Wested vs. Todd's

eazybox

Inbanana said:
Since my Todds, I've picked up a Nowak CS and a Wested ToD... and so far the Wested has definitely been my favorite. I just filled out the online order form with my measurements and recieved a perfectly fitting jacket (and I believe one of the most accurate out there at a fraction of the price of some of the other vendors)... I guess I'm just one of the few lucky ones who didn't have an issue ordering from them. On the other hand, since last year I've had mixed results with Todds customer service, but I still like his jacket, its kind of become my "beater" jacket since its so inexpensive (at least comparatively) that I don't mind if something happens to it...

Well, what happened to me was some time ago; Wested received a TON of complaints on COW since then, and if they didn't make some efforts to improve they would have been pretty foolish. The important thing is that you got a great jacket from them, and that's always cause for celebration. ;)

Jack

joebloggs

I bought a wested almost four years ago, and it has seen A LOT of wear. In fact it's the only jacket I bring with me when I go out on the road for work(am in the airline industry). I should also add that I live in Canada and use this jacket year round. It's the raiders one, and I love it. The jacket was custom made because I wanted a perfect fit, and not an off the rack fit, if you know what I mean. I dont know much about the other companies, but I was really happy with Wested. I called them a few times and they were great to deal. I even spoke to Peter Botwright. Very polite and courteous. Hope this helps. JoeB.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3593/3357092071_b5dd06f7f7_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3357902136_225212ce16_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3458/3357095039_ec7675878f_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/3357088643_7be32fe286_b.jpg

eazybox

Despite all the complaints, I believe the odds are still with you if you want to order something from Wested. From everything I've read and experienced, it is usually when a problem arises with your order that you have to start worrying (the customer service issue again). That said, I've had 3 Westeds over the years, and only 1 was without inaccuracies or serious defects.

Jack

Eric Solo

I just got my Todd's Jacket and shirt. I'm pleased with them. The jacket is very light material compared to the Wested. The XL Raiders jacket is a tad shorter than I would like in the sleeves and waistline but it's close enough.

Asiano Jones

Wested Vs. Todd's

Wested is the true, more "authentic" jacket since the original movie jacket blue-prints are used as a basis for each jacket. I personally own one, the raider's style, and could not be more pleased. I've seen a Todd's and they just are not the same. The color of the leather was off and the jacket was rather thin. I suggest to anyone looking for the best looking and the best quality Indy jacket to go with a Wested; Hands down the better choice.

joebloggs

Asiano Jones said:
Wested is the true, more "authentic" jacket since the original movie jacket blue-prints are used as a basis for each jacket. I personally own one, the raider's style, and could not be more pleased. I've seen a Todd's and they just are not the same. The color of the leather was off and the jacket was rather thin. I suggest to anyone looking for the best looking and the best quality Indy jacket to go with a Wested; Hands down the better choice.
I would have to agree with you there. Wested, to me looks more accurate and is a lot more durable. A wested is meant to be worn. I also own the raiders version in cowhide, and plan on getting a lambskin one, though I haven't decided on which style...raiders or TOD. I wont be going for LC as I prefer the earlier ones.:gun:

eazybox

Asiano Jones said:

Since Wested lost the original patterns years ago, their claim to authenticity, at least with the Raiders jacket, is questionable. They are also not the same company they were when "Raiders" was made-- they were called "Leather Concessionaires" at that time.

They did reproduce an original TOD jacket recently, which they borrowed from the family of Noel Howard, who had just died. Profiting from someone's death, though, seems rather ghoulish to me and I wouldn't own that jacket personally.

Todd, G&B and Tony Nowak offer the most highly accurate Raiders jackets available, reproduced from original, screen-used samples.

Wested had a video on their website in which they appeared to take credit for making the CS jacket, which was entirely the work of Tony Nowak.

Jack

indyclone25

well i plan on buying a todds standard and i hope that it isn't to windbreaker like i have one of the indy jackets from the texas lottery and i liked the material enough (wasn't sure if it is lambskin or not ) but it did keep me warm enough during the winter and the chicago winters can get pretty cold. if the todds is close enough to the material like the lottery jacket i will be happy i just want the jacket in a dark color cause i love my lottery jacket but the color is a light brown --- here is a pic in the jacket
6cf1_12.jpg

indycollectionstuff007.jpg

Hey Indyclone25,

I live in Chicago too and with this kind of weather, you need a nice thick jacket. I own a U.S. Wing jacket also (two actually) and a Todd's.

Looking at your coat, it looks like my U.S Wings cowhide. They are great coats and they are built to be tough. But I didn't like the light color of mine. So I heard good things about Todd, and I bought one. They look nice, they are cheap, but they won't keep you warm in the winter. It's a nice jacket in the spring, but it is really thin.

So, I saved up for yet another jacket and I wanted to go back with U.S. Wings (glad I did). This time I bought a lambskin, and I am very very very pleased with it. It has the thickness (not too thick though) like my old cowhide and the nice rich/dark color you see in the Indy movies.

If you like the feel of the jacket you have now, you will not find that with Todd's, although they are nice jackets. If you wants something to keep you warm in the Windy City and looks like the real deal, go with U.S. Wings.

I'll post pic. comparisons of the 3 jackets if you want(y)

DocWhiskey

I live in Chicago and my Todd's standard suffices.

Then again it's hard for me to get cold and this winter wasn't as bad as the previous ones.

indyclone25

i'm just hoping to get a jacket darker in color and i hope that todd's will be ok even fore the fall and spring seasons

Nurhachi1991

Yeah it does!

Hopefully I will be able to get it soon. It's the jacket from the first X-men though I wonder if Wested will do the jacket from X-men Origins.

indyclone25

well i ordered my todds standard today i should see it by next tuesday. then basically the only thing i have to get next is the boots and i will have the whole costume .

theinterchange

I briefly owned a off the rack Wested ROLA lamb. The sizing on the thing seemed strange, it was long in places and too short or tight in others.

There's a Todd's on it's way to me now, I'll post an opinion of it when I get it. [I saw pics from someone who just purchased a Todd's and it looked fantastic compared to the Wested I had. :whip: ]

indyclone25

i love the todds jacket ----it doesnt feel to much like a windbreaker but it is light --- which is good for those spring days and hot summer days
indybag132.jpg

DocWhiskey

Looks great, Indyclone! And I feel the same way about the weight. It's very light but not windbreaker light. Mine fits me like a glove. It's perfect.