The All Things Alien Thread

Professor Jones

Finn said:
If Area 51 is in the movie, they might just be props in the background, visible only for few seconds. Bit like the cameo those two most famous droids in the galaxy had in RotLA.

Ditto. If it is true, that's how it'll be.

sttngfan1701d

Kingsley said:
What!? :sick:

If that's true... why do they take such uncool ideas, that need a huge amount of work to be turned into something cool?
I think it's not an impossible task, but almost.
There are so many ideas for the plot that are cool by itself! Aliens aren't among them.

If any temple or whatever turns out to be a spaceship, I'll be baffled and pissed off. That's been done to death on Stargate already.

sarah navarro

ALIEN!!?>!?>!?!!?!>!:rjf;owrjgioguwoerutgiore!!!!!!
NO!

ehhh,its just one of those dumb rumors everyone gets worked up about,im not gonna even take this one seriously.:rolleyes:

JimmyPSHayes

I'm going with popular opinion on this one. I'm sure they'll be in the background like 3-PO and R2. If not, I hope that Indy can duck the popcorn that I'm gonna throw at the screen!!

FordFan

Is it even confirmed that this movie will be PG-13? I don't know about you guys, but if it's rated PG, I'll be a little disappointed. Coupled with cutesy aliens, I'll be really disappointed. Yeah, the first two were PG, but PG was completely different back then. Not trying to pick peanuts out of elephant **** here, but I'm just putting a "what if" out there.

deckard24

I was just thinking the same thing FordFan. After just recently watching LC, probably the tamest of the original 3 films, I began to wonder if KotCS will be neutered a bit. Scenes in LC like Indy killing the 3 Nazi soldiers on the tank with a single shot from the Luger, Henry Sr. blowing up the entire truck full of soldiers, and the volunteer:) getting his head lopped off, were still pretty graphic for a PG film. Yeah they were nothing compard to ToD, the first ever PG-13 rated film and the reason the rating was started in the first place, but still they pushed the envelope of PG.

Will Spielberg tone it down now? I really hope not! I don't want another Live Free or Die Hard!

effin

people get so fired up about these things. no one knows the context or even if the aliens will be seen. speilberg is making the film for the indy fans, so let's wait and see how this pans out.

DaveTheHutt

My initial feelings toward this rumour are ones of revulsion, but as others have said it's all about how it's handled.

I could just about see it working if the aliens are found as mummified corpses - Indy could just show bafflement at these strange 'creatures' and leave it to us, the audience, to make any alien connotations.

So long as they aren't skipping around and anally-probing everyone, I could just about live with something like that.

11thIndian

deckard24 said:
Will Spielberg tone it down now? I really hope not! I don't want another Live Free or Die Hard!

I think the Spielberg of today can deliver a better Indiana Jones movie than the Spielberg of 1989. The late 80's and early 90's are what I consider to be the man's creative low point. ALWAYS, CRUSADE, HOOK, JURASSIC PARK- they all seem to me to be from a guy who was either ready to change gears, or happy to become a watered down version of his former self. Though I think the film has it's problems, SCHINDLER'S LIST marked a turning point for Spielberg, and though not all of his films since then have been completely successful, I think they're more interesting films than the ones immediately preceding it. So I think, or at least I hope, we are going to see a slightly rougher and nastier film than CRUSADE, more in tone with the original RAIDERS than anything else.

As for the alien thing, I can see it being handled well or going right off the rails. But in a series that includes the supernatural, and inspired by Republic serials, anyone who thinks that allusions to aliens in Indiana's world is out of place, are lacking in some imagination.

Sankara

@effin
I hope he is making it for "true" fans not only fans. True fans can't accept Aliens in an Indiana Jones-Movie.

Kingsley

Sankara said:
@effin
I hope he is making it for "true" fans not only fans. True fans can't accept Aliens in an Indiana Jones-Movie.
I think at this point you are the only TRUE FAN in the entire world.

DarthLowBudget

Unfortunately it seems that even Indiana Jones, like anything with fans, has it's own subset of fans who claim to be the sole true fans. Not only is this suggestion preposterous but it is also insulting to those who consider themselves fans, but do not share the exact same views as the person who claims to hold the map to "true fanhood". And that is really, really, sad.

Finn

Staff member
Sankara said:
I swear... I hear words "true" and "fan" in conjuction from you once more, I'm going to get medieval on you.

I recommend taking this warning VERY seriously.

metalinvader

Sankara said:
@effin

*Sigh*

How dare someone have a different opinion...

Oh wait..Only 'true' fans think the same,Robotic opinion...

More lame brain bs from Sankara

True fans here, true fans there... true fans... so ask yourselves: who is a real "true fan"? What does the word "true" imply? ...

Not to criticize anyone, but I think many of you are now missing the point.
I BET ALL OF US ARE "TRUE FANS", or we simply wouldn't be here. In any case, any of us does have his own personal tastes and his own personal preferences. This obviously means that any of us has different ideas too.

Some of you were accusing Sankara, but I think that's not exactly the right thing to do now. It is not correct, because he has only expressed his point of view.

I don't like the idea of aliens as much as he do. But that's NOT because I am a "true fan". That's NOT because I have a "robotic" opinion, and NOT because I usually speak "lame brain b.s." as someone had previousely written. It's only because I do have a certain perception of the franchise, a certain perception of the character and, most of all, a certain perception of the adventures he should be involved in.

It's not the concept of aliens itself to be wrong to me. It's the concept of aliens in the specific context it seems to be inserted in. The context I'm talking about is more or less something like this:

- the year is '57, almost the sixties, the beginning of the space exploration era and also the age of the "science fiction genre" boom.
- we've heard about one scene involving the legendary Area 51... with probably the American government special forces trying to prevent Indy from doing/stealing something.
- we've heard about a scene possibly showing a nuclear explosion.
- now we hear about aliens used in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", which are meant to appear in this movie.
- I've also read somewhere that the aztec pyramid we've seen in some pictures time ago is actually meant to be sort of an alien spaceship.

Well, now, there's only one obvious thing that comes to my mind: this whole analysis makes me guess the new Indy film will be more of a "scy-fi / fantapolitic drama / conspiracy-spy story movie" than an actual "adventure movie". AND THAT IS A THING I ABSOLUTELY DON'T WANT FOR IT. I want to see a movie centered around archeology, mysterious places an' ancient religions. Not a movie focused on American/Russian army trying to get contact with green skinned little men, while Indy tries to stop them.

11thIndian said:
But in a series that includes the supernatural, and inspired by Republic serials, anyone who thinks that allusions to aliens in Indiana's world is out of place, are lacking in some imagination.

I personally disagree. I don't think it's the same thing for me. At least, I think it would depend on the context. But from the few things we believe to know, I can quite surely assume that the context on which this movie will be based IS UNFORTUNATELY THE WRONG ONE.
For example, I loved "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine". That videogame was awesome, even if its plot dealt with aliens massively. But that was good, because the alien beings in the story were always treated and seen as "gods". Not as creatures from the outer space, meant to be captured and analyzed in Area 51. Not as creatures meant to be hidden in secret labs, where the American/Russian military forces also experiments new mass destruction weapons. This whole idea makes me think of "Man In Black", not Indiana Jones.

If we want the plot to deal with aliens, so let 'em be mysterious, ancient and monstrous forms of life... let 'em be mythical gods rather than little human-like puppies trapped in the bunkers of Area 51.

P.S. - I hope the message is clear enough for all of you. Please, feel free to comment. These are only my ideas, after all...

EDIT: oh, damn, this post is sooooo long... sorry 'bout that. :(

Last edited:

metalinvader

It was nothing towards you or anyone else who doesn't like the idea of aliens.If you go back and read any other Sankara other post where is spouts his ''True fan'' crap you'd see why people get sick of his crap.

metalinvader said:
It was nothing towards you or anyone else who doesn't like the idea of aliens.If you go back and read any other Sankara other post where is spouts his ''True fan'' crap you'd see why people get sick of his crap.

I know, I know. Don't worry. (y)
But there were a few things I needed to write. I know I mentioned one of your posts, metalinvader, but there was no aggressiveness in my intention.

metalinvader

The Stranger said:
I know, I know. Don't worry. (y)
But there were a few things I needed to write. I know I mentioned one of your posts, metalinvader, but there was no aggressiveness in my intention.

No problems what so ever.:) One thing I hope we can all agree on is it's going to be fantastic to see Indy back!