TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Fanwork and Activities
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
Indy Vance's Indiana Jones Fonts

Man, haven't been here in ages - silly of me. At any rate, I've been getting my fonts together and reorganized, so I felt I should at least throw in some updates with new links and all over here.


Adventure
Based on the main logo, an older version used in some of Hasbro's promotional material for their Crystal Skull toy line.


Indiana
Based on the title logo of Marvel's "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" comic.


LaBouf - LaBouf Oblique
Based on the subtitle logo of the movie series. (Formerly "Adventure Subtitles")


Ravenwood
Based on the 'figure line' logo from Hasbro's Indiana Jones toyline. Also used on other licensed products.


Crystal Deco
Based on the 'figure line' logo of many licensed Indiana Jones products which came out alongside the "Crystal Skull" movie.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
HenryJunior
IndyFan
 
HenryJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CRATE#9906753
Posts: 375
I've been wanting that subtitle font, many, many Thanks!
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,027
Vance, I noticed that the background image for your little, custom-made icons is from the Montreal poster for the National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology exhibition. Cool!

Nice attempt on the "Further Adventures" font. Not perfect but it's damned close! (I've never seen a fan-made effort for that before.)

P.S. You forgot the 'e' in LaBeouf!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Vance, I noticed that the background image for your little, custom-made icons is from the Montreal poster for the National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology exhibition
. Cool!

Yeah, when I quickly grabbed the image, I wanted something that hinted strongly at Indiana Jones, but not quite so much that I'm taking from the film. Really, it was just meant to be a place-holder until I made something completely original, but I really do like that snippet.

Quote:
Nice attempt on the "Further Adventures" font. Not perfect but it's damned close! (I've never seen a fan-made effort for that before.)

The spacing's off on the capital letters, which I want to fix soonish. If there's another error you can spot, feel free to let me know. I'm not sure why the font looks a little off, since it was engineering-measured and all... but I know it is somehow. :S

Quote:
P.S. You forgot the 'e' in LaBeouf!

Well, crap. I'll fix that this week, too.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
The spacing's off on the capital letters, which I want to fix soonish. If there's another error you can spot, feel free to let me know. I'm not sure why the font looks a little off, since it was engineering-measured and all... but I know it is somehow. :S
Vance, pardon me if you already know but...

The trick with typography is that letter spacing is not an exact science and differs from font to font. Not knowing how you made your 'engineered measurements' (nor know how to create digital fonts myself, for that matter!), I can only suggest taking the following 'guidelines' into consideration:

- A letter's width determines it's spacing and each one doesn't always follow the same rule. (Ex. "I" is the thinnest captial letter and "W" is, usually, the widest.)

- Spacing is always determined according to where each letter is placed. (Ex. An "I" can sit well beside certain letters but requires some extra space next to others. Same with a "W". Because of its diagonals, you can shove a "W" very close to another letter without it looking too weird. Putting it close clears up the vaccuum of negative space.)

That said, the "Further Adventures" font is quite square so some of this advice won't really matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
If there's another error you can spot, feel free to let me know.
To fully keep with the style of the "Further Adventures" comic title font:

- You should remove all of the bottom serifs on each letter (except the capital "I").

- You could change the "W" to be square-ish in shape. Similar to the "M" but upside-down. (This could help solve some of your spacing problems because a square-ish character will eliminate the negative space.)

In no way is this intended as a criticism, Vance. People who recreate Indy fonts are often the unsung heroes of many fan artworks. Anyway, I like your little icons and, personally, don't feel there's any need to change the background image.

Last edited by Stoo : 06-14-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Vance, pardon me if you already know but...

The trick with typography is that letter spacing is not an exact science and differs from font to font.

Believe me, I know. It's a little easier when I'm doing one from scratch than when I'm reverse engineering an existing typeface or logo. The difficutly on this one comes from two distinct faces being used - the capitals have a bit of a different look from the lower case letters. The change in positions and slight change in styles caused me to screw up the "right boundary" placement for the capital letters.

Quote:
To fully keep with the style of the "Further Adventures" comic title font:

I'll hit each point in turn. Please don't take this as an argument, but rather as an explanation to where I'm coming from with this design:

Quote:
- You should remove all of the bottom serifs on each letter (except the capital "I").

The lower case doesn't have any serifs aside from the decorate upper-left corner flourish. The capitals have a different face, however, and seems to be envoking a more "Pulp Western" look with the lettering. I tried to largely keep that look going with the other letters, using the "I" as a rule.

Quote:
- You could change the "W" to be square-ish in shape. Similar to the "M" but upside-down. (This could help solve some of your spacing problems because a square-ish character will eliminate the negative space.)

This was a tough choice initially because of the two faces being used. The lower-case "W" works as an inverted M, but the upper case just did not. The cases were already different as it was, though, and I didn't want to have that much of a divergence in looks for the same font.

Quote:
In no way is this intended as a criticism, Vance. People who recreate Indy fonts are often the unsung heroes of many fan artworks. Anyway, I like your little icons and, personally, don't feel there's any need to change the background image.

Feel free to criticize! This has been helpful, even if it's just to make me revisit the choices that I made.

I did make an update today to "Indiana", which corrects a lot of the spacing issues and widens the serifs on the capitals to better match the source material. (I found a MUCH larger and cleaner image than the one I had worked from before.) I'll have it up on my site (www.pixelsagas.com) within an half hour from this post (2:33pm MT, 14 June).
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
Apologies for the double post. I wanted to edit the opening for this, but the meanie set up wouldn't let me! At any rate, updated LaBeouf with some cleanup and a few missing punctuation characters.


LaBeouf - LaBeouf Oblique
Based on the subtitle logo of the movie series. (Formerly "Adventure Subtitles")
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663

Mara's Eye
This quasi-readible symbolic font is based on the lettering used on Disneyland's Indiana Jones "Forbidden Eye" ride. Includes full alphabet, and fanon punctuation and numerals.

I actually started this one some time last year and just let it languish unfinished, largely due to another decent version already being out there. Still, my OCD kicked in and demanded that I get it done for completeness' sake.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
I would LOVE to edit the previous posts in this thread reflect the updates, but... c'est la vie...

Adventure
Anyway, this one is the basic 'Adventure' Indiana Jones font. Reworked and updated today with quite a few corrections, improved spacing, and some additional characters.


LaBeouf
Again updated since last posted, and includes the Oblique/Italic version with the main file.


Ravenwood
Now with extended characters and vastly improved lower-case set...


Indiana
Includes all the corrections listed about, as well as an italics version...


Crystal Deco
Now more of a stand-alone 'art-deco' font. Added lower case, italics, bold, etc.

Last edited by Vance : 09-03-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:00 AM   #10
Indyologist
IndyFan
 
Indyologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 2,032
Erm? None of the links works anymore...

Looking for free Indiana Jones type fonts lately, but none of these links to the downloads works. Little help?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
I would LOVE to edit the previous posts in this thread reflect the updates, but... c'est la vie...

Adventure
Anyway, this one is the basic 'Adventure' Indiana Jones font. Reworked and updated today with quite a few corrections, improved spacing, and some additional characters.


LaBeouf
Again updated since last posted, and includes the Oblique/Italic version with the main file.


Ravenwood
Now with extended characters and vastly improved lower-case set...


Indiana
Includes all the corrections listed about, as well as an italics version...


Crystal Deco
Now more of a stand-alone 'art-deco' font. Added lower case, italics, bold, etc.
Indyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.