Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Mozart

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Tchaikovsky

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Mozart

Luckylighter said:
Wow, interesting thread. I've always liked Wagner, especially the overture from "The Flying Dutchmen."

But, I also enjoy Hector Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique."
Wonderful!!!! I love the fantastique...but in many ways, 'Harold in Italy' (his second symphony) is closer to me...
What recording of the Fantastique do you have?

And now a question: Why do classical buffs look down their noses at film score? Is it like indie and underground rockers frowning on even good rock that happens to be mainstream? If so, could you elaborate? I just don't understand how such good music could be looked on with such disdain.

Yes its sad that most classical buffs do look down their noses towards film scores...but I feel there is a good reason, however priggish...film scores these days (BACK THEN they werent looked down upon...Shostakovich and Prokofiev wrote music for films, and another of my favorite composers Wolfgang Korngold was a film composer-he wrote the score for Robin Hood with Flynn!)..anyways, film scores these days tend to be sappy, repetitious, and in general, Stupid and Boring. I hate to say it, but the last few scores of John Williams (after Saving Private Ryan) were rather mediocre...he just doesnt have the fire and brimestone that he use to...
So, I look down upon most film scores these days (LotR scores always excepted.)

Mozart

vaxer said:
I'm also a big fan of Paganini. What he did is incredible (specially the capriccis) I wonder if there's anything harder to play then the music he wrote (maybe "The devil's trill" from Tartini).
Paganin commisioned 'Harold in Italy' from Berlioz, with a large virtuoso viola role...but it wasnt challenging enough for him. But he did love it, and gave Berlioz a large sum of money for it. He also gave Berlioz his guitar...

Mozart

monkey said:
I'm sorry to see my favorite, Tchaikovsky, in last place (why do I seem to always support the underdog?).

"Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies". I love that piece. I wrote a solo guitar arrangement for that back in the 70's. I was going to send it to my favorite guitar player, Ritchie Blackmore, but never got around to it. I stumbled across it the other day when I was cleaning out my closet.

I also love "In the Hall of the Mountain King".

And Finn, as far as Scandinavians go....well, my favorite Scandinavian of all time, and one of my top guitar heroes, is that incomparable genius himself........Yngvie Malmsteen.

Not all of the brilliant composers are dead guys.
Tchaikovsky was my first Favorite. I am guilty of hating him further on in my musical journey...but recently I re-listened to the 1812 overture, and found it had not lost its magnificence. So, these days, I am re-discovering Tchaikovsky:)

Ludwig van

Beethoven is the greatest composer and man who has ever lived. He wrote his greatest music when he was completely deaf. Richard Strauss is my second favourite composer...

Last edited: