Hmm the next Indy game?

pigeon

Hmm or is it too early?

Just wondering if anyone heard of anything about the next Indy game from Lucasarts.

Hmm maybe something related to the next Indy movie? ;)

Pigeon.

bob

As far as i know there are no plans, remember that there was a 3 yr gap between Infernal Machine and ET

I doubt we will see anything until Indy IV in which hopefully they can actually make something at least a little more ambition, i cant say that an Indy game has particlarly innovated in anyway since Last Crusade adventure game in 1989 (Fate of Atlantis being in its game mechanics a virtual re make of LC, infernal machine being a tomb raider clone really, the same going for ET, even Greatest Adventures was based on the Star Wars games)

Arclam

I would not call ET a TR clone. ET may have set the standards for the next TR game.(Though the standards are not that high, they are very high when you compare ET to the last TR)

00Kevin

Indyfan
well, now that we are getting Indy 4 and Indy DVDs, perhaps we will have more games for a few years

It would be cool if they could whip (no pun intended) up another indy game by november 2004

perhaps they could use the same engine and everything...just write a story and get the levels in

but a long time is needed to make a video game not suck :D

nOOb

they could remake infernal machine with tombs graphics and fighting. keep machines weapons though. maybe a drop function so indy can switch from a shottie to a ppsh41 or sks rifle or something. and driveable vehicles...oooh man i miss the jeep and raft :) plus the same huge levels with saves. you all have to admit, the two games combined would be totally cool. wont happen though.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Jim Tso said that the wait this time wouldn't be as long, so I would guess that at the next E3 we will see a preview/annoucement. (frankly, I have yet to beat ET...given that I have no time to play...so I can wait for another game)

Patrick

Well, I wouldn't say that the 2 predecessing games of the of the 'soon to be released' one ( I'm predicted about a year and a half) were the equivelant of "Tomb Raider". 3D platform is a little genre and the last two Indiana Jones games were created in that format because they believed that it was the best selling area to place an already popular character.

Randy_Flagg

bob said:
i cant say that an Indy game has particlarly innovated in anyway since Last Crusade adventure game in 1989 (Fate of Atlantis being in its game mechanics a virtual re make of LC, infernal machine being a tomb raider clone really, the same going for ET, even Greatest Adventures was based on the Star Wars games)

Even Last Crusade wasn't innovative. Remember Maniac Mansion? Zak McKracken? Monkey Island? They all used the same basic SCUMM system.

And despite what others may say, I agree with you Bob. ET was a TR wannabe, though not to the extent that IM was. Sadly ET did not come close to being as good as Tomb Raider (well, not counting the latest TR, which was a disaster.)

Yolegoman

Yes, but you could also say that Tomb Raider cloned Indiana Jones in the first place, and as such ET is simply cloning itself. :p

I've never played Tomb Raiders, so I will stay out of this debate. Enjoy arguing!

Yolegoman

00Kevin

Indyfan
spohlso said:
They should remake the old Atari 2600 version.

lol

I think they should just make raiders

just use the engine they have...have ET characters (indy, nazis...) with a few raiders characters

make a few levels

make a multiplayer :D

and you got a game!

Adventurer

One thing they should get is a really good writer to get a better story. The two last ones were decent, to put it nicely. Nothing compared to FOA (i know, i'm biased) with its enduring references to real history.

And if it absolutely has to be in 3D, get a real good engine. The DOOM3 Engine from id, or, if there's the need for huge landscapes, the UT2K4 Engine and modify it. And don´t even think about porting the game to a console.
It will only lower the overall quality because of the lowest common denominator.

Edit: Actually, i think the ET engine was quite good. But the artwork department was somehow limited (especially the polygone count)because of console hardware, which made the game look as if it was a few years old, at least partially.

[Edited by Adventurer on 10-06-2003 at 05:34 am]

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I would like to see a game made like Knights of the Old Republic...that way the game could be played several times several different ways.