Nuked Fridges

James

seasider said:
It was important to establish that new world that Indy now lives in. Those movies say a lot about the 30's and the social and political climate of that time just as Crystal Skull does about its time period.

This is one reason I like the mushroom cloud so much. Even though Lucas and Spielberg obviously got carried away with playing in the 50s, Indy himself never seems that phased by it. He's as oblivious to the culture of Arnie's diner as he was to the culture that surrounded him in the previous films.

And why shouldn't he be? We may notice how drastic the changes are, but for Indy, they've slowly crept up on him. The exception is the mushroom cloud, which provides a stark reminder that he's quickly being forced into a completely new age.

I'm not convinced that the series needs to leap into the 60s, though. They've already established a new time period for the character and can easily have a few more adventures within that world.

indyswk

If he's wedged so tight into the fridge, then the landing would have the same effect as dropping him in a fridge from several floors up. Such a landing would've been fatal (he would be unable to position himself or brace for the fall, or anything else as he is just a passenger dropping to the ground).

A more realistic way to illustrate this is if the fridge jumped a few feet at the initial blast and then slid along the ground at high speed crash through everything and past the bad guys' car alongside. That way, he'd survive, but this immediately would make it too similar to Last Crusade's plane/car-tunnel sequence. Though come to think of it, Indy and the bad guys swapping roles from the last movie - would'nt be too bad.

I don't have too much problem with the fridge but it does seem a bit far fetched, about slightly more than the mine cart jump.

Montana Smith

Insomniac said:
NO HF INDY PAST JFK's DEATH, IT CAN'T BE DONE.
Think about it

The worrying thing is, considering Uncle George's recent state of mind, is that it could be done.

He might end up having to escape from a napalmed jungled in Vietnam.

Or even find himself on the run from Agents Pink, Green, Purple, Blue, White and Orange (The 'Rainbow Herbicides', not characters from Reservoir Dogs).

It could make his fridge experience seem like a walk in the park.

Just don't make me defend the fridge again. That was one tough defence!

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
The worrying thing is, considering Uncle George's recent state of mind, is that it could be done.

He might end up having to escape from a napalmed jungled in Vietnam.

Or even find himself on the run from Agents Pink, Green, Purple, Blue, White and Orange (The 'Rainbow Herbicides', not characters from Reservoir Dogs).

It could make his fridge experience seem like a walk in the park.

Just don't make me defend the fridge again. That was one tough defence!

Now THERE'S an awesome idea! Indiana Jones and the Reservoir Dogs! Instant badassery.

And, for the record, I still defend the fridge scene as being plausible within the Indy universe.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Now THERE'S an awesome idea! Indiana Jones and the Reservoir Dogs! Instant badassery.

I once proposed the idea that Tarantino should direct Indy V...

kongisking said:
And, for the record, I still defend the fridge scene as being plausible within the Indy universe.

Then we will stand back to back, my friend, and fight off the ravenous hordes of naysayers! :gun:

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
I once proposed the idea that Tarantino should direct Indy V...

Then we will stand back to back, my friend, and fight off the ravenous hordes of naysayers! :gun:

I got my whip ready for any foolish enough to dare attack us! And a Tarantino-directed Indy flick would be NUTS.

Mickiana

What country currently conducts nuclear tests? Maybe Mythbusters could get permission to get their hands on an old similar fridge, stick a crash test dummy in it and imitate this most contentious of scenes? And I want geiger counters used as well! Is there a website listing the next nuclear detonation session and do they take bookings?

Mickiana said:
What country currently conducts nuclear tests? Maybe Mythbusters could get permission to get their hands on an old similar fridge, stick a crash test dummy in it and imitate this most contentious of scenes? And I want geiger counters used as well! Is there a website listing the next nuclear detonation session and do they take bookings?
Let me know what you find out! We could all meet up and watch...

Indy Cast contributor Kyle Boyat sent audio in a few shows back from a program similar to mythbusters that aproximated some tests. Haven't had time to even skim the contents but this might be interesting reading for some:

The Effects of Nuclear Weapons
Editor: SAMUEL GLASSTONE

Prepared by the UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
Published by the UNITED STATES ATOMIC ENERGY COMMISSION
June 1957​

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:

North Korea. Pakistan...

Probably have more luck with Pakistan, though!

They'd have to fill the dummy with animal organs and see if they turn to mush on impact. It's the impact that's the most contentious scene to my mind. I can accept the fridge surviving and being blown clear, as there are precedents for the survival of objects. Just not for that kind of trauma inflicted on the human body. Just have to believe he was packed tightly and the fridge cushioned the impact...

Rocket Surgeon said:
Let me know what you find out! We could all meet up and watch...

Cos it's okay if you look away at the last moment. Gov'ment said so!

A 1957 edition, too. I've read more recent reports, but the 1950s attitudes should make this a more in-keeping with KOTCS.

Mickiana

I looked really closely and saw somewhere, I am sure, a label on the Ark claiming that the Ark was not a vessel containing the God's power, but was godly nonetheless. Could have been a minion's usurping a bit of power, I'd bet St Michael, as he was a bit of a vengeful soul, sword-wielding and so on. Indy was spared at the Ark opening because of St Mick's approval of Indy's sword wielding in ToD, not because of any moral righteousness.

Indy's survival of Doomtown was due to movie magic, which is different from the magic of an evangelical mass.

DeepSixFix

Mickiana said:
Indy was spared at the Ark opening because of St Mick's approval of Indy's sword wielding in ToD, not because of any moral righteousness.
OK, :sleep:
Mickiana said:
Indy's survival of Doomtown was due to movie magic, which is different from the magic of an evangelical mass.
It's ALL ultimately due to movie magic my friend. They ARE movies. Jones also survives the crashing plane in TOD due to the intervention of the gods.

DeepSixFix said:
In ROTLA it's demonstrated that God exists, and spared Indiana Jones. So why is there any skepticism about a nuked fridge? :confused:
What skepticism? Does anyone disagree there was a nuked fridge?:rolleyes:
Mickiana said:
I looked really closely and saw somewhere, I am sure, a label on the Ark...
Was that the one that said: "This tag may not be removed under penalty of the wrath of God, except by the prophet..."?
DeepSixFix said:
OK, :sleep:
It's ALL ultimately due to movie magic my friend.
NO! Raiders demonstrates that God exists! That is unless they mention disclaimers, like:"the power of God or someting," ect.
DeepSixFix said:
They ARE movies. Jones also survives the crashing plane in TOD due to the intervention of the gods.
Here is where we all stumble over how Crystal Skull fits in with the rest. The intervention of the gods is proffered opinion and the movie leaves it at that, like Raiders. Skull on the other hand spoonfeeds the answers and leaves NO room for interpretation or opinion.

Your eqivocating aside, the problem I think people have is that instead of honoring Raiders by making a tradition of it's formula for success:building up to a spectacular finale, they instead employed these OUTRAGEOUS plot devices that begged us to suspend an inordinate amount of belief right from the get-go.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Here is where we all stumble over how Crystal Skull fits in with the rest. The intervention of the gods is proffered opinion and the movie leaves it at that, like Raiders. Skull on the other hand spoonfeeds the answers and leaves NO room for interpretation or opinion.

KOTCS stumbles, that's without question. It stumbles in many regards, when compared to ROTLA. The first steps away from ROTLA were taken by TOD, and continued by TLC. You could call them faltering steps, or merely inevitable ones. You either leave Indy with ROTLA, or you make the best of it and see the others in that inevitable light. They aren't Raiders. Nothing could be Raiders again. You can't repeat the magic.

So, the steps become far more ragged in KOTCS. The constant need to present spectacle, believing this is what the average Indy fan expects.

I'm forced to rationalize each new spectacle, or ditch the movie in it's entirety. Okay, so there's things in KOTCS I downright dislike. There are also things that evoke that original spark of magic.

The fridge was maybe a spectacle too far, yet inevitable. We know where it came from (The Atomic Kid and the unfilmed BTTF script). It was a statement, a homage, even '50s kitsch. Indy is not a real man, but a concept. The concept moved into the '50s, and George just couldn't help himself.

The answer: it was an absurd joke.

Now, to rationalize an absurd joke: see the events occurring in a place that is not quite real. Not quite as we expect our world to operate. Add Indy's luck into the mix, and all the other paramaters that are necessary to make sure the fridge blasts clear, and it lands in such a way to protect it's passenger.

Impossible?

Probably.

Yet, there's just that absurd chance that it could work. Maybe not in our world, but in a world that has giant rolling boulders, automatically resetting light traps, Germans digging up half of Egypt, foreign bars in Nepal, and a golden box with a selectively murderous intent.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Your eqivocating aside, the problem I think people have is that instead of honoring Raiders by making a tradition of it's formula for success:building up to a spectacular finale, they instead employed these OUTRAGEOUS plot devices that begged us to suspend an inordinate amount of belief right from the get-go.

The quantity of outrageous plot devices is where my disappointment lies. The unfunny snake/sandpit scene; the waterfalls; swinging with the monkeys; the unbelievable Mac; the under-used Irina; and the very character of Mutt himself.

I'm happy that the movies continue to break the original formula, but not happy that they took so much effort to outdo themselves. It just makes more work when it comes to suspending disbelief.

Man of faith? Hogwash!