SALLAH Speaks - Podcast

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Talking Indy and more!

While we like to think the Indy-Cast is the definitive podcast when it comes to all things Indiana Jones, it looks like the folks at TheForce.net have been working our side of the street. In between talking about rumors on the next Star Wars TV show and what Hasbro action figure will be coming out, one of TheForceCast hosts sat down with Sallah himself - John Rhys Davies to talk about his career and his latest DVD project "Reclaiming the Blade".

So add another podcast to your listening list this week and hear what Mr. Davies has to say about his work in Raiders, Last Crusade, Lord of the Rings, Sliders, the TV Untouchables and much more (wasn't he on that TV show The Quest back in the late 1980s, as well).

Talks Lucas and his work on scripts ... about the cameo part in Crystal Skull he was offered but passed on -- and was rather glad as he wasn't in it and the didn't care for the "X-Files" storyline and direction it went. Mentions that Indy was to receive an award and Sallah was there? Perhaps the original "Skull" script in which Indy was rescued by the FBI at the end for saving the world from the Commies?

Best part of the talk is when he lets out that jovial Sallah growling chuckle -- the guy still has it!!!

Click here to start listening http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/In_The_Cantina_With_John_RhysDavies_124828.asp

And if Mr. Davies wants to talk to Ed Dolista on the Indy Cast, I think that could be arranged. Maybe we can talk with Julian Glover about being General Veers in The Empire Strikes Back to just to even the score and keep TheForce Cast in their own sandbox of actors.

Last edited:

AlivePoet

Hooray for Davies! May he have a worthy return to the best role he's ever had in Indy V. Also, I find the interviewer's voice to be rather uninspired and too conformist to radio standards--a Secreast-wannabe, if you will. I know radio work can get monotonous, but it's Sallah for crying out loud--be inspired when talking to him! I guess his voice is just annoying to me. Nevertheless, it's a pretty good interview.

I'm also glad that he turned down the role of being present for the wedding scene. Although his sentiment toward Indy IV isn't positive, I hope this doesn't affect his possible involvement in the fifth film.

Last edited:

Silvor

I don't get why people can say they're glad he turned down a cameo for Indy 4.
I and other people I know really missed him, especially in the wedding scene. It would've been really nice to see him there.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Silvor said:
I don't get why people can say they're glad he turned down a cameo for Indy 4.
I and other people I know really missed him, especially in the wedding scene. It would've been really nice to see him there.

I am with you - if he and Short Round were there as originally planned --- it would have made up for A LOT!!! I think a lot of Indyfans would have taken that scene and seeing the old gang would have looked over a lot of the KOTCS flaws.... I mean it - one scene and they would have been totally happy.

I was looking at the newspaper reviews form last May and was amazed how positive they all were - from USAToday, Daily News, NY Post - all raved at Indy's return............

Silvor said:
I don't get why people can say they're glad he turned down a cameo for Indy 4.I and other people I know really missed him, especially in the wedding scene. It would've been really nice to see him there.
Mitchellhallock said:
I am with you
Sorry to say, I'm not. It does a great disservice to the character he breathed life into.
Just seeing him would have led to objections like, why did they just gloss over him. If Marion wasn't there it wouldn't have made a difference, except to that scotch taped on wedding scene. But the way they handled other things they could have just showed it without including her in the rest of the movie, had Shorty digitally composited, Willie, they could have put Brody's "force ghost" in there and we could have had a great big Star Wars ending!
;)

Last edited:

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
The Indy films are like wine...

Mitchellhallock said:
I was looking at the newspaper reviews form last May and was amazed how positive they all were - from USAToday, Daily News, NY Post - all raved at Indy's return............

Mitch, have you also looked back at TheRaider.net's own reviews of the film?

KOTCS simply is far better than many think. And thrust me, the experience gets better with every viewing! Some people simply requested too much (to almost impossible) of the film.
It's actually a tradition for Indiana Jones sequels (and prequel). TOD and LC also received mixed reactions on their release, if I'm not mistaken. And look today...

DocWhiskey hits the nail on the head with this recent quote.
DocWhiskey said:
I'm a very big Ghosthead and I love Ramis despite his subpar efforts as of late, but it seems almost trendy to bash Indy 4. It doesn't even bug me. In fact, if interviews don't mention how Indy 4 "sucked' in some way, I'm actually surprised.

Look at the score of KOTC at Rotten Tomatoes and compare it with a couple other recent hits. And don't pass on any review by Roger Ebert.

And my apologies to the moderators if I'm going off topic with this. You may move it to a more suitable thread if you wish.

DocWhiskey

Heh. Glad you agree with me there, Giles.

I remember watching a video game centered show called X-Play after typing this and their host really went off subject and out of her way to call Indy 4 "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap". Clever. My friends who are into Indy got a bit flustered by her remark but I just rolled my eyes. It's over a year later. Get over it, sweetheart. And it wasn't even that bad. Honestly. You want a blockbuster sized dissapointment? Go see Transformers 2. But I guess the showing of dissapointment even over a year later tells us just how much everyone cares about Indiana Jones.

Anyway.....

I could see why Davies didn't want to appear in Indy 4, I mean it could be that he simply moved on, but then I seen that he's in that Comedy Central show, "Krood Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire".

Frankly, that show is full of low brow humor. Hell, it might even be canceled after 1 season.

So I could see refusing an appearance if you've moved onto better things but besides LOTR, he hasn't done anything....reputable. At least to me.

And lastly a brief appearance in KOTCS would be nothing but a show of respect to the fans and people who made you.

Last edited:

Jono11

DocWhiskey said:
I seen that he's in that Comedy Central show, "Krood Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire".

Frankly, that show is full of low brow humor. Hell, it might even be canceled after 1 season.
"Low brow" humor? And you're a fan of a film series that was FILLED with single entendres and crotch-related sight gags? C'mon man.

And lastly a brief appearance in KOTCS would be nothing but a show of respect to the fans and people who made you.
That's kind of weird. The way I see it, the performer doesn't owe the audience. The audience owes the performer. Frankly, I think there's a little too much of this mentality that celebrities owe us something.

DocWhiskey

Jono11 said:
"Low brow" humor? And you're a fan of a film series that was FILLED with single entendres and crotch-related sight gags? C'mon man.

Yes, Indiana Jones has some of that humor but it doesn't depend on it like the comedy show I previously mentioned. It's fine to have "dumb" humor, but Indiana Jones isn't a Judd Apatow movie for Christ's sake.

*Waits for Indy 4 to be brought up*

Jono11 said:
That's kind of weird. The way I see it, the performer doesn't owe the audience. The audience owes the performer. Frankly, I think there's a little too much of this mentality that celebrities owe us something.

The reason a celebrity is even called a celebrity is because of their fans.

Actors don't get popular by showing their movies to drywall.

I mean, by your logic you'd make me think I owe Paris Hilton something.

We, the fans, make them...and break them.

Last edited:
DocWhiskey said:
The reason a celebrity is even called a celebrity is because of their fans.
Then there are character actors, as apposed to celebrities, and stage actors, comedians...it goes on and on

I doubt any of us would be clamoring for Danny DeVito to reprise his role as Sallah.

He made a judgment call based on his own set of values. Thankfully, I agree with them. They could have had someone dressed up as Sallah, in frame, slightly out of focus...but they didn't.

The squeaky wheel getting the grease is what weakened CS. We all want different things and the content of Skull was the consensus...this was made for the fans to get you off Spielbergs back. Indiana Jones and the Squeaky Wheel. Who cares about the story! Lets put Marion in there! While we're at it let's jam Shorty in there! and Willie, let's dig up Pat Roach so no one can complain he wasn't in all four! Hey! He could be a cadaver! Now THAT's clever! Tell the press I thought of it...people will be repeating it for years!

I would love to see Sallah back, but not solely as the comedic foil. He had some great dramatic lines in Raiders, in Crusade he topped out with Belly of that Steel Beast! If you bring him back make him part of the plot, give him a reason to be there. Sorry but the only reason Marion needed to be in Skull was the Wedding.

Funny thing is Indy serves the plot the way Sallah does in Raiders and Spalko was more like Indy in Raiders.

PS He didn't like Crystal Skull!:p

James

I'm glad the Sallah and Short Round cameos were both omitted. It would've made Indy's universe seem a lot smaller and (ultimately) kept KOTCS from standing on its own.

I also think the idea would've backfired, with people saying it had been a complete waste of the characters. There's just no way Sallah briefly sitting in front of a bluescreen would've gone over well with the film's critics.

Gilles V said:
Look at the score of KOTC at Rotten Tomatoes and compare it with a couple other recent hits.

Fanboys tend to be extremely hypocritical about a film's critical and commercial reception. If The Dark Knight opens with $200 million, it means something important has just happened. When Transformers 2 does the same, it's only because the masses are mindless sheep.

Indy 4 average a late 70s/early 80s score last summer, and many pointed to that as "proof" it was terrible. Yet the recent Bond and Terminator films both garnered far worse reviews, only to be defended by many of the same fanboy sites that had criticized Indy.

What it ultimately boils down to is tone. If something is considered dark, then it gets the benefit of the doubt. It's simply what is currently fashionable among younger audiences. But Indiana Jones just doesn't fit that category.

When Indy gets hit, his knees wobble in a cartoonish manner before he goes down.

AlivePoet

Rocket Surgeon said:
Sorry to say, I'm not. It does a great disservice to the character he breathed life into.
Just seeing him would have led to objections like, why did they just gloss over him. If Marion wasn't there it wouldn't have made a difference, except to that scotch taped on wedding scene.

That's just it--why have cameos just for the hell of it?

Personally, I would've preferred that if Indy and Marion were to get married, they would've married elsewhere than the United States. Maybe Cairo. Or aboard Katanga's ship. I thought the church was a tad bit uninspired, but ah well.

James

AlivePoet said:
I thought the church was a tad bit uninspired, but ah well.

It's very 1950s, though, and true to the genre.

I'm just grateful it was nothing like what was depicted in the Saucermen script, where it played a much larger role in the story. (ie. multiple trips to the altar, a missing bride, and a Lethal Weapon 4-style reunion scene.)

AlivePoet

James said:
It's very 1950s, though, and true to the genre.

That's a fair point to make. Many details from the film were often catered toward that era, though, which is part of the reason many fans didn't respond so well to the emphasis on the 50s. A couple of times I myself wondered while viewing it the first time--is this a period piece, or an Indiana Jones film? I think the reason is because Indy doesn't fit so well into the 50s, whereas he's right at home in the 30s. So while the other films worked simultaneously as period pieces and classic serial adventure, this film moved the period and genre, to the 50s and sci-fi. That's not to say the film didn't work because of it; just that it felt strange watching him out of his natural habitat, if you will.

James said:
I'm just grateful it was nothing like what was depicted in the Saucermen script, where it played a much larger role in the story. (ie. multiple trips to the altar, a missing bride, and a Lethal Weapon 4-style reunion scene.)

You make another good point. Better the wedding be generally uninspired than inspired by the runaway bride.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Gilles V said:
Mitch, have you also looked back at TheRaider.net's own reviews of the film?

KOTCS simply is far better than many think.

Gilles - I wasn't saying KOTCS was bad, I was just saying that to hear (or read) folks talk about it - they make it sound like it was the worst thing ever on celluloid... I just remember critical reaction was great, a standing ovation at Cannes, and the second biggest BO behind The Dark Knight... yet when you read comments about the film - sometimes you think the naysayers saw "Doc Davage" with Ron Ely rather than an Indy film...

I agree with you on the repeat viewings, I just did an outdoor movie here at the house and we watched it again on the Blu-Ray .. the warehouse opening is great and the Marshall College chase is up there with bits from the other films in the series...

Were there some parts or characters I would like to change ( I think Mac could be eliminated and the film wouldn't even miss him) ? Absolutely, but overall it was a great ride... one that I hope wasn't the last!

Darth Vile

AlivePoet said:
A couple of times I myself wondered while viewing it the first time--is this a period piece, or an Indiana Jones film? I think the reason is because Indy doesn't fit so well into the 50s, whereas he's right at home in the 30s. So while the other films worked simultaneously as period pieces and classic serial adventure, this film moved the period and genre, to the 50s and sci-fi. That's not to say the film didn't work because of it; just that it felt strange watching him out of his natural habitat, if you will.

Yep I'd agree that having an Indy movie in the 1950's did require some getting use to (as did an older Indy). Saying that, I always felt that the 50's was a natural progression for our more mature hero... and the Russians, a suitable replacement for the Nazi's. I certainly wouldn't want to see an Indy movie set any later than the 50's, as anything later wouldn't seem like a period piece to me.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Darth Vile said:
anything later wouldn't seem like a period piece to me.

I think if they had digitally inserted Bob Falfa in the race car scene it would have been truly bizarre... but that would have been 1962... pretty soon Indy would have to start looking for Jimmy Hoffa - good luck on that one, Dr. Jones!

James

AlivePoet said:
That's not to say the film didn't work because of it; just that it felt strange watching him out of his natural habitat, if you will.

This is one aspect that will likely diminish if/when they make an Indy 5, as another 50s movie would balance things out quite nicely.

I think the reason it was so jarring for many fans, is that no one had really attempted it before. Indy in the 30s was a no-brainer, and the 40s had been explored numerous times in comics, games, etc. We all knew exactly what that kind of adventure would be like.

But to see Indy running around an idyllic suburban neighborhood...that was completely uncharted territory.