TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #951
Goodsport
IndyFan

It turns out that Battlefield 4 won't have Co-op Mode like Battlefield 3 had (and still has).

-G
Goodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #952
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Just because I can't stand the closed threads at the top of the page.

Mark Hamill owns the role of the Clown Prince of Crime in any medium. Give Troy Baker (The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite) a few more years of hard living and he might prove to be a contender.

Give a listen. No real need to watch unless you want to.

With the release date for Arkham: Origins a mere ten days away now, Warner Bros. Montreal has announced a new assassin, the Electrocutioneeer! That brings the announced total to... six. So far,
  • Deathstroke
  • Bane
  • Copperhead
  • Firefly
  • The Electrocutioneer
  • Deadshot

The question remains will the final two remain shrouded in darkness until post-launch? Or, will they be announced in a launch trailer perhaps?

Montana should enjoy this addition, too.

For me though, the inclusion of Deathstroke made Arkham: Origins a Day One purchase. His story arc with the The New Teen Titans way back when in during Judas Contract was my introduction into DC Comics. While I'm generally not a fan of costume updates, I really like how they've brought Slade into the modern era. He, like The Bat, really benefit from the technological upgrade.

And finally, do give a glance to the Gamescom trailer. It gives you your first taste of Alfred.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #953
Goodsport
IndyFan

Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #954
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

I'm not much of a gamer myself, but I have found myself playing more this year than in previous ones. The one game that kinda started that has an Indy connection:

DuckTales: Remastered: This is actually just the NES game updated with 2013 graphics. I grew up with Ducktales, but I was never familiar with the game, so it was all new for me. Its a really cool game with great attention to detail. They do a great job capturing the spirit of the show(and there's a couple other Disney references thrown in there). It also is pretty challenging when you set it to either "Medium" or "Hard", a big contrast from modern Disney games which tend to be easier than cake.

As fun as the game is, the "movie" parts are almost the best part, as its a fun trip down memory lane listening to these voices. Huge props to Disney for getting all the surviving voice actors back, including Alan Young and June Foray(both in their mid-90s).

I've also downloaded Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. This is the first GTA game I've owned, as I figured I might as well try it in midst of the GTA hype(I've played parts of the other games at other people's houses, just never owned it). Honestly, its what I expected in that playing it like the Sims and breaking the law and doing destructive things you'd never do in real life is more fun than playing the main story itself, which is honestly rather boring. Glad I didn't pay for a more expensive version, even if the graphics aren't as good.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #955
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
DuckTales: Remastered: This is actually just the NES game updated with 2013 graphics. I grew up with Ducktales, but I was never familiar with the game, so it was all new for me. Its a really cool game with great attention to detail. They do a great job capturing the spirit of the show(and there's a couple other Disney references thrown in there). It also is pretty challenging when you set it to either "Medium" or "Hard", a big contrast from modern Disney games which tend to be easier than cake.

I had planned on picking it up -- loved the cartoon; don't really remember the game -- but opted to wait once they announced a physical copy would be hitting retail shelves in November. The 12th, I believe. Still, I played the demo at WonderCon and was quite taken with it. Getting the original voice cast back was a coup, and the gameplay is spot on. Looking forward to playing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
With the release date for Arkham: Origins...

...upon us, the reviews are pouring in now that the embargo has been lifted. While there's some divergence in the scoring systems, the consensus seems to be: It's akin to another Arkham City, but without the refinement and polish of the previous entries in the series. There seems to be some general hand wringing about it lacking 'innovation', too.

Which seems kind of odd. It makes sense to decry annual releases for not doing anything different, but with an already stellar combat do you really need anything more than a topflight story? You can make adjustments, of course, but the core is there and it's solid. Arkham City sits at a 96 on metacritic for a reason...

I really doubt that Rocksteady's next generation entry (face it, it's coming) will expand on the premise all that much more either. In fact, aside from enhanced visuals, I'd like to see a story that entwines The Bat, Nightwing, and Robin (Tim Drake). Batgirl would be a welcome addition too.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #956
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
I had planned on picking it up -- loved the cartoon; don't really remember the game -- but opted to wait once they announced a physical copy would be hitting retail shelves in November. The 12th, I believe. S

Huh, first time hearing of this. I actually picked up the PS3 case with the code in it. Kinda wish I was willing to wait, but...it did come with this cool Scrooge Pin!

Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #957
Goodsport
IndyFan

Thumbs up

Battlefield 4 in stores today.

Though I'll pick up both the game (PC version) and the official strategy guide this morning (both already fully paid for ), I'll still need to finish the last four missions of BF3's single-player campaign before I can start playing BF4 (hopefully it won't take me more than a day or two).

-G
Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #958
Goodsport
IndyFan

Thumbs up

The store where I picked up my copy of Battlefield 4 and its official strategy guide also passed out free 8.4 oz. cans of Red Bull as part of the game's promotion.

-G
Old 10-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #959
Finn

Wait... they're printing strategy guides for FPSes now? What for?

After all, I've never heard anyone getting stuck in any shooter's single player campaign, which are as linear and straightforward as a Midwest highway. And for multi guys, they're mostly guides for "DON'T play like this if you want to win".

As for myself... still in Skyrim. There bloats my backlog again.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #960
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn

I can see it now,
"Go forward. Shoot baddies. Go forward. Shoot. Blow up red barrel. Go forward. Dunk. Go behind corner. Shoot. Shoot. Throw frag. Go forward. Shoot. Sprint. Shoot. Go forward. Shoot boss. You win!"
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #961
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, like I said, the Asian cinema is not completely unknown to me. Out of the ones you listed, I actually have seen Hard Boiled and Infernal Affairs. The former, incidentally, actually had a sequel made for it in form of a video game, titled John Woo's Stranglehold. It was a fun game, revolving around this cinematic and extremely garish shooting mechanic, much akin to Max Payne.

I bought John Woo Presents Stranglehold from a charity shop last Friday. I instantly thought of this thread and references to an Asian game, though this didn't turn out to be the game I had in mind.

Nevertheless, for the extremely one-dimensional gameplay, Stranglehold is fun to dip into.

"Massive environmental damage" is always a big plus when I'm playing a shooter, and this one really delivers!

The inability to save adds a bit of extra tension, as you're forced to employ tactics to survive long enough to your next health boost.

I also like the fact that there are a set number of enemies in each level, rather than spawning until you reach a certain point.

I've just killed Lok and entered a car park where a furious fire fight has broken out...
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #962
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
...it did come with this cool Scrooge Pin!

It is a cool pin, but do I really need any more Disney merchandise? Short answer: No. Especially when I still have the DVD sets.

Quote:

Except that they really aren't "strategy" oriented. I've flipped through a couple of 'em, and they're closer to instruction manuals. They tell you where to go, where to exactly find all the collectibles, and how to take down any bosses among other things like complete map layouts. Nothing is left to chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I bought John Woo Presents Stranglehold from a charity shop last Friday.

I've recently seen it on the store shelf, but can't bring myself to buy it. I'd much rather watch the related movies again. While it doesn't look bad, I just don't know. I'm still on the fence.

Currently, I'm, perhaps predictably, knee deep in the snows of Gotham City. ACIV: Black Flag, surprisingly enough, sits next to it untouched. While I had intended on it being a PS4 purchase, I had to cancel mine due to a hefty vet bill.

The rest of the year will likely end with Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus & Ducktales. I can't really think of anything else coming out I want to get.

In other news, Charles Cecil sat down with Playstation Access regarding the forthcoming Broken Sword V: The Serpent's Curse. The two obvious takeaways: 1.) It's coming to PlayStation Vita in 2014 and 2.) like so many Kickstarter projects is going to be released in halves.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #963
Finn

Quote:
Except that they really aren't "strategy" oriented. I've flipped through a couple of 'em, and they're closer to instruction manuals. They tell you where to go, where to exactly find all the collectibles, and how to take down any bosses among other things like complete map layouts. Nothing is left to chance.
Mm-hmm. The Internet says hello.

Complete waste of good moolah, if you ask me. Even better is simply having 'em rolling in the corners with no intention to spend at all. At least you get the pleasure to watch the maid as she bends over to pick them up.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #964
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

If you've never had the chance to run before the wind with the salt spraying across your face, I highly recommend it. Until then, I heartily recommend picking up Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Now that the game has opened up outside of Havana, it's really starting to shine.

They really need a few bawdy songs for the various taverns.

NSFW.

It also happens to be a fantastic looking game on the PS4.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #965
Goodsport
IndyFan

Exclamation

Besides the double XP earned in Battlefield 4 multiplayer play from Thursday, November 28th to Thursday, December 5th, don't forget to also log into multiplayer on December 5th to receive a free M1911 pistol scope, which was previously reserved only for the DICE developers.

Also, the China Rising DLC pack is now available to all BF4 Premium members and/or to everyone who pre-ordered the game.

-G
Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #966
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodsport
Besides the double XP earned in Battlefield 4 multiplayer play from Thursday, November 28th to Thursday, December 5th, don't forget to also log into multiplayer on December 5th to receive a free M1911 pistol scope, which was previously reserved only for the DICE developers.

Also, the China Rising DLC pack is now available to all BF4 Premium members and/or to everyone who pre-ordered the game.

Have you ever made a post here that wasn't a paid endorsement for Battlefield or FIFA? Or does the X-Bone give you achievements for how many concurrent posts you make on the same subject?

I need to ask Francis to create a video diary on this phenomenon, because no 'net rage compares to Francis'. Incidentally, this is indeed the future. Pay 60-bucks to platinum any game!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #967
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
I've been playing on the son's (an early Christmas present) Playstation 4. Been working my way through Knack. It's ratings are pretty bad, but I'm having quiet a good time with it. It's colorful, it's fun, and it's charming. I dig it.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #968
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I've recently seen it on the store shelf, but can't bring myself to buy it. I'd much rather watch the related movies again. While it doesn't look bad, I just don't know. I'm still on the fence.

If you're still on the fence I'd recommend jumping back off the way you came.

Stranglehold doesn't have much replay value. While I did complete it three times to earn enough reward points to unlock all the extras, that's only just to see the behind the scenes artwork, videos and multiplayer character models.

It's an arcade style game that doesn't call for tactics. You just have to kill everyone, preferably while flying through the air in slow motion or by using the environment against enemies and run over pick-ups.

It feels very old-fashioned, and devoid of real interaction. I need more character involvement, and more interaction, such as you get in Grand Theft Auto or the Arkham and Fallout series. I like to mix up my killing, too, by taking a break from head-on rampage by playing a sneaky bastard (e.g., the old Splinter Cell series).
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #969
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
(e.g., the old Splinter Cell series).

Have you tried Splinter Cell: Blacklist? The one that came out recently? I'm a huge fan of the first three Splinter Cell games, but when they hit the 360, they got to 'action-y- for my tastes, but the new one goes back to stealth. I highly enjoyed it.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #970
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
Have you tried Splinter Cell: Blacklist? The one that came out recently? I'm a huge fan of the first three Splinter Cell games, but when they hit the 360, they got to 'action-y- for my tastes, but the new one goes back to stealth. I highly enjoyed it.

Hadn't heard of that one, and hadn't looked into Splinter Cell again since Finn explained the new direction the games had taken. Good that they went back to stealth.

Next on my wanted list is Arkham Origins, but I'll wait until they release a set with all the DLC on disc.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #971
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Somebody formally has my attention.

Otherwise, it's a mixture of DuckTales, Black Flag, and Arkham Origins.

Damn billy goats.

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 12-10-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #972
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
If this is true, sounds like there might actually be something to the detective work here.

Quote:
I'm wondering if you'll be able to muff a case.

I was expecting a lot from L.A. Noire. While it generally met my expectations, I was hoping for a bit more from the investigations. For example, if you didn't collect enough evidence you could end up charging the wrong person. You would have essentially failed the "level", and you'd have to start from scratch. I would have also liked a bit more in the evidence collecting, but we'll see what a sequel brings.

Which leads me to the newest trailer for Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments:

I'm greatly intrigued. If Frogwares & Focus Interactive manage to achieve the promise held in that trailer, then it's going to be great.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #973
Ska
IndyFan

Quote:
Until then, I heartily recommend picking up Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Now that the game has opened up outside of Havana, it's really starting to shine

Wow you weren't kidding. The open-worldness of sailing around on the Jackdaw to uncharted islands, using treasure maps to find buried treasure, etc. is amazing. These worlds keep getting bigger and more details. Blows me away. I might say that this is my favorite Assassin's Creed game in the series, and I've played and completed them all. Maybe not in terms of storyline, but for setting and just an overall fun game to play.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #974
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Anyone playing GTA 5 online?
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #975
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
Wow you weren't kidding. The open-worldness of sailing around on the Jackdaw to uncharted islands, using treasure maps to find buried treasure, etc. is amazing. These worlds keep getting bigger and more details. Blows me away. I might say that this is my favorite Assassin's Creed game in the series, and I've played and completed them all. Maybe not in terms of storyline, but for setting and just an overall fun game to play.

Yeah, it was amazing. And then it became incredibly stale. While I'm still keen on the game and it's concept, it's sat untouched for a couple of weeks now. I've reached a certain point in the development of the Jackdaw where it's the most powerful ship in the Caribbean aside from the Legendary Ships. At one point I was fighting a pair of squadrons (originally a nautical term stolen by the air pigs!) and a naval fort!

It's a common problem in open-world games, though. So much effort is put into the world they forget that the enemies should scale to your level/ability/whatever.

I largely avoided the 'net over the holiday period, but was almost gleefully shoveling my disposable income into Bobby Kotick's lap during that same period. No, I haven't succumbed to Call of Duty. There is another franchise you might have heard of.

Yes, Skylanders. I've been intrigued by the technology that makes the whole thing come to together for a while now, and often stop by the various setups at my local retailers. Plunk down any of the 55+ Skylanders onto the Portal of Power and that character 'magically' appears on screen through the wonders of an RFID chip. It's a pretty cool use of a rather benign* bit of warehouse/inventory/whatever technology.

*- Only until Disney completes its roll out across all its properties. Then it's going to become creepy.

If you've played Torchlight or Diablo then you'll be familiar with the basic gameplay -- a third person hack n' slash. Except the world is a primary hued mishmash of, well, everything. There are pirates, robots, magic spells, and the undead. I use that last one rather loosely, however, since several of the characters aren't actually reanimated corpses.

The game is obviously geared towards children, but Activision has tried to increase the overall appeal with the addition of an actual Hard & Nightmare mode. I've enjoyed my time with it so far. What was supposed to end up being an amusing weekend diversion has grown into a 25-character collection with several hours sunk into each one!

I'm impressed with some of the work that's gone into the character design as well. They all fall into one of three categories -- brawler, ranged, technical -- but each character has a distinct personality. The aforementioned Fire Kraken has become one of my favorites, but others like Grilla Drilla, Thumpback, and Double Trouble are up there.

Has anybody else succumbed to the allure?

My collection

Flameslinger (Series 2)
Thumpback
Thumpling
Grilla Drilla
Wash Buckler
Blast Zone
Ninja Stealth Elf
Knockout Terrafin
Phantom Cynder
Lightcore Countdown
Legendary Crim Creeper