Novels meant for adults?

groves

Are the Indiana Jones novels meant for adults?
I have never read any, but I see on Amazon that they are all 200 and some odd pages long. This seems like the length of a childrens novel???
Hardly seems long enough to generate a really great story.
Am I wrong?
I would hope that the Indiana Jones franchise could parallel the Star Wars franchise and create some great novels with a little length and substance to them.
Am I wrong? (Again I haven't read any so please let me know).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, they're pretty pulpy books, and as such aren't quite intended for kids, but neither are they the sort of literature anyone would be proud to have read. With that said, one the age question, I think I probably read them in 4th grade or so, and then sped through them a second time a few summers later.

The stories aren't bad, and they have some nice touches - if you're looking for some low-stress reading to fall asleep to, these are good options, but I wouldn't spend any prime daylight reading hours on them.

Finn

Staff member
"Prime day light reading hours?"

I think any time you spend reading, whatever you spend reading, is not wasted time. It's true for the rest of it what the good Prof said, but does one really have to make a difference between Tolstoy and Max McCoy? (I know I don't.) If you wanna check 'em out, check 'em out. It's as simple as that.

QueZTone

yeah, and as for age recommendation concerned....my mom also really enjoyed reading them (she reads just about anything though haha)

I first read one when i was 14 or so I think. I must say I read through them a lot faster now than I did back then though.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Finn said:
"Prime day light reading hours?"

I think any time you spend reading, whatever you spend reading, is not wasted time. It's true for the rest of it what the good Prof said, but does one really have to make a difference between Tolstoy and Max McCoy? (I know I don't.) If you wanna check 'em out, check 'em out. It's as simple as that.

Yeah, I was projecting a bit there, I guess - I'm basically out like a light if I read at night, so if something's at a higher level, I'm going to end up missing a lot. That's all I meant by it.

groves

I think everyone is missing the point.
My question was never implying that these should be great works of literature. I was referring to the length of the books. Since they are so short, it seems as though it would be very difficult to generate a great story.
Really, I just thought it would be great to have a longer more in depth book.
That's all I was saying. Geeezzz.

Finn

Staff member
groves said:
Really, I just thought it would be great to have a longer more in depth book.
That'd certainly be interesting, yeah, but Indy, after all, is a pulp hero...

Viper

You can always learn Deutsch!

But that would be sort of like Russian Roulette, as those novels are apparently crap.

HovitosKing

They're not written to be kid's books, but I'd place them somewhere around the young adult area (maybe slightly more advanced). They're short, simple, and entertaining--what I like to call "fluff." If they get the novels going again, I'd like to see more sophisticated storytelling and plots, but I won't be holding my breath.