Carreer moves OR as the world turns

I am a simple hat maker.

What do you do?

Do tell about your life and school and work and such.

I am an old world type craftsman in a modern era. I am the head of the works at Gladhatter hat company. While lot of my duties are purely administrative, I also engage hands on in the primary and first stage finishing processes of the high end and ultra high end gentlemans fedoras and other fur felt hats. I also train others to duplicate what I do and while we are a small family owned and operated business, I also collerborate with some of the worlds largest hat concerns in various ways. I always believed that regardless of size or name or any other fame, any company is just a grouping of regular people. I always approach people on a level I choose to be treated on as a plain spoken and simple person. It serves us well. I can say I am mostly satisfied but often times I find my self in tears or with near an ulcer for taking my customer concerns so seriously and I really do some times just simply give too much.

I make many friends in the hat world that start as customer and gravitate to a friend. I hold an unusual position of making ultra custom bespoke hats and never meeting any of our customers.

Do tell us what you do and if you like it or not and any thing else you would like to share.

LASTCRUSADER

Well I'm a Sales person. I love my job. I sell corporate software to large companies. I have been in sales in one form or another since I was 16. While I'm happy with my job right now, I eventually like to go into real estate. I have plenty of time for that though.

Element

Hi gladhatter, I just joined The Raven so you probably have not heard of me.

I am still a junior in high school. After high school I want to go to college and study mathematics, and science courses such as physics and biology. I am also interested in archaeology and law inforcement.

Right now I work at a grocery store near my house. It's hard to fit in time to work with sports and school, but it's enough to pay for gas and insurance.

After college I plan to go into the Air Force and serve some time. I wanted to be a pilot for a while but now im moving towards security forces of some sort. An OSI officer would be interesting and so would a pathfinder, or a pararescueman. After the Air force... I'm not sure what I will do. Maybe something to do with law inforcement.

Element, It sure seems you have a huge work load for the time being. It is admirable that you can carry such a schedule and pay for your gas and insurance. Nice to know we have some young folks that are living a responsible life.

I have ambivalent feelings about law enforcement as I know it to be a crucial and necessary thng yet I have rarely met a cop I could like.

Thanks for sharing and please do join the chats.

Pale Horse

Staff member
gardener/landscaper
disneyland busboy
streets and gutter pavement crew laborer
restaurant host/server
bowling alley pinsetter
maintenance supervisor
pyrotechnician
bartender (to the stars, even)
underwriter
insurance salesman
college administrator

(I have assisted in delivering a baby into the world, and conversely helped send one tragically on to the next, and saved the life of a complete stranger twice.)

Very interesting Palehorse. I recall when the curb and gutter machine was first introduced out in CA and it paid top dollar for an operator then. I have often mused at you being a bartender with your seemingly strict conservative religious views.

I too have delivered a baby two in fact and it was quite a joyous thing to do . Well the joy of birthing anyway not the mean creature the mother giving birth became during the extreme pain of natural child birth. A failry attractive gal became almost tv monster looking during this excrutiating process. It was in deed an experience.

Mr. Fulghum and I share many common thoughts including natural landscaping or more commonly known as letting the weeds take over. I pour concrete as far out as I plan to use property and then let nature tend beyond that . Never could understand mowing grass.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Given my fathers profession, it probably wouldn't surprise you. Prodigal would be a good word, especially through college. But somehow the apple always comes back to bite you in the end. Those were experiences long ago, and now I am a much wiser man for it.

Well I have tried to study your post ect. and pin you down but so far best I can come up with is you are not Church of Christ or Christian Church and probably are Calvary (baptist) or one of the off shoot churches of a similar nature..

Pale Horse

Staff member
I was raised by a conservative baptist father, and am now regularly attending a southern baptist church. But for a time, I was quite the rebellious Pastors Kid, with all the stereotypical traits associated with that. My father is a good and righteous man, and his lessons are deep in me, but as any child knows, sometimes the best lessons are the ones hardest learned. I am fortunate that I didn't have more severe consequences to my life from some of the reckless choices I made. Frankly, I still have to face the day to day truth and realities of what I irresponsibly chose some 5 and 10 years ago.

But we are getting awfully personal now aren't we...

Moving right along...

Indyologist

Pale Horse said:
I was raised by a conservative baptist father, and am now regularly attending a southern baptist church. But for a time, I was quite the rebellious Pastors Kid, with all the stereotypical traits associated with that. My father is a good and righteous man, and his lessons are deep in me, but as any child knows, sometimes the best lessons are the ones hardest learned. I am fortunate that I didn't have more severe consequences to my life from some of the reckless choices I made. Frankly, I still have to face the day to day truth and realities of what I irresponsibly chose some 5 and 10 years ago.

Horsey (hope you don't my calling you that), you were a PK (Pastor's Kid)? How interesting. I wonder what it would be like to grow up that way. Did you find that you were unfairly held under a microscope with people watching everything you did? If so, that must have been tough.

I've done things too that could have gotten me in a LOT of trouble in my life, but God's grace prevailed. I shutter to think of the situations I could have been in if the LORD hadn't lovingly intervened. Funny how often the LORD has to save us "from ourselves," and then He tells us he loves us anyway. Sigh. What a wonderful God...

And Horsey, not only does God forgive us-- He wants us to forgive OURSELVES, too. So no matter what it was that you did 5-10 years ago, forgive yourself. I'm sure you'll always have some remorse, particularly if it was something tragic, but don't beat yourself over it. Consider it a lesson to be learned and move on. As you said yourself, you're a wiser man for it. Should you want to talk more, feel free to e-mail me-- if not, that's okay. Don't PM me because you can only use so many words. Whatever it was you did, leave it on the Cross where it belongs, brother.

Okay-- back to career talk...sorry. My "Deanna Troi" empathic powers were kicking in. http://www.startreklibrary.com/TNG/crew/troi.htm

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indyologist said:
Horsey (hope you don't my calling you that), you were a PK (Pastor's Kid)? How interesting. I wonder what it would be like to grow up that way. Did you find that you were unfairly held under a microscope with people watching everything you did? If so, that must have been tough.

I was, and now I am in a position where I get to monitor everyone else, and scrutinize their every word, enacting judgement and terror at will!
grindteeth.gif
I am a Raven Moderator! j/k ;)

I really can't go into it here, I hope you and the others will understand.

Indyologist said:
And Horsey, not only does God forgive us-- He wants us to forgive OURSELVES, too. So no matter what it was that you did 5-10 years ago, forgive yourself. I'm sure you'll always have some remorse, particularly if it was something tragic, but don't beat yourself over it. Consider it a lesson to be learned and move on. As you said yourself, you're a wiser man for it....Whatever it was you did, leave it on the Cross where it belongs, brother.

Because of my position in life, I realize this tenant of my faith, and while it is important, it simply is only the first step. There are longlasting ramifications for every persons actions. Both Good and Bad. In this thread, Joe Brody talks about a book he read, South that somehow discusses responsibility. I can't wait to read it.

One thing I have learned in my studies is that my actions, while now forgiven, still carry consequences, and to some extent, they will be carried into my children's children. You think it is a coincidence that alcoholic parents have alcoholic children? Why, with all of our understanding about health and fitness can we not stop the patterns of illness that run through family lines? THere are other non-genetic (which to me is simply a result of microevolutianry changes reflecting the consequences of irresponsible actions) examples I could show you, demonstrating what I have found to be true.

It is an oft overlooked principle, that many Westerners (who use a logic based rational system) miss. If you break a covenant, oath or promise, the long term ramifications may surface years down the road. The Eastern cultures understand this to a greater extent than us; after all "Confuscious say: 'Those who cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they themselves must pass.' ? But when you start adding up everything, you realize how intricately everything is intertwined.

But again, I think this is off gladhatters intent.

Not off att all Pale horse, as stated in the beginning of the thread, it is to have lead way to vere off and please continiue.

IndyMcFly

Right now I'm a sophomore in high school, but I'm studying theater, and in college, plan to study film.

I would like a high school job or college job at Disneyland, driving the boats on the Jungle Cruise, and cracking jokes all day long, or working at the Indy ride. My main goal is to become an actor, but do film, not stage. I am a part of a comedy club at my school, and we do things for our school on stage at least once a month. If my acting career doesn't work out, I'd look to a seminary and try my hand at priesthood - another thing that brings me joy. If that is not my calling, I'm not sure what I would do.

In Christ,
Shane

Onya

Theatre, huh?

I took a drama class once last year... Those kids can get pretty wild... ;) Took a couple of turns for the extreme, but ultimately... you meet the best kind of people.

And the seminary... Well, strange enough, I have a couple of friends that are looking into that.

Personally, I'd go for Disneyland. :D

kellpatton said:
hey gladdhatter
what kind of hats do you make and what country do you live in?

First off Shane you sure seem to have some good goals inlife and admirable ones. humor is a good thing.

KellPatton, I make custom handmade high end Furfelt Gentlemans fedoras or any furfelt hat. Some wool felt hats. We also do volume prvate labeling hats for about any one or any kind . These are production hats of 1000 or more of each usually. They are not hand made. We do not sell hats on forums I am just answering your Q. If you need hat help just give me a pm or email.

I am in USA in Virginia but we ship hats the world over and never meet our customers. We are strickly internet based.