The World without KotCS, a better place?

Are you glad the film was made?

• Total voters

MaxPhactor23

Personally I’d much rather not have a movie then a bad movie. Call me an idealist, but why exactly should I be pleased to have (what some would deem) garbage? I’ll never understand this pathetically obedient and grateful mentality. I’m not grateful for a sub par movie. No one should be. I’d be grateful if they delivered a great movie. Crystal Skull was far from it. They should be grateful they got my money! That's how it works, I pay to formulate an opinion. If I felt it sucked...oh well. We both have to live with it.

Jones_Happens

MaxPhactor23 said:
Personally I?d much rather not have a movie then a bad movie. Call me an idealist, but why exactly should I be pleased to have (what some would deem) garbage? I?ll never understand this pathetically obedient and grateful mentality. I?m not grateful for a sub par movie. No one should be. I?d be grateful if they delivered a great movie. Crystal Skull was far from it. They should be grateful they got my money! That's how it works, I pay to formulate an opinion. If I felt it sucked...oh well. We both have to live with it.
You're right about all of this. The only problem is, you would not have liked Indy 4 no matter what it was. Period.

MaxPhactor23

Jones_Happens said:
You're right about all of this. The only problem is, you would not have liked Indy 4 no matter what it was. Period.

I doubt that. I'd have liked it a heck of a lot more if they knocked the aliens and kept it Indiana Jones.

The Man

I'll take a failed attempt to make the movie over the failure of the movie they made any day.

PoeticRocker

The movie had so much potential in the second half... So I'm basically hoping the DVD that comes out later will have a lot of features to explain itself, or a directors cut with better editing. This of course is wishful thinking and I doubt they'll release the DVD like that, but ya never know.

Still Im really glad I got to see an old Indy back in another adventure. It once again made me realize why I love these movies so much. Though despite it's flaws, I still had a blast watching it for the first time in the theaters. And I can honestly say that I haven't had that much fun in a theater for a LONG time. Indy 4 delivered in my opinion.

James

RaideroftheArk said:
When people talk bad about KOTCS I am constantly reminded of when Temple of Doom came out. The comments of "IT WAS WAY OVER THE TOP" were thrown around whenver the movie was mentioned. Now it seems the movie has moved into the classics phase and has settled into being a good installment of the franchise.

TOD received a lot of negativity upon its release. Of course, by the time LC was released, TOD had suddenly become a classic to everyone who thought LC was too campy.

The only difference with KOTCS is that the internet provides local criticism on a global level. It's like if everyone had had their own newsletter, column, or talk show back in 1984. But the critical and commercial response has been virtually the same as TOD and LC.

RaideroftheArk

MaxPhactor23 said:
Personally I?d much rather not have a movie then a bad movie. Call me an idealist, but why exactly should I be pleased to have (what some would deem) garbage? I?ll never understand this pathetically obedient and grateful mentality. I?m not grateful for a sub par movie. No one should be. I?d be grateful if they delivered a great movie. Crystal Skull was far from it. They should be grateful they got my money! That's how it works, I pay to formulate an opinion. If I felt it sucked...oh well. We both have to live with it.

I think this falls under what I was saying about TOD... KOTCS is different, just like TOD was different from Raiders. Last Crusade is sort of like Raiders so it's not that far of stones throw. KOTCS is different from Raiders, TOD, and LC...it has a lot against it in that regard. Still, at least for me, there's still enough of Indiana Jones elements that make it a good installment to the franchise.

Espeically considering the time frame of 1957...Russion/communists, Secret Military Bases, Hot Rods, Greasers, Preps, the Jungle (Tarzan was big in the 50's) Atomic Fear, and of course Sci-Fi B movie flying saucer.

I think placing our favorite retro/pulp/action/adventure hero in this time frame, it was only natural for these events to take place. It still held traditional Indy with elements such as secret temples and puzzles with adding progression of the times with the character.

spiralout

I thought it was a great movie. I'm looking forward to owning the DVD. I feel sorry for those that didn't like it though, but not too sorry. ;)

vf wing

I guess if you didn't like it, and also didn't want those who did to be entertained by it, then you might have preferred it not be made. Or maybe if you've got a big honkin' Indy tattoo covering up your entire arm and you hated Skull then you might wanna start wearing sleeves. I dunno, but i enjoyed it immensely, once i adjusted to it, flaws and all.

Bringing the aliens in was a bold move, since they pretty much had to know it would polarize the fan base. It's nice to think that most of today's young fans will have gotten the aliens from the get-go. Hopefully they won't be let down by the old ones when they get around to seeing them for being too boring with all the real world stuff in them!

jamiestarr

James said:
TOD received a lot of negativity upon its release. Of course, by the time LC was released, TOD had suddenly become a classic to everyone who thought LC was too campy.

The only difference with KOTCS is that the internet provides local criticism on a global level. It's like if everyone had had their own newsletter, column, or talk show back in 1984. But the critical and commercial response has been virtually the same as TOD and LC.

excellently said. I couldn't agree more.

Bvance

Good Question...

This is a tough one. They didn't need to make KOTCS. They had three movies that were consistently good, which often doesn't happen with a trilogy.

The first time I saw it, I thought to myself "I waited for that???" It was a disappointment. To me it felt like if I were going into the theater to see a Star Wars prequel for the first time and the movie they showed was Spaceballs. The movie felt to me like a spoof of Indiana Jones.

The second time was much more fun, and entertaining without all of the expectations.

But still, I can't decide if they should have just left the series alone or not. Maybe this is something that I won't be able to decide until I can watch the DVD in conjunction with all of the trilogy.

Even though I liked it better the second time, I just can't get the first time disappointment out of my head.

Sankara

Short answere: YES, of course!

Before 2008 the name "Indiana Jones" means three fantastic Movies. Three masterpieces!

Now the name "Indiana Jones" means three fantastic Movies. Three masterpieces!... and ONE embarrasing, lousy movie...

@jamiestarr
Wrong! There was no hate after the release of "Doom" (the emotions were mixed) and of course there was no hate after the release of "Crusade".

"Skull" will never be a classic... I think Spielberg, Ford and Lucas still know this.

RaideroftheArk

Sankara said:
Short answere: YES, of course!

Before 2008 the name "Indiana Jones" means three fantastic Movies. Three masterpieces!

Now the name "Indiana Jones" means three fantastic Movies. Three masterpieces!... and ONE embarrasing, lousy movie...

@jamiestarr
Wrong! There was no hate after the release of "Doom" (the emotions were mixed) and of course there was no hate after the release of "Crusade".

"Skull" will never be a classic... I think Spielberg, Ford and Lucas still know this.

Are you kidding? No hate for TOD? That's why SS has said numerous times that LC was his apology for TOD...or course that and to complete the trilogy.

There was a lot of people, or at least that I remember, that didn't like it because it was NOTHING like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Crystal Skull will be up there in do time...especially with the whole new generation that went to go see the movie. They will look back and remember what a blast they had seeing it and that in itself will make Skull a classic.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong...but I don't think we'll ever see Indy 4 in the 4.99 bin at walmart.

Sankara

Do you think Spielberg hates "Doom"? Ohh... you are totally wrong! He never said " I hate this movie!". He thinks that "Temple" was the worst of the three Indiana Jones-Movies. Thats all.

TRust me! Back in 1984 there was no hate like in 2008.

By the way: I guess Spielberg think that "Skull" is the worst Indy-Movie. I a few years he will talk about this

RaideroftheArk

Sankara said:
Do you think Spielberg hates "Doom"? Ohh... you are totally wrong! He never said " I hate this movie!". He thinks that "Temple" was the worst of the three Indiana Jones-Movies. Thats all.

TRust me! Back in 1984 there was no hate like in 2008.

By the way: I guess Spielberg think that "Skull" is the worst Indy-Movie. I a few years he will talk about this

I never said he hated it, but I know he was disappointed with it.

Raiders90

Sankara said:
You wrote: "No hate for TOD? That's why SS has said numerous times that LC was his apology for TOD..."

Meaning, of course, that Spielberg apologized for TOD because many "hated" it, and saw it as a poor film; Not meaning that Spielberg hated it, but that LC was his apology for the perceived (by others, not Spielberg) poorness of TOD.

eshine

Of course they should have made it!

I am convinced after my 4th viewing that there is no way this movie could have escaped the level of criticism it's recieved no matter how good it is.

The movie has topped 700 million. It would not be nearly as successful if it "sucked".

Bottom line is, this is as much fun as you can have at the movies, as long as you go into the film not worried that your childhood is going to be "raped" LOL.

Skull is just as good if not better then TOD. It will fare much better in the coming years.

eshine said:
The movie has topped 700 million. It would not be nearly as successful if it "sucked".

STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE = Worldwide: $924,317,558

reality-check.jpg

eshine

Agent Spalko said:
STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE = Worldwide: $924,317,558

reality-check.jpg
uh, yeah - Menace was also probably the most anticipated film of all time, and that 924 million figure is to date - Skull has cleared 700 mill in a mere month.

reality check indeedy.

:whip: