What is your favorite aspect/part/anything of KOTCS?

Raiders90

What is your favorite scene? Or your favorite element or thematic aspect of the film? Or just plain anything?

I love the fact that we get to see an older Indy, actually. I also really, really love the late '50s setting; I don't get why people are against seeing Indy past the 1940s to be quite honest. I think the idea of aliens is cool. I think Mutt - as a concept - was great, but Shia shouldn't have played him.

As I'm getting older, I'm coming to really love the film a lot and I view it as a great epilogue to the original movies.

The instant return of screen magic when marion and indy reunite. and when he tells her "they werent you honey". That and seeing the ark in the broken box.

Dana Scully

Raiders112390 said:
I love the fact that we get to see an older Indy, actually. I also really, really love the late '50s setting; I don't get why people are against seeing Indy past the 1940s to be quite honest. I think the idea of aliens is cool. I think Mutt - as a concept - was great, but Shia shouldn't have played him.

I agree to all of this. The 1950s is a time period I'm fascinated with and I think it was portrayed very well in the movie. Harrison was fantastic as older Indy. The whole opening sequence from the Russians shooting their way into Area 51 to Indy and Dovchenko being fired off in the rocket sled is brilliant. Hell I even love the Doomtown sequence, fridge and all! I also love anything to do with Irina Spalko, the score, and the scene where Dovchenko tells Indy and Marion to 'shut the hell up' always makes me laugh. :D

Glenville86

I think it is cool in the way older fans can still identify with the main character. Ford is older than me but at 53 years old, I can wear my jackets and fedora and not feel strange about it. :)

The only 2-movies from the series I really liked was Raiders and Last Crusade. ToD and CS were alright but not nearly as well made as my favorites. Of course everyone will have their favorites.

alotofmaryskid

Dana Scully said:
I agree to all of this. The 1950s is a time period I'm fascinated with and I think it was portrayed very well in the movie. Harrison was fantastic as older Indy. The whole opening sequence from the Russians shooting their way into Area 51 to Indy and Dovchenko being fired off in the rocket sled is brilliant. Hell I even love the Doomtown sequence, fridge and all! I also love anything to do with Irina Spalko, the score, and the scene where Dovchenko tells Indy and Marion to 'shut the hell up' always makes me laugh. :D

Basically, yes to all the above. I teach history, and we watched the first part of the movie as an introduction to the Cold War and the Space Race. I'll turn 50 in March, so I'm to the point that I don't care what people think when I put on my CS Train hat and a sport coat. I loved everything about the first part of CS through the cemetery scene. I'm getting nostalgic.

TheFedora

The grave portion when Indy takes Mutt with him to try to recover the skull from the Conquistadors body. I thought the moment where Indy appears right after killing the native assassin and stands there with the lightening behind him was great. Especially seeing Mutt's face like "who are you, old man?":whip:

This line always cracks me up:

"Ox, listen to me, pal. Your name is Harold Oxley. You were born in Leeds, England. You and I went to school together at the University of Chicago. And you were never this interesting."

Drones33

Never too old...

Glenville86 said:
I think it is cool in the way older fans can still identify with the main character. Ford is older than me but at 53 years old, I can wear my jackets and fedora and not feel strange about it. :)

The only 2-movies from the series I really liked was Raiders and Last Crusade. ToD and CS were alright but not nearly as well made as my favorites. Of course everyone will have their favorites.

Agreed. At 48 ( I like to think I'm in my 'Last Crusade' period!) I wear my hat, jacket and carry my bag without the slightest self-consciousness. Indeed, in work today I saw a gent of about 70, with a very distinctly Raiders bashed fedora, jacket and bag. He was also using a walking stick. But he looked great.

I don't think Fords age in CS was ever an issue for me. In fact the fight with the big Russian near the end (ants! I HATE ants! ) is one of my favourites.
I love..."You broke my nose!"
" Told ya."
I resent the jokes in it at Indy's expense; the snake in the quicksand...

Favourite line though, is either
"They weren't you Honey." Sums up their relationship beautifully,
or " You don't have to get sore all the time to prove how tough you are..."
Whilst it's my least favourite Indy film, there are still some great things in it, and it's always worth a watch.

Randy_Flagg

I guess my favorite aspect of the film is the overall concept, even though I don't think it was executed as well as it should have been.

I'm in the minority here, but I thought aliens was an interesting premise, and by tying them to the crystal skulls and Nazca lines and El Dorado (yeah, I know the the movie called it Akator.. but, whatever...), it grounded the idea in the sort of fantastical archaeological roots that typically work well for an Indiana Jones film. It's just a shame it was all handled so flippantly. We barely even see the Nazca lines, and they just kind of race through Akator/El Dorado without ever giving the audience a chance to appreciate it. Even with the skull itself, it felt as if the writers couldn't quite make up their minds about its powers, how it was stolen, its back-story, etc, etc.

So, yeah, the premise certainly had potential, but it needed to be handled better.

Duaner

I actually really liked the entire opening sequence in Nevada (including the fridge). I thought the image of Indy standing in the desert viewing the bomb blast was an awesome image.

jeshopk

The plot, characters, music and directing are all tied for first place. I shouldn't be surprised nobody wants Mutt to return, but I am. I would love to see Key Quan reprise his role. Indy, Mutt and Shorty.

michael

Two moments really, really stand out for me.

The first being the Doom Town scene. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I truly had no idea how the hell Jones was going to get out of that situation. I love the Nuked fridge.

The second moment (and honestly one of, if not my favorite moment in all of the films) is Indy grabbing the hat from Mutt to end the film.

I'd argue that is the better way to send him out than the riding into the sunset.

NightWalker81

I love the movie. Sure it has his flaws, but I walked out of the cinema wishing I could make a movie like that by my own. Adventures, riddles, humor and mortal traps. It's great! :whip:

The part I love the most is the beginning. I think Spielberg and the crew were in full shape at the beginning of the movie. The pace, the cameras, the music and the action were top notch (in my opinion, of course). I feel the beginning has an energy that it's not present at the end of the movie (which is more conventional and less inspired). The "Area 51" section, even the nuclear bomb, are big moments in the saga for me.

I love the moment in which Indy begins to make a big mess in the Area 51 XD. It was great to see the old Indy again in action after many years, running over the crafts and using his whip in a funny moment. The start of the movie in my theater was impressive! I laughed, thrilled and clapped before this iconic hero.

I think Harrison is one of the best things of the movie, I love his performance in this film.

michael said:
Two moments really, really stand out for me.

The first being the Doom Town scene. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I truly had no idea how the hell Jones was going to get out of that situation. I love the Nuked fridge.

The second moment (and honestly one of, if not my favorite moment in all of the films) is Indy grabbing the hat from Mutt to end the film.

I'd argue that is the better way to send him out than the riding into the sunset.

I agree. These two moments are fantastic. Like you said, it seemed impossible for Indy to escape from that situation. The resolution is (in my opinion) brilliant and fun.

Willie Hott

There are actually a ton of scenes that I love..

I agree with the consensus about the beginning of the film. But specifically when Indy gets pulled out of the trunk, thrown to the ground, the Russian soldiers surround him, guns pointed... He gets up, dusts himself off, and you see his shadow on the US military jeep of him putting his fedora back on. Classic Spielberg. Classic Indiana Jones. Rivals any shot in any of the 3 previous films.

There were actually a lot of those moments in Crystal Skull that I view as classic.
- Indy standing and staring in awe at the nuclear blast after surving it.
- Using the gun powder and shot gun shells to find the box in Area 51.
- The balancing rock when Mutt tells him "Professor, this really is a dead end.. Look." and Indy of course proves him wrong, then turns back around, the rock tilts back towards Mutt and Indy says "Come on, genius."
- Still in Peru, when Indy shoots the blow dart back into the throat of the native.
- And another one of my all-time favorite scenes when Indy tells Mac "Eventually, they're gonna let me out of this chair, comrade, and when they do, I'm going to break your nose." - My favorite part about this scene is that you pretty much forget Indy said that.. Then he breaks his nose!

And of course the Doom town scene is excellent. The movie only starts going down hill when they get to the jungle, in my humble opinion. But people are generally way too harsh on Indy IV. There were a lot of great Indy moments!

Udvarnoky

I still think this movie has great concepts behind it. I mean, that's part of the tragedy of it.

The way Lucas endeavors to connect the purpose of the Nazca lines with the story of El Dorado, the myth of Akakor and Von Däniken pseudo-science is a pretty terrific basis for an Indiana Jones movie. But the story is so half-baked in every facet of its execution that it fails the potential of what was arguably the strongest foundation for one of these movies yet.