Trouble on the Mountain?

Joe Brody

Does anyone know how the costs of production are being carved up for Indy IV? . . .the projected budget? . . and how much of the burden is being shouldered by Paramount?

I ask because Paramount's recent performance has been dismal and the studio is notorious for nickel-and-diming productions. I'm curious if Paramount's problems will impact Indy IV -- or if due to the heavyweights involved, Indy IV will be insulated from Paramount's problems. I believe principal studio work is being done in the U.S. for cost reasons and I wonder if this a warning sign of an Indy IV being made on the cheap.

Presumably prompted by 'Timeline' and other recent Paramount releases flaming out at the box office, the lead article in the Business Section of today's New York Time is about the financial troubles at Paramount ("Troubles at Paramount: Is it Just the Money?"). Here's some excerpts:

-- "Paramount, [several Hollywood executives and producers said], had become increasingly difficult place to work because its management was stingy with money and not inclined to share creative control."

-- "They don't want to make agressive, innovative movies." said one producer.

-- "Paramount has stumbled this year with only 2 of its top 10 movies taking in more than $100M" [the Italian Job and 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days'].

-- "[Paramount's current financial numbers] are dismal. Operating income at the [Viacom] entertainment unit, which is dominated by Paramount, fell 32 percent to $205.4 million,, in the first nine months of 2003, and revenue rose by a scant 2 percent, to $2.8 billion. Worse, the unit is not showing any growth. Analysts expect [Paramount's] operating profit to be lower than in 2000."

This last quote doesn't bode well for any film at Paramount -- like Indy IV -- that is currently in pre-production. The problems summarized by the article are consistent with what I've heard for years -- that it's not the finished product that matters but coming in on or under budget. Sure RotLA was done on the cheap, but I question whether Indy IV (with presumably at least one major salary) can be made cheaply enough for the bean counters without corners being cut somewhere (say in areas like special effects and set design that are very important to Indy fans).

Canyon

If indeed there is a problem at Paramount, perhaps Ford, Spielberg and Lucas may partially finance the film themselves.

Joe Brody

If a movie like Master & Commander is coming in around $125-$135M to produce and other big-budget summer action movies are around $100M, I'm sure Indy IV's cost will be somewhere in that ballpark. I'm not saying that the Indy IV is gonna be made for peanuts. My concern is that an embedded part of Paramount's culture is making the cheapest movie possible -- and now funds are thin. So with the countless thousands of decisions that go into making a movie (from costuming, to sets, to what gets done on location vs. backstage, to much to blow on stunts, etc.) I wonder if the finished product will suffer given this culture.

That's why I'm asking about control and how the financing and how costs are being carved up. In this day and age, no studio bears all the cost (and risk) of making a big ticket movie. I'm just curious who is putting up money and how much.

Webley

Joe Brody said:
I'm just curious who is putting up money and how much.

"Top men."

You had to see that one comeing.

[Edited by Webley on 12-06-2003 at 05:42 pm]

Webley

Canyon said:
If indeed there is a problem at Paramount, perhaps Ford, Spielberg and Lucas may partially finance the film themselves.

I could see this happening the 3 of them love Indy so much.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Renderking Fisk said:
On one of the TREK boards I've been visiting these past few weeks I got into major trouble with one of the other members for writting what I'm about to post here again.

Paramount is in some serious trouble. Some of it isn't with money but creativly. Year after year they hand out blank checks to Rick Berman for cranking out more crap. The viewer-numbers for ENTERPRISE are dismal while it's the one show UPN is counting on to keep that network afloat. This is AFTER STAR TREK - VOYAGER had a garanteed 7 season run.

For those Barbara Adams? types whose lives revolve around TREK? it needs to go. STAR TREK needs to die. It needs to die a quick painless death. Trekaholics need to check into Majel Barrett Clinics and get clean.

For folks who see TREK as entertainment and something to watch on Wednesday night, it needs to go for them as well. Cable Television as a whole needs to go? cause you?re paying big bucks to watch COMERSHALS half the time.

Rick Berman needs to get fired. He?s a huge Welfare recipient on the Paramount Entitlement program. Everyone who?s ever worked under Berman needs pink-slips. They took the uniqueness out of TREK. Used to be after TOS you had to wait a few years for a new movie. With the exception of Shatner?s quest for the Holy Grail in FINAL FRONTIER they were getting better. NEXT GEN was great, so they put on DS9? which in turn brought us VOYAGER. Having STAR TREK VOYAGER on for SEVEN seasons is absurd. Berman is the only executive producer that?s been rewarded for LOSING viewers by insulting them.

Case in point ? Jeri Ryan. Strikingly beautiful woman who just couldn?t act. No tenderness, no venerability, no real charisma. She wasn?t hired because of her talent; she was hired because of her assets. It?s NASA ? meets BAYWATCH. I don?t think it was her fault? the scripts sucked.

They should give it a break for a few years then bring it back from where DS9 left off (Plus how many years it?s been)and not start over again like the?ve done with ENTERPRISE.

PARAMOUNT is the real problem. They sink everything into TREK and it shows that they do not intend to change their attitude. They?re going to keep driving TREK into the ground so long as they have folks to suck it up. They?re the enabliers and the brewers of the addicting drug for the Trekaholics.

ABOVE ALL ELSE... PARAMOUNT had a syndcated version of THE UNTOUCHABLES and not enough people knew it was on the air until it was canceled.

You ARE the smartest Ravener! Well said, I agree with everything you said, I just read the post, shaking my head in agreement

and a nod to Webley, nice one

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Ren I agree partially, Trek needs a new head, another Gene to take over from Rick (like what is happening at the Disney Company). Enterprise is headed in a great direction with this season single-handedly saving its butt from the fire, its ratings are the best on UPN. Personally, I think UPN should die, and let Enterprise go into syndication like TNG used to be.
BTW, Voyager and later seasons of DS9 sucked rocks big time!

westford

Enterprise is shown on Channel 4 over here, whereas the other Star Trek shows were shown on BBC2. Not sure why, but it could be that DS9 wasn't attracting viewers, so the BBC decided not to take on another Trekkie show...

If Paramount's best two films this year have been Italian Job and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, it's not looking great for Indy. Maybe they're hoping a new Indy film will help to turn the company around somehow...?

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Concerning the money, I doubt there will be any problems. Good or not the movie's gonna make tones of money (kinda like Episode1) so Paramount's certainly going to hand them a big budjet. It's not like they're taking any risks.

Webley

I can think of about 1338 guys and girls who will shell out the $$$ to see this movie over and over.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I think I'll set up a "PayPal" account where each of you can donate a dollar to the production cost of IJ4. If we surpass 1 mil, I'll donate it to Paramont.

If not I'll invest it in the market...

Webley

apalehorse said:
I think I'll set up a "PayPal" account where each of you can donate a dollar to the production cost of IJ4. If we surpass 1 mil, I'll donate it to Paramont.

If not I'll invest it in the market...

You should change your name to Soupy Sails.