be pretty neat entertainment, like watching a solid action movie), it was far too brief for its price tag. Sure, its got the Spec Ops mode and good multiplayer to add further meat, but didn't feel like quite up there with its most evident competitor, Battlefield 3.

So it's a bit of a miss in my book. The campaign is good and a solid experience, but most of us would be crying foul if we went to the movies on two consecutive nights and the tickets cost $/€25 apiece. And if you're in it for the multi, you're apparently better off picking up that other game.

Finn said:
This is exactly why they have conjured up term "first impressions". Simply stating "haven't got far but the opening looks mighty cool" or something similar would still have been a little twitterish, but enough to keep it out of Facebook status territory.
Lets call it a homage to my favorite moat swimmer:
No sarcasm there whatsoever, I really do like him to a certain extent.
DiscoLad said:
Battlefield III.... Tomorrow.

Finn said:
I wholeheartedly agree with this... sadly. I have a buddy who picked it up for the X360 and we finished the story mode in two nights and two sittings. While we both certainly figured it was the best paced and most varied campaign over the MW trilogy (made evident that even when not holding the controller, it proved to be pretty neat entertainment, like watching a solid action movie), it was far too brief for its price tag. Sure, its got the Spec Ops mode and good multiplayer to add further meat, but didn't feel like quite up there with its most evident competitor, Battlefield 3.

So it's a bit of a miss in my book. The campaign is good and a solid experience, but most of us would be crying foul if we went to the movies on two consecutive nights and the tickets cost $/?25 apiece. And if you're in it for the multi, you're apparently better off picking up that other game.

Spare time becomming sparse, I'm content to go with the devil I know.
Thanks to Montana for reviving that from my lexicon and adding it to the regular rotation.

Other mitigating factors include my penchant for brand loyalty, my boy and his friends...ect.

The price tag was a tough one, but boy-o comming back with yet another report card of straight A's made it much easier.

Hell, I don't think I EVER got straight A's much less ran a streak!

DiscoLad

Oh hey look I was quoted-... Wait a sec... >_<

Anyway...

Yeah I walked in and found my friend playing Call of Duty, I asked why he wasn't playing the new one... He said he was...
And that's how much it's changed... Or how little at least.

I can't say Battlefield has done much to change the look of things but at least it's done more than CoD.

Skyrim... 0_o Ahh skyrim. They really improved the sneaking around in the shadows and being able to actually hide. It really adds when you can find a dark corner to scurry in after failing an arrow headshot. :)
The thing I find wrong with Skyrim though is that... I'm a thief and steal everything (As I'm sure everyone does). Except when I go to a local shop to sell everything, the shop keeps only have a limited... Limited amount of coinage to pay for my equipment. So I end up not being able to sell all my stuff and I have to move on. If I recall correctly, the only people who did that in the last game were the fences who bought your stolen goods.

I guess the reason they wanted to make it to where you could sell stolen goods to normal shops but not make a killing off of it... >_> Bummer.

Hey Drifter, do you find yourself getting run through and one hit by barbarians with greatswords or is that just me? :]
What are your stats, Drifter? Your race. etc. I'm curious.:hat:

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
Hey Drifter, do you find yourself getting run through and one hit by barbarians with greatswords or is that just me? :]
What are your stats, Drifter? Your race. etc. I'm curious.:hat:

I get one-hit kills by bandits once in awhile, but it's happening less and less.

My stats are:

Level-9

Magicka-100
Health-160
Stamina-145

Race-Nord
Sex-Male
Name-Jaharvis
I play mostly a melee character. Sometimes it's two-handed weapons such as large axes, or sometimes with sword and shield. I use a bow as backup as well.

How about yourself?

DiscoLad said:
No I just made one of the longest posts I've ever made for my health... :p
Mein Gott in Himmel!

A paragraph! You did it boy!;)

Now, I realize this might be presumptuous and a bit too soon, but do you think you could string together some thoughts on Indiana Jones and maybe share them in an Indiana Jones thread?

No pressure. I understand if you're a bit hesitant. This is a positive step on the road to recovery, but I know you can do it. I know you can.

It might help to watch the films while browsing thread topics...I wish you the best boy, and congratulations!:hat: