"This means something, this is important."

Luckylighter

There have been some posts and articles around here citing a rumor that Spielberg had dusted off one of his old alien props from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

Maybe all this talk of that old classic led me to check out the Wikipedia page for it, I'm not sure. Well, for whatever reason, I recently found myself on the "Close Encounters" Wikipedia entry, and found something that may or may not connect to the dreaded alien plot device we expect in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

The entry had this to say regarding "Close Encounters":

"The enigmatic title refers to the three kinds of close encounters with UFOs, as categorized by the noted astronomer and UFO investigator Dr J. Allen Hynek, who defined Close Encounters of the First Kind as Sighting, the Second Kind as Evidence, and the Third Kind as Contact. In line with Hynek's rejection of the extraterrestrial hypothesis during his life, (and somewhat in line with the interdimensional ideas of Hynek's colleague, the astrophysicist, computer expert and UFO investigator Dr. Jacques Vallee), THE UFOs AND THEIR OCCUPANTS, AS DEPICTED IN THE FILM, ARE NOT NECESSARILY REGARDED AS ALIENS AND ARE NOT DESCRIBED AS SUCH IN THE FILM." (Emphasis added by me)

With Spielberg potentially adding an alien prop to Indy 4 as a reference to his old film, could this be an indication of the how the "aliens" are going to be depicted in "Crystal Skull"?

Add to that the vague explanation provided by Frank Marshall:

"The theory is they are shaped by higher powers or alien powers or came from another world, or an ancient Mayan civilization had the powers."

Could it be that in the end, they shouldn't be interpreted as aliens at all? Maybe they're entities from another dimension.

How would everyone feel if they were less X-Files, and more H.P. Lovecraft inspired? Honestly, I know I wouldn't have a problem with that.

crowmagnumman

I still prefer the Indy movies to be religious, but inter dimensional beings sounds a bit better than aliens. Read Mothman Prophecies. There's some great stuff in there about that.

MaxPhactor23

Well, I'll say this much. I'm not wild about either, but a more Lovecraft inspired origin I would vastly prefer. It would certainly be at least mildly more in sync with the previous films continuity then outright Aliens.

NoCamels

Although, you know, it could just be like the Star Wars reference in Raiders: appropriately hidden in the background somewhere (like in a shop or movie theater window). If someone heard "R2D2 is in Raiders of the Lost Ark" before they had seen that it's just hidden in the hieroglyphs, it would sound bad too. ;)

OmegaSeamaster

It would be great if the movie sets you up to believe the skull is alien in origin, only to have the truth be something terrestrial and shocking.

But seeing there's that Roswell crate, that may be wishful thinking. Of course, we don't know the skull is actually the object in that crate.

I wouldn't put it past Spielberg to just have the group find the "Roswell" crate in the warehouse as a bit of humor, putting it in the teaser to get people thinking along the wrong lines.

Anything can happen.

Professor Jones

crowmagnumman said:
I still prefer the Indy movies to be religious

Couldn't agree more... the "mystical" feeling couples with the archaeology ambience, with the historical mood, with the classic-style, with the old-great-adventure tones way way much more than the "science fictional" feeling.

Matthew

OmegaSeamaster said:
It would be great if the movie sets you up to believe the skull is alien in origin, only to have the truth be something terrestrial and shocking.
I hope so much for that and it doesn't seem too unlikely.

IndyFan89

OmegaSeamaster said:

But seeing there's that Roswell crate, that may be wishful thinking. Of course, we don't know the skull is actually the object in that crate.

I wouldn't put it past Spielberg to just have the group find the "Roswell" crate in the warehouse as a bit of humor, putting it in the teaser to get people thinking along the wrong lines.

Anything can happen.
That Makes sence.

I don't think you will ever SEE a alien in CS, but they may be spoken of. I think Indy is supposed to be the oposite of Star WArs and Speilberg has already done a bunch of alien movies, honestly it would be a bad move for them to take a movie that was set apart and diffrent from every thing else they done and one of the most anticapated returns of all time and just make it like every other film they've done.

No Ticket

Professor Jones said:
Couldn't agree more... the "mystical" feeling couples with the archaeology ambience, with the historical mood, with the classic-style, with the old-great-adventure tones way way much more than the "science fictional" feeling.

Yeah but they already did the religious thing TWICE. Soooo...

No Ticket

Adamwankenobi said:
Three times: the Ark, the Sankara stones, and the Grail. :cool:

How were the Sankara stones religious? I don't remember the village ever mentioning that the stones were related to their religion. Merely that they were mysterious and had power to bring life to the village. I never thought of them as a religious artifact. If you wanna go down that route, then this crystal skull could be worshipped by that tribe at the temple and considered "sacred" making it a "religious" artifact as well.

metalinvader

No Ticket said:
How were the Sankara stones religious? I don't remember the village ever mentioning that the stones were related to their religion. Merely that they were mysterious and had power to bring life to the village. I never thought of them as a religious artifact. If you wanna go down that route, then this crystal skull could be worshipped by that tribe at the temple and considered "sacred" making it a "religious" artifact as well.

Remember in the jungle camp scene were Indy is retelling the legend of the stones,How they were brought down by the Hindu god Shiva to Sankara so he could "Go forth and battle evil".So,an artifact being cast down from a God seems to point down the religious road.....

But as you may or may not know the actual Sankara myth was made up for the movie and was based on the Shiva lingam stones.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

metalinvader said:
Remember in the jungle camp scene were Indy is retelling the legend of the stones,How they were brought down by the Hindu god Shiva to Sankara so he could "Go forth and battle evil".So,an artifact being cast down from a God seems to point down the religious road.....

But as you may or may not know the actual Sankara myth was made up for the movie and was based on the Shiva lingam stones.

That's what I was getting at. :hat:

No Ticket

metalinvader said:

Yeah, so who's to say this movie isn't a "religious" artifact of some kind as well. KOTCS I mean.

WillKill4Food

No Ticket said:
Yeah, so who's to say this movie isn't a "religious" artifact of some kind as well. KOTCS I mean.
Well, it is Kindom of the Crystal Skull, which means that the Skull has some significance to those in the kingdom. Perhaps they worship it or use it to predict the future (like the end of time in 2012?). So, it most likely is religious.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Luckylighter said:
There have been some posts and articles around here citing a rumor that Spielberg had dusted off one of his old alien props from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."...that.

(excellent post, good to have you back.....)

eazybox

I never thought of Lovecraft. I think it would be fantastic if they used some ideas inspired by his stories, which have rarely if ever been translated effectively to film. Of course, I'm probably setting myself up for a big disappointment here...

Jack

Last edited:

NoCamels

OmegaSeamaster said:
That would be interesting. And in Sputnik was launched in 1957, so everyone was starting to think more about space/aliens/Sci-Fi...

Last edited: