What was the reasoning behind Indy's satchel placement?

Dr.Jonesy

It didn't ever bother me, but what was the point of them making Indy's messenger bag on the outside of his jacket? I find it odd they'd change this little detail so far into the franchise.

And I also find it odd that in one shot in the film, it is on the inside of the jacket. The scene where Oxley picks up the sand and places it in Indiana's hand you can clearly see the satchel located on the inside of the jacket.

So has anyone got any quotes or ideas as to the filmmakers reasoning?

And sorry if this was discussed before! :eek:

mister64

In TLC he had it under his jacket and it got attached to the tank, nearly killing him. So he probably keeps it outside the jacket so that won't happen again.

Montana Smith

Maybe he's just so masculine and confident that in older age he's proud to wear his man-bag, er gasmask bag, on the outside!

Matt deMille

Spielberg is weird. He pays extreme attention to some details, and totally dismisses others. I think where Indy's bag hangs is one of those details he just figures nobody will notice. 'Cept we do. Maybe, in the larger scheme of things, in terms of "the pic picture", it doesn't matter. I suspect that's one of Spielberg's moviemaking ingredients -- Focus on the big picture, the emotion, not the details.

But I *do* like the suggestion that after Crusade's tank peril, he smartly started wearing it on the outside.

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:
Spielberg is weird. He pays extreme attention to some details, and totally dismisses others. I think where Indy's bag hangs is one of those details he just figures nobody will notice. 'Cept we do. Maybe, in the larger scheme of things, in terms of "the pic picture", it doesn't matter. I suspect that's one of Spielberg's moviemaking ingredients -- Focus on the big picture, the emotion, not the details.

But I *do* like the suggestion that after Crusade's tank peril, he smartly started wearing it on the outside.

I think it had to have been a deliberate decision. After all, they paid close attention to assembling Indy's gear, and Harrison himself would be familiar with the 'traditional' method of wearing it.

It might be symbolic of Indy's evolution. He gets dressed in his advenure gear, but the bag goes on afterwards as the final detail that takes him back into his other life. The bag is for artifacts - so it's the symbol of carrying the prize back. It takes him from being a more passive investigator/archaeologist into the more active role of tomb raider. In KOTCS he also has the German mountain troop rucksack, which is representative of the older and more thoughtful Indy taking along a more useful piece of equipment: something that could carry a bigger artifact, such as the skull.