• Bach

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Mozart

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Tchaikovsky

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Mozart

I'm a big on Classical music, and I thought I'd create this thread to share news, opinions, and history of classical music.

For starters, lets all name our favorite composers :), John Williams included!

Mozart

Well, because he isnt usually counted among the famed four:p. Sorry! but you dont have to use to the poll to tell who is your fav, just post! So, is John Williams your favorite?;) he's still my favorite film composer, but not my favorite composer of all. But he is what started me out on the road to classical craze;).

Mozart

I love Sibelius! I have his second symphony (along with "Finlandia" of course), conducted by Yoel Levi. One of the best recordings out there of that work.
I just bought another work by another Scandinavian composer, Carl Nielsen, who is Danish. The opera's name is "Saul & David", its not excellant, but its good...
Geez, here I am rambling to you guys like I expect you to know all about scandinavian composers already...

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Mozart said:
Well, because he isnt usually counted among the famed four:p .

Now you mention it; my remark was kind of stupid. Sorry...

This isn't really my territory... classical music?

But Williams is good :)

.... for a 'film composer'. ;)

Finn

Staff member
Mozart said:
Geez, here I am rambling to you guys like I expect you to know all about scandinavian composers already...
It's okay. Someone not from Scandinavia mite be interested as well. ;)

Finlandia... that piece was close to be the National Anthem of Finland. The bigwigs of that time, however, picked German composer Fredrick Pacius' (who was a great Finn-lover) anthem dedicated to Finns known as "Our Land". (The rumors go that this guy based this piece of works on some German beer drinking song. Tell me if you can confirm this.)

Mozart

I'm afraid not, about the drinking song...But I do remember reading about 'Finlandia' coming close to the National Anthem. It would have been the perfect one! it has all the patriotic and heroic colors of an anthem...maybe a bit long, but they'd probably cut it a bit...eek! thats a terrible thought.

Mozart

Renderking Fisk said:
I think I have most of Sibelius' work. So I guess I'll vote for him, too.
Wonderful!

To tell you the truth, my favorite composer is NOT Mozart (he's second), its Hector Berlioz. But I already used Berlioz as my name for another message board, so I thought I'd go down the list...

A Berlioz site of my own is in the works.
www.hectorberlioz.org

and I'm sure if you searched him on google, there would not be a shortage of links;)...he's quite a popular composers now, though after his death in 1869, he died down in the repoirtoire. But in the 1960's, he made a big comeback with the help conductors like of Sir Colin Davis, Charles Munch and Pierre Boulez. The Audience of Berlioz increases yearly...I myself am responsible for part of this. I've been working my butt off writing articles about him, telling people about him in conversations...etc.
If you're interested in finding some of his music, I suggest you start with "Symphonie Fantastique".
Vive Berlioz!

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I like J.S Bach a lot. I also like H.Berlioz but that's because he comes from the region of France I lived in during ten years, I don't really know much about him and his music though (It's a shame, I know).

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Beethovan was deaf. That makes him pretty special, to me.
Not the whole time on his composing career.

Ren... if anything, I like your taste of music.

Luckylighter

Wow, interesting thread. I've always liked Wagner, especially the overture from "The Flying Dutchmen."

But, I also enjoy Hector Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique."

Katarn07

Williams is my favorite composer just because most of the movies I love he does the score and it is usually stunningly beautiful. Even the films I don't like (Harry Potter) has an awesome soundtrack.

Out of the ones you listed, I chose Bach just for Fugue in D. Awesome music :D I like all the options save for the last one. I don't know much of his work. Is he considered classical? I thought he fell into the romantic period....

Oh! Who wrote the 'Planets' music? I love those peices. They're awesome.

Those were by Gustav Holst. I haven't heard the complete compositions, but I have heard the "Bringer of Jollitity" I think it's called. What is it. I heard it on the classic radio station here, and I liked it.

Another composer that I like (although he may be considered more "orchestral" than "classical") is Leroy Anderson. He made some great music from (I believe) the 30's to the 60's. He did light pieces, and composed "Sleigh Ride", and other perhaps less popular pieces such as "The Typewriter", "Belle of the Ball", and "Fiddle Faddle." I really enjoy his music. He's one of my favorites.

And now a question: Why do classical buffs look down their noses at film score? Is it like indie and underground rockers frowning on even good rock that happens to be mainstream? If so, could you elaborate? I just don't understand how such good music could be looked on with such disdain.

monkey

I'm sorry to see my favorite, Tchaikovsky, in last place (why do I seem to always support the underdog?).

"Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies". I love that piece. I wrote a solo guitar arrangement for that back in the 70's. I was going to send it to my favorite guitar player, Ritchie Blackmore, but never got around to it. I stumbled across it the other day when I was cleaning out my closet.

I also love "In the Hall of the Mountain King".

And Finn, as far as Scandinavians go....well, my favorite Scandinavian of all time, and one of my top guitar heroes, is that incomparable genius himself........Yngvie Malmsteen.

Not all of the brilliant composers are dead guys.

Finn

Staff member
<small>A Swede... *shivers*</small>

Heh heh, just kidding. Malmsteen is quite good, I like him too... there's not much guys with a really big-star look here in up north.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I'm also a big fan of Paganini. What he did is incredible (specially the capriccis) I wonder if there's anything harder to play then the music he wrote (maybe "The devil's trill" from Tartini).