Anyone been on or thought of going on their own Indy adventure?

Stoo

Flasha_tasha said:
More cave links Pyrenees for any1 interested

Thanks again! :) Great info and nice websites. Yes, the famous Lascaux
caverns. I think it's good that a replica was built (hopefully done well)
but it's a shame the actual caves are so difficult to visit.

Hope you have luck on your hike. Wish I could be there!

Stoo

Heliograph said:
A couple decades back I was invited to participate in a diving expedition to find Atlantis off the island of Bimini.

The organizer was a snake oil salesman who wrote for the "In search of..." TV series.

We divers near mutinied for the lack of food (eight hours daily in the water burns beaucoup calories) and later we did some figuring and calculated the organizer had probably pocketed half his grant.

Wow! I remember that show well (hosted by Leonard Nimoy).
So, you were actually in one of the early expeditions investigating
the "Bimini Road"? That is just INCREDIBLE! Well done, my friend.
(Did you ever meet Jacques Cousteau, by any chance?)

TELL US MORE!
Shame about the organizer... :(

Heliograph

The Bimini Road

Stoo said:
Wow! I remember that show well (hosted by Leonard Nimoy).
So, you were actually in one of the early expeditions investigating
the "Bimini Road"? That is just INCREDIBLE! Well done, my friend.
(Did you ever meet Jacques Cousteau, by any chance?)

TELL US MORE!
Shame about the organizer... :(

No, I've never met Jacques though one of his sons is a friend of a friend of a friend. I do plan to see that Bill Murray flick however.

This all occurred about twenty five years ago. The Bimini Road was exactly where we searched. I did a good deal of diving back then and I was more active in the Explorers Club out of New York. I've met Clive Cussler, does that count?

I've swum and kayaked in Scottish lochs. Never seen Nessie though. And I've dove with the Haenyo (women of the sea) of Cheju Island in Korea.

These days I just race kayaks and have just joined an outrigger canoe club. (I'm slowing down.)

Indyfan28

I hiked 10 miles in one day, crossing 4 mountains in NH, but i doubt that counts. Plus I kayak and have gone through a cave.

indifan101

I'd give anything to be on a Indy advennture. Although I did explore some ancient Greek ruins in Athens when I visited my Aunt Polly. I wore my fedora and jacket too!:D Now that was an awsome trip!

Ouroboros

Actually, October '04, curing my college Freshman year homesickness with the Indiana Jones DVDs I thought to myself, "Gee, I wish I could go to exotic lands like Indiana Jones."

After a moment it struck me. I was a college student. I had no dependents. I was capable of getting a job. What was stopping me?

As a result this summer, I am going on my very own Jones-esque adventure to Cuzco, Peru and the ruins of Vilcapampa AKA Machu Picchu. And, amusingly enough, I owe my motivation to everyone's favorite Archaeologist.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Ouroboros said:
Actually, October '04, curing my college Freshman year homesickness with the Indiana Jones DVDs I thought to myself, "Gee, I wish I could go to exotic lands like Indiana Jones."

After a moment it struck me. I was a college student. I had no dependents. I was capable of getting a job. What was stopping me?

As a result this summer, I am going on my very own Jones-esque adventure to Cuzco, Peru and the ruins of Vilcapampa AKA Machu Picchu. And, amusingly enough, I owe my motivation to everyone's favorite Archaeologist.
Sweetness. Tell us all about it when you get back.

IndyBuff

I love adventure and traveling, so naturally I've always dreamed of going on Indy-esque adventures. If I had the time and money I'd definately do it.:whip:

qwerty

Do we love travels and advantures becouse we love Indy movies
or
do we love Indy movies becouse we love travels and advantures
?

phatr32

i dream about going on an adventure everyday!, but im unable to, thanks to work, and other things that tie me down.

Also, Perth isnt terribly exciting, we dont have much of a history, only 200+ years, and i dont have any interest in aboriginal history.

So the best i can do is read about discoveries in egypt (and other places) on the web, and watch my movies.

steve :(

phatr32

also, I hate you :(

steve :sick: greem with envy...........

Ouroboros said:

IndyBuff

qwerty said:
Do we love travels and advantures becouse we love Indy movies
or
do we love Indy movies becouse we love travels and advantures
?

For me, I think it's a little bit of both.:)

IrishLuck1980

I would love to be able to gain entrance into the Tomb of China's first Emperor, Qin Shi Huang D. The Tomb has never been opened. The Chinese government won't open it because they can't preserve it. But imagine it, the Tomb is the size of a football field, with a map of China with the lakes and rivers filled with liquid mercury. And the designers of the tomb were locked in, as were the Emperors favorite concubines... Now that has adventure written all over it.

phatr32

yes ive read about that and seen a documenty on it too.

that would be absolutly awesome!!

steve

IrishLuck1980 said:
I would love to be able to gain entrance into the Tomb of China's first Emperor, Qin Shi Huang D. The Tomb has never been opened. The Chinese government won't open it because they can't preserve it. But imagine it, the Tomb is the size of a football field, with a map of China with the lakes and rivers filled with liquid mercury. And the designers of the tomb were locked in, as were the Emperors favorite concubines... Now that has adventure written all over it.

IndyBuff

IrishLuck1980 said:

I've always dreamed of doing that too! After playing The Emperor's Tomb and watching a documentry on television about it I've been hooked. That would definately be a neat experience.:whip:

indyt

I have tried to live a life of adventure. I LOVE it. I have been skydiving, scuba diving, rock climbing, cliff jumping and canoeing in Canada as well as exploring indian drawings, cave climbing, bungee jumping, river rafting, kayaking, horseback riding in the mountains, etc. I think we should live our lives to the fullest and thats what I try to do. My greatest adventure will probably be my missions trip to Guyana this May. God has blessed me.

IndyBuff

indyt said:
I have tried to live a life of adventure. I LOVE it. I have been skydiving, scuba diving, rock climbing, cliff jumping and canoeing in Canada as well as exploring indian drawings, cave climbing, bungee jumping, river rafting, kayaking, horseback riding in the mountains, etc. I think we should live our lives to the fullest and thats what I try to do. My greatest adventure will probably be my missions trip to Guyana this May. God has blessed me.

You've certainly done quite a bit of adventuring, to say the least. I was supposed to go on a mission trip to Mexico years ago but it got cancelled.:(

monkey

During my time in the US Navy I actually had quite a few adventures. To be honest some of them are best not published here on the Raven.........but there were a few that might qualify as "Indy-like".

One in particular that comes to mind is the time I and a few shipmates got pretty much lost in the "Souk"...(marketplace) of Muscat, Oman. This was a fascinting maze of alleyways and passages, some covered over....creating a tunnel effect. These passages were full of characters that looked like they stepped right out an Indiana Jones movie. Seriously, guys with curved scimitar knives in curved scabbards; turbans on their heads.....women in full face veils. Merchants hawking their wares.......gold, jewels, herbs, and ??? ....OK, and a few selling cell phones.........but .........well, it was still pretty adventurous, and we were lost, for a little while anyway.

We probably walked past a few Al Quaida, but this was pre 911.