Of Cereal, Rides, and the Younger Generation

Luckylighter

I had to share this recent experience I had at the supermarket the other day, because it makes me kinda hopeful for future Indy fans.

There were these two young boys, brothers I guess -- one was about 6 or 7, the other no more than 4 or 5. They were both wearing Indiana Jones T-shirts (looked like the ones they sell in Disneyland).

I was waiting for my girlfriend in the cereal aisle as they walked passed me, and I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear, especially when they both flipped out over the Indiana Jones cereal that they discovered on one of the shelves. I mean, you would've thought they witnessed the second coming of Christ, that's how excited these little tykes were. It amused me to no end.

As far as box office predictions, and the doomsayers who feel that Indy isn't relavent to kids anymore, I submit these two kids as evidence that enthusiasm and excitment for the Man in the Hat is still alive and kicking, even among youngsters who weren't even born yet when the last movie came out. And I think we partially have Disney to thank for that, for keeping the enthusiasm alive with the stunt show and the rides at their various theme parks.

I think the younger generation hasn't been given enough credit for being into Indy, and I think the pundits have forgotten about the Disney rides. I'm sure many kids got their first taste of Indy through the rides and attractions, and associate a fun time with Indiana Jones. And I'm sure a lot of children are just as excited, if not more so, as us older fans to see the new movie, and it's probably because of their exposure to the Indy-universe through Disney.

sarah navarro

About a week ago i was about to start a thread about this same thing.I was at the store and i saw some youngins and they were so excited to see the Indy snacks but there mom said no.I was so happy to see other people like me,i was grinning ear to ear juyst like you!:D
Even adults,when they see me walking through the stores with my indy food they always stop to ask me about the new Indy(y)

Kingsley

Good or bad, Indy 4 will do a great service to the franchise... Indiana Jones Icon will not be forgotten so easy in the dust of time, because the adults of tomorrow will prolong what we, adults of today, are appreciating so much!

Am I speaking as a politician? LOL! sorry.

But Lucas, even with those cereal boxes, is somehow giving us something we can share between generations. I will give him some credit for that!

Echo22

Hah! - Cereal boxes?! Wait 'til you see a toy store in about a month.

(PS. I bought a box of Honeycombs last week - just because of the pics on the back of the box. I haven't eaten Honeycombs in 15 years)

My 14 year old niece and her friends are almost as excited as I am about the new movie. I have a cousin who is now 13 and she knows more than I want to know about Indy 4 and is as big a geek as I am regarding the original three movies.

Why?

Easy explanation: The original movies are timeless! It's almost impossible to name the year that they were released. When I told my niece I was a year older than she is now when I saw Last Crusade for the first time she was beside herself. When I told her I was half her age when I saw Raiders, she fainted (kidding) But, you get my point. What also contributes is the fact that many of these kids have parents that were big Raiders fans when they were younger and probably own the DVD's that were released a few years ago. It's a tradition that will be passed on through generations. It's almost unheard of that we're getting a fourth movie after so long - and by the looks of it, the powers that be are following that same tradition.

So, here's my prediction: We'll be the ones hoping for a fifth movie - but it'll be the younger ones who are demanding it.

The_Raiders

We have like hardly any Indy anything at my store!!!! The only Indy cerial I saw was liek 3 boxes of rasin bran :mad: in fact that's the only Indy mercahdise I've seen :mad: :mad: :mad:

Adamwankenobi

I finally located some Indy merchandise in my local Wal Mart: some cereal boxes, snickers bars, and M&Ms. I just stood there studying all of it. Everyone looked at me so funny. :p

ReggieSnake

Adamwankenobi said:
I finally located some Indy merchandise in my local Wal Mart: some cereal boxes, snickers bars, and M&Ms. I just stood there studying all of it. Everyone looked at me so funny. :p
That happened to me too, only at Super Saver.;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
No Indy food here, thank God. I don't see any kids at the moment, going on about Indy (however, my brother who's 11, is starting to go on about it but is kind of scared of going to see it because of scary stuff like aliens, he's not a fan of the Mummy movies, he gets scared). However, a really big Indy billboard has turned up at my uni train station and that gets people going on the train.

And people always look at me strangely at the comics store, when I come into the store just for the Topps cards, pay and walk out.

Of course, the 3 week marathon on TV has helped get people's attention as well as that radio competition that I won tickets through. Mind you, no one was really as excited as me when they won which was strange. You'd think they would ring through for the tickets coz it was for Indy not just the fact it was free tickets. But, anyhow slowly but surely Australia's beginning to wake up. The lego's are selling very well. The motorbike one's like completely gone and it's the same story with the Well of Souls one. I was totally shocked when I saw this little boy actually go out and buy the truck chase pack.