Your lamest Indy collectible

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
I added some foliage and it serves it's purpose, though it reminds me more of Chauchilla than Akator.

100_0161.jpg

Is that The Temple Of Akator Race Game you have for the spiral stairs? Also are the extra warriors customs or from another series of figures? If customs, what was recipe please? And if another series which series? Thanks

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Is that The Temple Of Akator Race Game you have for the spiral stairs? Also are the extra warriors customs or from another series of figures? If customs, what was recipe please? And if another series which series? Thanks

Yes, that's the Akatar Race Game - I had to unclip a few steps to fit it into the corner. The other warriors are the Pirates of the Carribean Cannibal Chief by Zizzle. There's no recipe as I've left them just how Zizzle made them, but it would be simple to make bodypaint variations so you could have a whole tribe of them!

zizzlecannibalchief.jpg

In the photo, behind Mutt's motorcycle, is one of the pieces from the Indy room trap set which were really quite well sculpted and painted.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
The fact that they're vintage doesn't do it for me. (In the same way that I prefer plastic Britains soldiers and animals to their lead predecessors, and modern Star Wars figures to the originals).

Indiana Jones was hard done by with regards to toy lines. The vintage Kenner figures just look bad, with poor sculpting even by the standards of many Star Wars

Indy action figures only really came alive with the Sideshow 12" Raiders and the Hasbro 3 3/4"waves

While I agree the sculps are not great, my vintage stuff reminds me of being a kid. Raiders came out 2 months before my sixth birthday so I played with vintage Indy and SW. Which also makes them special to me. Just curious where you a kid in 81? I'll agree that figures have definitely improved over the years though some of the Hasbro stuff also is poorly done. An example of sometime's something is better than nothing. We all are entitled to our opinions just curious if vintage Kenner was part of your childhood?

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
While I agree the sculps are not great, my vintage stuff reminds me of being a kid. Raiders came out 2 months before my sixth birthday so I played with vintage Indy and SW. Which also makes them special to me. Just curious where you a kid in 81? I'll agree that figures have definitely improved over the years though some of the Hasbro stuff also is poorly done. An example of sometime's something is better than nothing. We all are entitled to our opinions just curious if vintage Kenner was part of your childhood?

In 1981 I was a kid buying Star Wars figures, and out of nostalgia I've kept the full set of figures that I accumulated. At the time I never saw Raiders figures in UK toy stores, and never saw the LJN Temple of Doom ones either.

Looking through action figure collector books and magazines later I was intrigued by the Kenner Indy truck and the playsets, but not really by the figures. I bought a carded Kenner Cairo Swordsman at a toy fare out of Indy curiosity in the 1990s, but only because he was cheap. Figurewise that was a line I'd only buy if it was cheap.

When Hasbro (or was it still Kenner then?) announced they were releasing a new series of 3 3/4" Star Wars figures in the mid '90s I was excited at he prospect. Though their first muscle-bound waves didn't tell the real truth of what was to come.

I got the same excitement all over again when I discovered that Hasbro had released a new Indy range, and in most cases it was a range that had learnt lessons from their success with Star Wars.

I prefer action figures to statues, even if I never move them again after they're posed. And nowadays I'm more interested in having the best looking action figures possible, rather than catching up on less aesthetically pleasing old lines out of nostalgia. My Indy nostalgia resides mostly with printed material, since I had no contact with the figures as a kid.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
In 1981 I was a kid buying Star Wars figures, and out of nostalgia I've kept the full set of figures that I accumulated. At the time I never saw Raiders figures in UK toy stores, and never saw the LJN Temple of Doom ones either.

Looking through action figure collector books and magazines later I was intrigued by the Kenner Indy truck and the playsets, but not really by the figures. I bought a carded Kenner Cairo Swordsman at a toy fare out of Indy curiosity in the 1990s, but only because he was cheap. Figurewise that was a line I'd only buy if it was cheap.

When Hasbro (or was it still Kenner then?) announced they were releasing a new series of 3 3/4" Star Wars figures in the mid '90s I was excited at he prospect. Though their first muscle-bound waves didn't tell the real truth of what was to come.

I got the same excitement all over again when I discovered that Hasbro had released a new Indy range, and in most cases it was a range that had learnt lessons from their success with Star Wars.

I prefer action figures to statues, even if I never move them again after they're posed. And nowadays I'm more interested in having the best looking action figures possible, rather than catching up on less aesthetically pleasing old lines out of nostalgia. My Indy nostalgia resides mostly with printed material, since I had no contact with the figures as a kid.

Don?t blame you there. Was just curious. Also the 97 SW was a joke ( or were they some SW/He-man hybrid?) and I bought some in 97 and have replaced most with better looking figures. I will also buy the new version of Indy stuff when and if made so I agree appearance is crucial. I have bought the newer stuff for that reason, and the ones I had as a kid of SW and Indy for nostalgia. But since they don't have a personal connection for you I can understand why you feel that way.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Don?t blame you there. Was just curious. Also the 97 SW was a joke ( or were they some SW/He-man hybrid?) and I bought some in 97 and have replaced most with better looking figures. I will also buy the new version of Indy stuff when and if made so I agree appearance is crucial. I have bought the newer stuff for that reason, and the ones I had as a kid of SW and Indy for nostalgia. But since they don't have a personal connection for you I can understand why you feel that way.

In a strange way I regard the lame '90s muscle bound SW figures as a sub-line that looked to be inspired by the early SW Marvel comics (and I have a lot of nostalgia for those!)

Lameness and greatness is very much in the eye, if not more so in the mind. :hat:

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
In a strange way I regard the lame '90s muscle bound SW figures as a sub-line that looked to be inspired by the early SW Marvel comics (and I have a lot of nostalgia for those!)

Lameness and greatness is very much in the eye, if not more so in the mind. :hat:

True words my friend. I didn't realize they were based on the comic. I got back into Star Wars heavily again when they did Special Edition in 1997. So I thought they just made 'em ripped for no apparent reason. I still have a ton of those. Was Leia buff in the comics at that time too? That figure is quite man-ish, and bow-legged. She always gets a chuckle out of me when I see her in my collection. ;)

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
True words my friend. I didn't realize they were based on the comic. I got back into Star Wars heavily again when they did Special Edition in 1997. So I thought they just made 'em ripped for no apparent reason. I still have a ton of those. Was Leia buff in the comics at that time too? That figure is quite man-ish, and bow-legged. She always gets a chuckle out of me when I see her in my collection. ;)

We wandered a fair bit off topic, but...

A broad-shouldered Luke,

star-wars-marvel1.jpg

A ripped Han and Chewie,

starwarsjq3.jpg

There wasn't much excuse for leia though!

Montana Smith

twlightzone1205 said:

These figures were released by Star Toys in 1987. Indy was packaged three different ways, with the third one having an alligator.

They aren't listed as bootlegs in my old Tomart's Price Guide to Action Figures (1992), but simply as "a foreign item" which "numerous US collectors have shown an interest in". Back then they were valued at $75 each mint in mint packet, even though they were lame!

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
These figures were released by Star Toys in 1987. Indy was packaged three different ways, with the third one having an alligator.

They aren't listed as bootlegs in my old Tomart's Price Guide to Action Figures (1992), but simply as "a foreign item" which "numerous US collectors have shown an interest in". Back then they were valued at $75 each mint in mint packet, even though they were lame!

Did they make other characters or just Indy?

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Did they make other characters or just Indy?

It was just three Indy figures. Odd that they chose to put the 'Mapa Mundi' [sic] on the cards.

The actual Mappa Mundi is at Hereford Cathedral, less than twenty miles from where I'm sitting now.

twlightzone1205

I got these about 12 years ago and thought they were interesting. I remember seeing pictures of a set on a website where there was one packaged with rats ironic 2 years befor LC. The bubbles are kind of cheap. I will try to post pics of the back of the cards.

Brooke Logan

Explorer1074 said:
Actually the collector's plate doesn't look too bad....although it does look like Indy is wearing leather pants...lol

I think the plate looks really good, I wouldn't consider it lame!:D