The Search for Noah's Ark

time-raider

If this discovery is a hoax, then all it accomplishes is to tarnish their names, but if it is a real 4,800 year old boat, then it is an important find. wheather it is noahs ark or not, yes?

I mean, 4000 year old boat on top of a mountain, IMPORTANT!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn

Staff member
You know, if these people really hope to prove the old tale is true, I kind of wonder why they look for a 5,000 year old boat on the top of a single mountain when it would be far easier to look for signs of flood on the 20,000 square miles surrounding that mountain.

With that kind of mass of water, there should be aplenty. However, oddly enough, none has been found.

<small>5...4...3...2...1... for the "But the Lord" argument.</small>

time-raider

Finn said:
You know, if these people really hope to prove the old tale is true, I kind of wonder why they look for a 5,000 year old boat on the top of a single mountain when it would be far easier to look for signs of flood on the 20,000 square miles surrounding that mountain.

With that kind of mass of water, there should be aplenty. However, oddly enough, none has been found.

sure silt, minerals, something!

indy34

The problem with these people are they're not real scientist and don't even act like it. They come in already with a conclusion and look for any evidence that could support it, where as a scientists would accumulate evidence then see if they could come to a conclusion. 4,000 year old wood in the side of a mountain isn't very compelling evidence for Noah's ark, 4,000 year old wood on the side of a mountain could mean anything.

Montana Smith

Finn said:

Once again I applaud the Finnmeister for his voice of reason. (y)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
...With that kind of mass of water, there should be aplenty. However, oddly enough, none has been found.

Have you ever been there my good man. It's desolate. I'd rather pack-up all evidence of existence there, then to leave my dead bones in that part of the world...

~he said amusingly

FedoraHead

If it is a boat and it is of that time period, how does that make it the Ark? It wasn't the only boat was it? Did the whole Earth flood or just an area? I mean did the Indiana's in America all die also?

Montana Smith

The story of Noah and the flood is proof enough in itself, that it was just a story.

There was undoubtedly a flood of some kind, which has entered into world myth (the Chinese also have a Noah character). Yet the idea that a god tells a man to gather pairs of animals to save them from extinction is biologically unviable. The result would be inbreeding followed by extinction. It was also practically unviable. How would Noah feed the animals? How would he prevent them eating one another?

Just a story, with a background of truth which has been lost in the oral tradition of retelling. After ice ages and mini ice ages, the sea level was bound to rise, and low-lying land would suffer as a consequence. That it rose as high as Mt. Ararat is pretty unlikely, but it makes for a good story, if you like that sort of thing.

FedoraHead

Montana Smith said:
Just a story, with a background of truth which has been lost in the oral tradition of retelling. After ice ages and mini ice ages, the sea level was bound to rise, and low-lying land would suffer as a consequence. That it rose as high as Mt. Ararat is pretty unlikely, but it makes for a good story, if you like that sort of thing.

I think when it comes to the bible, it's a story and you learn for the lesson within it. The stories or just that. Stories. I have a friend that believes it's word for word the truth so I asked him about the Ark, how could it be true and his answer to anything is "the power of God, God can make it happen. God feeds them, watched over them". There is no way to debate a topic if the answer is always "God's power, he can do anything".

time-raider

Montana Smith said:
There was undoubtedly a flood of some kind, which has entered into world myth (the Chinese also have a Noah character). Yet the idea that a god tells a man to gather pairs of animals to save them from extinction is biologically unviable. The result would be inbreeding followed by extinction. It was also practically unviable. How would Noah feed the animals? How would he prevent them eating one another?

I agree with this statement, but to say its unviable... If each culture or nation had their own noah, and each of those noahs gathered a pair of each animal to save in their general area, the problem becomes more solveable. As to the not eating each other part, I've personally seen stranger couplings of animals that are natural predatary enemies. So...take from it what you will.

Dr Bones

My bible kowledge is very rusty but iIf you take the story to it's literal extreme, one boat and two of every animal....impossible.

Noah would have to travel the globe to find sepcies we haven't even discovered yet, or every animal find it's way to Noah, which is again equally preposterous.

Divine intervention would be the only way the impossible could be made possible, yet the task was placed upon Noah.

The only other alternative is that the story is inaccurate or entirely fictitious.

"Evangelical explorers" as they were decribed in the article are only going to to look for proof of God, Noah etc and ignore facts or evidence to the contrary. Hardly scientific, unbiased research. The creationists will tint the "findings" and defiantly ignore any arguments against as always.

As much as I would love this to be Noah's ark and we then find more of the true story.... the finding of ancient wood up a mountain proves nothing other that there's some old wood up a mountain.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Dr Bones said:
My bible kowledge is very rusty but iIf you take the story to it's literal extreme, one boat and two of every animal....impossible.
Or then there were far less animals back then as there are now; they've just spent the last few millennia diversifying.

If this is the case, the joke just got loads better, since it'd mean Darwin was quite right.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Or then there were far less animals back then as there are now, they've just spent the last few millennia diversifying.

If this is the case, the joke just got loads better, since it'd mean Darwin was quite right.

That would be funny!

Imagine though how may species of animals there are in the world. Imagine how many insects and spiders would be destroyed if the entire world flooded at the same time. The story is an impossibility, even if there were a million Noahs all doing the same job.

The story is a metaphor for wiping the slate clean. It most likely has its roots in stories told of when localized flooding occured after ice ages. Communities would have had to up sticks and move to higher ground, taking their animals with them.

In the story, the world that Noah knew was turned to sea - he had to send birds out to scout for land. What happened to all that water? If the Ark had ended up on Ararat, then that was an immense volume of extra water on the earth. It's fantastical.

Science can give us better explanations of natural phenomena, yet there are still teams striving to prove that these most fantastical explanations are correct?

tambourineman

The thing is that many myths and legends are embellishments and exaggerations of something that does have its roots in fact. Im not religious at all, and of course the idea of a boat that has two of every animal is completely ridiculous. But that doesnt mean that there isnt some truth somewhere that the story was based on, that some guy didnt build a huge boat and put his farm animals on it or something like that. And theres evidence for a variety of huge floods and deluges in ancient times that could be the biblical flood.

Too many detractors of biblical stories take the stories as being literal, and therefore instantly proven false due to being physically or scientifically impossible. But you have to look at them as huge exaggerations that are possibly rooted in fact, and put your mind into the minds of people at the time, when everything that we'd just call natural phenomenon was to them an act of god and stories were written of them.

As to this supposed Noah's Ark "discovery", what ever it is I'd be interested to find out, and what it was doing at the top of Mt Ararat.
695435-hong-kong-turkey-religion-archaeology-noahs-ark.jpg

Spiked

"Well, I mean that for nearly three thousand years man has been searching for the lost ark. It's not something to be taken lightly. No one knows its secrets."

New research might point out to location, remains of Noah's Ark