Willie Scott and Short Round searching for Atlantis

I have an idea where you can return the characters of Willie Scott and Short Round in a search for Atlantis. The movie will still be Indiana Jones 5 but it will have a number of supporting characters (Willie, Short Round, Marion, Mutt, maybe Sallah) so that not all the stunts need be done by an older Harrison Ford/Indiana Jones. It is the early 1960's and Short Round is Willie's assistant in a nightclub in Havana, Cuba shortly after the takeover of Castro (think Bermuda Triangle and Cuban Missile Crisis) and they stumble upon a clue in the search for Atlantis (the opening scenes would be sorta like Last Crusade where Harrison Ford is not seen until slightly later). After the intro scene with Willie and Short Round they cut to a short scene of Indiana Jones on another mini-adventure and then the college scene where Willie intrudes on Indy giving a lecture.

That is just my brief idea, it is basically based on the premise of Willie and Short Round returning and it not just being a pointless cameo. The villains would be from several factions including Cuban revolutionaries, American mobsters (think Godfather Part II) and possibly the Soviets again all looking for the clues to Atlantis. Also a scene in a movie theater where they are showing Dr. No as a nod to Sean Connery.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

I defo think Cuba in the 1950's is a good idea for a locale... and I certainly think that gangsters/mobsters would make for a different kind of foe (for Indiana Jones at least), but I'm not convinced about the return of Willie Scott and Short Round as I personally didn't think they were that great in TOD (as characters).

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I defo think Cuba in the 1950's is a good idea for a locale... and I certainly think that gangsters/mobsters would make for a different kind of foe (for Indiana Jones at least), but I'm not convinced about the return of Willie Scott and Short Round as I personally didn't think they were that great in TOD (as characters).

My thoughts as well.

Cuba and gangsters (y)

Willie and Shorty (n)

I would rather see Indy progressing, rather than relying on old acquaintances again.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
My thoughts as well.

Cuba and gangsters (y)

Willie and Shorty (n)

I would rather see Indy progressing, rather than relying on old acquaintances again.

Me three.

And I don't want to see Atlantis either, frankly. Not too fond of stomping on the prime examples of extended universe material.

Oh, and any scene set at a theater needs to be an Indy-style adventure, not Bondian.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Oh, and any scene set at a theater needs to be an Indy-style adventure, not Bondian.

A re-run of Secret of the Incas might cause Indy to rub his chin, unless he'd already been a consultant on the production.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
"And they said they'd tell my story! Bullsh!t!"

:D

"A scene for scene telling of my quest for the Chachapoyan Fertility Idol? That's it, I'm done with these Hollywood Follies once and for all!"

Not bad! I like it.

A couple of things...

I think LF has pretty much said no to Atlantis since Fate of Atlantis was an official story in the Indy canon (although I could be wrong).

Willie should be no more than a small cameo. Would have liked to see her and Shorty at the wedding in Indy 4, but it would have caused too much exposition probably.

Would definitely like to see Shorty again, but they'd have to axe the Mutt character which I don't think they will do. Plus, Indy had too many sidekicks in the last two movies (LC - Henry, Sallah, and Marcus + leading lady; CS - Mac, Mutt, and Oxley + leading lady). By my count that's at least one sidekick too many. I am one of the minority who loved ToD and having SHorty + Willie was just enough to keep the story moving without taking away too much.

Lets get back to Jones, a female lead, and possibly one more sidekick, not a major one like son, daughter, etc.

Like Cuba. If Atlantis is off the table, something to do with the Bermuda Triangle perhaps, or another lost continent, etc.

Just my two cents. I love these discussions. Wish we could all gather our own ideas and get some Indy stories out there. There seems to be a lot to tell!

Brooke Logan

To the OP, I like your idea. I would love to see Willie and Short Round return and especially meet and interact with Marion. That would be some fun stuff.:)