Indy on IMAX

Le Saboteur

Dr. Gonzo said:
Trailer for the imax release and it looks like they used a fellow ravener's art work for the imax poster... I hope legally.

In case you dislike following unnecessary links, see below.

raiders_imax_indiana_jones.jpg

Crack that whip

Dr. Gonzo said:
Trailer for the imax release and it looks like they used a fellow ravener's art work for the imax poster...

Oh?! Cool! I hadn't realized. :eek: Whose is it?

Dr. Gonzo said:
I hope legally.

Bwahh??? Do you really think it's even possible that they'd make such a boneheaded error as appropriating a piece of art without getting the necessary clearances? I find that wildly unlikely (though since you bring it up, I'd love to see it settled, if for no other reason than to enjoy the story of a Ravener getting contacted by IMAX, Paramount and/or the Lucasfilm mothership itself and dealing with them to complete a transition from devoted fan to professional contributor to the Indy legacy)...

just found out it's coming to the IMAX in my town! I wonder if the Colorado shooting will have people/the theatre frowning upon dressing in Indy gear?:whip:

indyclone25

Le Saboteur said:
In case you dislike following unnecessary links, see below.

raiders_imax_indiana_jones.jpg
poster was done by artist mark raats , he designed it last year and lucasfilm is using it fort the imax release , but get this : when you go see the four films on sept.15:
4 movies. 1 day marathon. September 15.
Exclusively at AMC, experience the complete legend on the big screen. After all these years, adventure still goes by the same name.

Click below to get tickets at a participating theatre.

$25 Ticket
Includes a limited edition poster and a lanyard.* Plus, AMC Stubs members get $5 AMC Stubs Bucks for the event.**

Click below to get tickets at a participating theatre.

so you get the poster !!!! awesome , it is first come first served so get there early!!!!

Crack that whip

featofstrength said:
just found out it's coming to the IMAX in my town! I wonder if the Colorado shooting will have people/the theatre frowning upon dressing in Indy gear?:whip:

I originally had a different answer here, but then just remembered AMC announced a "no costumes" policy in response to the shooting. I don't know why that would help anything, but there it is. OTOH, Indy's gear (and the outfits of most other people in the movies) are mostly just "regular" clothing anyway, albeit of particular eras, styles and vocational affiliation. I therefore really don't know whether it'd be ok or not; it'd be best to check in advance with your theater and see what they'll allow. At any rate, I think fedoras would be ok, though of course one shouldn't wear a hat in the actual theater once the movie begins playing.

indyclone25 said:
so you get the poster !!!! awesome , it is first come first served so get there early!!!!

Well... you get a poster, but I don't know if it's the same one. AMC has done some other marathons recently, and free posters given at those have been for either the entire overall series of movies in the marathon, or for individual new movies in those series that were just getting released, and for which the marathons led into their releases. This poster is specifically for Raiders in IMAX, and while the marathon obviously includes Raiders, it's not in IMAX, so the poster doesn't exactly describe the marathon or even a part of it, the way the previous posters have.

But I could be wrong. I'd certainly love to have that poster, as well as a separate "series" one with all four movies represented (hopefully there'll be a way to get both such things!).

Last edited:

Crack that whip

Nurhachi1991 said:
There only showing Raiders in Imax? Lame I wanted to see TOD!

C'est la vie. At least Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom will be shown as part of the marathon, and it's not like any of the movies were specially shot for IMAX to begin with.

Nurhachi1991 said:
Is that the poster we are getting for sure?

What do you mean - is it the poster they're giving away at the marathon, or the poster they're going to use for Raiders in IMAX? If the latter, then I'm pretty sure that's it, since they're already using it, at least online. If you meant "is that the poster they're going to give us a copy of," I don't know for sure, but I'd kind of doubt it, since as I mentioned in my earlier post, that poster is just for Raiders in IMAX, whereas the free poster they're giving away is being given out at the marathon, which includes all four movies but isn't in IMAX, so the poster isn't really for the marathon specifically (and the poster they gave out at the recent Dark Knight trilogy screening, for example, was for all three movies). But I might be wrong.

indyclone25

Nurhachi1991 said:
There only showing Raiders in Imax? Lame I wanted to see TOD!

Is that the poster we are getting for sure?
if you go to the indiana jones website you can read the future of the other indy films in imax!!!

Crack that whip

indyclone25 said:
if you go to the indiana jones website you can read the future of the other indy films in imax!!!

I must be missing something. I did see in the Spielberg interview that he says the other movie of his he'd consider putting in IMAX is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Where are you seeing something about the other Indy movies in IMAX?

russds

Crack that whip said:
I must be missing something. I did see in the Spielberg interview that he says the other movie of his he'd consider putting in IMAX is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Where are you seeing something about the other Indy movies in IMAX?

Same here, read the article, didn't see anything about the other movies, just Close Encounters.

indyclone25

Crack that whip said:
i must i misread that he had no current plans into making the other films into imax , and my brain said "currently." my mistake! :eek: ah well, one could only wish .

Crack that whip

(Oh, I do feel obligated to point out Spielberg must be forgetting some recent history - The Adventures of Tintin was shown in IMAX upon its release.)

Joe Brody

Here's the link.

Q. In the same way that directors are now converting some of their previous movies for 3-D, could you see other films of yours being re-released in Imax if ?Raiders? is successful?

A. ?Jurassic Park? is the only film I?ve agreed to convert into 3-D, so I?m working on that right now for a 20th-anniversary release next April. But there?s not a lot of movies I want to go back into my archives and do this for. ?Raiders? is a movie of my own, that I can actually stand to watch from beginning to end. In that sense, it has a special place in my heart. I don?t rewrite it in my mind, I?m not kicking myself for what I didn?t do. I?m just going along for the ride like everybody else. It?s one of the few films that I?ve directed that I can sit back objectively and observe and enjoy with my family or whoever I?m with, or even alone. Most of my other films, I?m hypercritical of them. I don?t have any plans to re-release ?Close Encounters? or ?Jaws.?

Q. And not with any of the Indiana Jones sequels, either?

A. I have no plans, and I had no plans to release this in Imax. Greg Foster called George [Lucas] and me and Paramount one day, and came up with this idea, and so this isn?t even something that I was dreaming about. This is someone else?s dream that I climbed aboard.

I've got some issues with Spielberg but I love it when he says that Raiders is the only one of his movies that he can go back and rewatch. And I love what he says about the boulder roll in IMAX with the new sound. Excellent.

Crack that whip

It's a slightly odd quote about his not having plans to rerelease Jaws; as it happens, there is indeed a screening of Jaws planned for next week on the 23rd (but unlike Raiders, it's just for that one day). It's not just some local event, but a general one in a number of theaters across the country (though not one near me, alas; otherwise I'd go).

Presumably it just means he didn't have much to do with the release, and that it's all the doing of Universal and the exhibition events outfit, though I believe they're taking advantage of the new restoration for the Blu-ray.

Stoo

indyclone25 said:
poster was done by artist mark raats , he designed it last year and lucasfilm is using it fort the imax release
That poster is sh*t hot. I feel very happy for Mark Raats.:)

It just so happens that I'll be back home again for the 1st week of September because of a wedding but will be leaving on Sept. 7th, the very day the IMAX presentation begins! Gotta call the airline and extend my leaving date!

The last times I saw "Raiders" in a theatre was 2 screenings during the 1982 re-release so I'm pretty stoked for this monumental event.:D

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
That poster is sh*t hot. I feel very happy for Mark Raats.:)

It just so happens that I'll be back home again for the 1st week of September because of a wedding but will be leaving on Sept. 7th, the very day the IMAX presentation begins! Gotta call the airline and extend my leaving date!

The last times I saw "Raiders" in a theatre was 2 screenings during the 1982 re-release so I'm pretty stoked for this monumental event.:D

If it's anything like the academy presentation then it will be nothing less than simply stunning. What a gorgeous print that was.

russds

Anybody happen to be going to the showing in Long Beach Town center? Edwards? Interesting enough, i thought the IMAX re-release was only an AMC thing, but I see Edwards is also showing it. Which is good for me, because I really like this theater.

http://bit.ly/Oox9Rg