the premier German university of archeology in the 50s ?

Barryson Ford

could this be our first hint at the plot cuz an archeology professor(and expert in how the Nazis manipulated archeology) in Wisconsin-Milwaukee has been asked this by Lucasfilm.

source : Harrison Ford Web / Indy 4 forum

merancapeman

No way has or will any information on the plot be released. No ifs ands or buts, nobody knows and nobody will know until around June 2004.

indyphd

merancapeman said:
No way has or will any information on the plot be released. No ifs ands or buts, nobody knows and nobody will know until around June 2004.

Nevertheless, just because information is not released does not mean we can not add 1 + 1 and get 2.

Paul

merancapeman

All it tells us (If it contains any truth) that there are germans in it and they're, again, taking another famous artifact....

indyphd

merancapeman said:
All it tells us (If it contains any truth) that there are germans in it and they're, again, taking another famous artifact....

If a vegetable farmer shows up to a grocery store, you assume he is either getting some vegetables or giving some vegetables.

If I show up at a college, I am either getting information or giving information.

But if a college shows up in a grocery store, you know it something much bigger than just shopping for a few vegetables.

Paul

Pale Horse

Staff member
I write screenplays. I could take the above information, and spin it into a thousand storylines, none of them having anything to do with archeology, or Germans. Heck, I could even make a couple where Indy isn't even involved. At this point it means absolutly nothing...

For all we know he was gathering information to help add commentary to the DVD box set that will come out after Indy IV

indyphd

apalehorse said:
I write screenplays. I could take the above information, and spin it into a thousand storylines, none of them having anything to do with archeology, or Germans. Heck, I could even make a couple where Indy isn't even involved. At this point it means absolutly nothing...

For all we know he was gathering information to help add commentary to the DVD box set that will come out after Indy IV

Basically what your are saying is it is circumstantial; which is not being denied, however when you put enough circumstantial information together, you can convict, or in many cases make logical deductions and educated guesses. Nevertheless, gambling makes mucho buko on these kinds of odds.

Paul

indyphd

Art is self limiting once you choose a medium. i.e. once you choose a charcoal sketch you have limited yourself to black and white three dimensional lines on particular materials. You can?t charcoal on canvas and expect much of an outcome as you would oil paints on canvas.

A medium has been set for the film.

These are the mediums we know:

Set in the 1950?s
Historically Relevant by standards of Lucas Films
Artifactually Relevant by the standards of Lucas Films
Biblical and Secular Relevance by the standards of Lucas Films
Lucas Films is not breaking the mold.

So you asses the times, possibilities, relevancies, and an educated guess is going to probably cross the line of realism several times.

There are particular entities and events of the 1950?s that are relevant to the archeology and anyone that would have control or interest for the period.

Leaving these facts out of the equation would be like leaving the Nazis out of the war, or elvis out of rock and roll.

Study your history of the 50?s and the relevance of possible artifacts and players, gives this fiction fandom more life as a structured hypothesis. (probably getting closer to real everyday)

So in developing a plot with say the involvement of the CFR is relevant because of its significance to the 1950?s, anyone with money and power was involved. Just as possible manipulation of archeology is significant because for the times it must be relevant, and likely involved to some extent for background development.

Besides, any study for the making of the past three was and has probably been done and completed long before the fact or conception of the DVD?s.

Paul

bob

I really doubt that this rumour has much truth in it because:

1. The story has already been written and most of the script
2. One of the few things we know about the movie is the lack of nazis
3. The rumour just doesnt sound particularly likely....

I am sorry but i have heard so many rumours about this movie over the past 5 years or so that i am not going to believe anything unless it is at least slightly reputable

indyphd

bob said:
I really doubt that this rumour has much truth in it because:

1. The story has already been written and most of the script
2. One of the few things we know about the movie is the lack of nazis
3. The rumour just doesnt sound particularly likely....

I am sorry but i have heard so many rumours about this movie over the past 5 years or so that i am not going to believe anything unless it is at least slightly reputable

He said Nazis would not be the vilan. But, that does not mean that the post war would be irrelevant and the fact of Nazis perverting archeology will not be a building block to support the plot. It just means they are not the vilans. They are still very much apart of post war history which is relevant to the 50's.

Paul

westford

'German' does not equal Nazis, bob. So what was the premier German university for archaeology in the 50s? I'm gonna have to dig out my archaological theory and methodology books to see if they have an answer cos I'm curious now...