Customizing Indy Figures

lao che & sons

NickTurner said:
LOL! I have to decided to have a bash at the hat though (all punning is intentional).

that's great! You've got some good work there too. Are you still working on that tank of yours? Or is that someone elses project?:D

NickTurner

It's kinda been on hiatus :eek:

I did a bunch of prep work earlier this year and drew up some plans to get the size right and then kinda cooled off on Indy stuff (hard as it is to believe) and started some D-Day projects. It's a hobby so I have to have a "fire" going to motivate me. So while it may seem random to an outsider I sometimes switch up projects to keep me going. (That's my excuse anyway:D )

I promised myself to do it before the end of this year - and it never hurts to put in a reminder. Thanks for asking!

lao che & sons

NickTurner said:
It's kinda been on hiatus :eek:

I did a bunch of prep work earlier this year and drew up some plans to get the size right and then kinda cooled off on Indy stuff (hard as it is to believe) and started some D-Day projects. It's a hobby so I have to have a "fire" going to motivate me. So while it may seem random to an outsider I sometimes switch up projects to keep me going. (That's my excuse anyway:D )

I promised myself to do it before the end of this year - and it never hurts to put in a reminder. Thanks for asking!

I know how you feel. I have A TON of hobbies and I can never really seem to COMPLETELY finish a project. Don't worry 'bout it.:p

Grandpa Agasa

Custom Toht

I'm trying to make a custom toht using cobra commander and naboo pilot head but this is my first custom and help would be very appreciated. Will the naboo pilot head fit on the cobra commander body or will I have to do something with the peg hole? And what kind of paint and clear coat ect. is recommended for painting his hat (Crystal Skull Indy) black? Thanks very much.

inky_skin

Grandpa Agasa said:
I'm trying to make a custom toht using cobra commander and naboo pilot head but this is my first custom and help would be very appreciated. Will the naboo pilot head fit on the cobra commander body or will I have to do something with the peg hole? And what kind of paint and clear coat ect. is recommended for painting his hat (Crystal Skull Indy) black? Thanks very much.

Firstly, welcome TheRaider Grandpa Agasa - and congratulations on attempting your first custom...

toht_new.jpg

The Naboo Engineer head will not immediately fit on the Cobra Commander neck - the ball is too large. Personally, if you're any good with a Dremel I'd sand down the ball rather than enlarging the hole.

As for painting the hat, I used a standard Indy fedora (the removable one was a little on the large side) with DecoArt Crafters Acrylic (www.decoart.com) - which I then sealed with Humbrol Matt Cote.

While I like how mine turned out, forum member LukeSprywalker produced what I consider to be the definitive version in terms of accessories - so you may want to contact him for further input.

There is also a slight issue in terms of the relative height of a Cobra Commander-based Toht - unmodified, he towers above Indy (which isn't movie-accurate). You can either cut down the thighs under the jacket skirt, or swap them out for those of an Imperial Officer etc.

Good luck with Toht - make sure you post pictures !

inky_skin

Dr Bones said:
I had already posted this in the wrong section apparently...:eek: Sorry.

No need for apology - I just thought you'd find a more appreciative audience here - it's a great piece :)

Grandpa Agasa

Thanks very much inky_skin for all of your input, and for taking the time to explain everything to me. I've actually never used a dremel, so I might just sand down the ball instead. A standard one does look better, but I will have to hollow it out with a dremel, which I have no experience with whatsoever... so that's why I'm using the removable one.:( Cutting the thighs is a great idea, but it would be REALLY risky for me, I'm already nervous about attempting to make a custom. Thanks again for your suggestions and help, I really appreciate it.:) I will post pictures once he is complete, but it may take a while.

I'm not too worried about accessories at the moment, but thanks for the info!

Errex

Dr Bones said:
Those of you using accrylic paint...does it stay on the plastic well?

for the most part, yes, depending on both quality of the paint and the surface it's applied on. Priming the surface to be painted is generally a good idea, but in the case of minute sculpted detail it can hide the textures, so sometimes priming is not an option.

Good quality acrylics have good adherence over soft plastics, like the one arms legs and heads of action figures are made of. For harder plastics (think the material of the torso pieces in old SW figures) it is advisable to apply several very thin layers of paint to get a better result.

Some plastics, like the one the disk joints are made of, do not take paint well at all, making it necessary to sand the surface a little with a very fine grit sandpaper before applying paint.

Dark Horse

Just had a spare five minutes to make this bastard -

dsindy2.jpg

dsindy1.jpg

I figured he still might use the whip in case he needed to tie it round an octopus or something. :p

Very cool! I have all the parts I need but not the time yet....

What body did you use, looks like a GI Joe. I had a Coruscant Firespeeder Pilot body set aside for mine...

Lance Quazar

Hey, that's terrific! Seeing him with the gear on, though, is a little funny. I don't think that gun would help him too much under water. :)

Nice job!!!

Dr Bones

Wow...he's even got helmet hair!!

Seriously, the hair on Han makes him look likes he's under water.

Just add stubble and maybe a harpoon and I would lose the holster for a diver's knife.

Good job.

hemble

Hi All

Dark Horse great figure mate and great use of parts, I saw indy a a diving suit in a comic and always thought it would be a great custom to do and you've proved it with yours well done indeed.

Ron

Dr Bones

DocWhiskey said:
Has anyone tried using a Han head on an Indy body? I mean, the sculpt and paint job is better for the most part.

The head Dark Horse used is a fairly good likeness but needs a paint job before it passes for Indy.

The one of Han in stormtrooper armour isn't too bad...I will post it up when my camera is charged.

I also did a minor repaint on my spare KOTCS Indy that I picked up for juts £2. Looks a lot better IMHO for a quick hair and stubble touch up.

I think this Indy sculpt out of all of them had the best likeness. More so than the Han figures.

Legacy edition SW figures were a bit better (compaied to ealier SW figs)....Old Obi is bang on...but yet again Luke is awful and Harrision's likeness is more Han So-so.