Got the new RAIDERS DVD...

Adam McDaniel

Got the new RAIDERS special edition at Target just tonight (Sunday) in Burbank...

It's really cool, especially the new photo galleries...but the new CGI shot in the truck chase that aired this weekend on the USA Network is not to be found! The shot on the DVD is the good old fashioned one.

I wonder where we can find it in the future. Perhaps on another DVD upon the release of Indy IV on DVD?

The transfers themselves are exactly the same as the previous DVD release just with new bonus features. Here's hoping the inevitable Bluray release will preserve the original versions.

Tsar

Adam McDaniel said:
Got the new RAIDERS special edition at Target just tonight (Sunday) in Burbank...

It's really cool, especially the new photo galleries...but the new CGI shot in the truck chase that aired this weekend on the USA Network is not to be found! The shot on the DVD is the good old fashioned one.

I wonder where we can find it in the future. Perhaps on another DVD upon the release of Indy IV on DVD?

This is very good news indeed.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, can you please post a screenshot from the DVD of the truck chase cliff scene?

This also begs the question, what will the fate of the USA version be?

Indy Smith

Adam McDaniel said:

Whats this CGi truck shot you are referring to? I've never heard of it.

Travis85

I don't mind CGI touching up of scenes that look bad, such as the green screening in the bridge scene in Temple of Doom, or w hen the tank goes off the cliff on Crusade. It would be cool of they fixed these things for a future dvd set with all four movies. They might be doing this to get ready for a HD release of the original trilogy.

Dr Jones

Y'know, great boxset and all...but I wish I'd bought them each on their own!

The thin line DVD covers are tiny and don't stand out on my shelf like the normal boxes do. I may have to buy them each, as they are almost 3D-ish with the bumpy imagery. Far better buy for collectors than the boxset, in my opinon.

Can't wait to watch the new features again though!

:D

Adam McDaniel

Well... everything about the new DVD is exactly the same as the previous release (including DVD menus), but it does have these cool new features:

*A Spielberg intro about the film, with some cool making of footage. (This is also online at the official Indy site)
*A short appreciation of the film, including interviews with Lucas and Marshall. All the cast interviews are also already online at the official site's video clips.
*Image galleries: The best thing about the new DVD, with pics from behind the scenes, movie poster and title design concepts, and VFX sketches and breakdowns. Also has a storyboard comparison with the Well of Souls sequence.
*"The Secret of the Melting Nazi": Chris Wallas and Richard Edlund talk about the VFX in the finale, and they do a present-day redo of the melting head.

Ignatius Stone

Picked up the Raiders disc this morning. Really like the embossed slipcase!

Still a little disappointed that they didn't include the vintage docs "Making of Raiders" and "Great Movie Stunts" on the disc. Maybe they're waiting for the 4 movie boxset.

The stills galleries are awesome, but the rest of the "new" special features on the disc are pretty lightweight and feel a little rushed.

Cool that they included the KOTCS teaser, though. (y)

James

Dr Jones said:
The thin line DVD covers are tiny and don't stand out on my shelf like the normal boxes do. I may have to buy them each, as they are almost 3D-ish with the bumpy imagery. Far better buy for collectors than the boxset, in my opinon.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'd been debating on whether or not to go with the slimpaks.

Dr Jones

You're welcome! I mean, they're good and all, but for making an impact, they don't do it. I can read the Indiana Jones...logo on my 2003 editions from way off with the bold and brown imagery/colour, but these are teeny tiny.

Even the box set sleeve is tiny, a small Indiana Jones logo on a white background with tiny print of all three titles underneath.

:eek:

If you want a 'cute' package or for a new fan as a gift, go for slimline.

If you're a die-hard fan/collector after a decent looking trilogy to update with, buy them individually. Big, bold and bumpy design! :gun:

....I know what's going on my birthday list for June 2nd... :hat:

-Jones-

Indy4fan said:
How's the Menu? Same as the original? Better? Not?

Just read the previous posts...

Agent Spalko said:
The transfers themselves are exactly the same as the previous DVD release just with new bonus features. Here's hoping the inevitable Bluray release will preserve the original versions.