Favorite Adventure Book

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
My favorite adventure Book is Monsoon from Wilbur Smith. It's "a story of anger and passion, of peace and war. Action, romance and adventure shape a family's destiney as they contest a prize beyond any of their dreams...". It's an epic adventure that takes place in the 18th century were kingdoms, pirates, high seas, sword fights and tragedy all gather under the winds of the Monsoon. I was blown away by this book and I'd say it's a good summer book (cause it's pretty long).

Finn

Staff member
Vax, you're right, Monsoon was great. Excellent ride that made me finish it in a weekend. Highly recommended.

hffan2000

i would also recommend anything by dumas. he wrote some truly great adventure novels and they definitely have enough action, romance and suspense to satisfy any indyfan.

Luckylighter

monkey said:
Hey Lucky,
I have never heard of this author or his books.

They sound fascinating!! I am very interested. I'm going to check them out.

Do you have any more info? When were they written...what decade?

Thanks,

They were published recently, like in the mid to late 90's / early 2000's. The last one was published in 2001. You can find them at pretty much any bookstore, like Borders Books and Music or Barnes and Noble.

Joe Brody

Monkey,

People who I've recommended Bull's novels to have told me that they found the first novel, White Rhino Hotel, to be the weakest. I don't agree with that view but it's something that I've heard more than once. Based on this feedback, if you happen on a copy of 'Cafe on the Nile' first, you may want to start there, then read 'Devil's Oasis' and then go back and read 'White Rhino'. Do you agree Luckylighter?

Today, most bookstores will most likely have Bull's most recent novel, 'Shanghai Station' on their shelves. While 'Shanghai Station' is the exact same type of action/adventure novel as the other three stories set in Africa, it's has totally different characters and is not as well-written. Monkey, if I were you I'd definitely skip 'Shanghai Station' until you read 'Cafe on th Nile' and 'Devil's Oasis.'

Last edited:

Luckylighter

Joe Brody said:
Monkey,

People who I've recommended Bull's novels to have told me that they found the first novel, White Rhino Hotel, to be the weakest. I don't agree with that view but it's something that I've heard more than once. Based on this feedback, if you happen on a copy of 'Cafe on the Nile' first, you may want to start there, then read 'Devil's Oasis' and then go back and read 'White Rhino'. Do you agree Luckylighter?

I couldn't agree more, Joe. I found "White Rhino" to be the slowest moving of the three books, and the one that took me the most time to read.