Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Deadlock

Saving Private Padme

Canyon said:
Great reviews, guys, but will you leave Padme alone! :mad:

She's heavily pregnant, for crying out loud. A lot of pregnant women are constantly riding an emotional rollercoaster and she not only has that to deal with, but the possibility that she might lose Anakin, or she may even die herself.

Allow me to elaborate...

Just because she's pregnant doesn't mean she's totally worthless... She was still a senator was she not? I'm not expecting her to have more gun-toting adventures (in fact, it would have been cheesy if she had).

I would have liked to see her in action as a concerned and involved government official. Perhaps show her in her office coordinating medical and food aid for planets affected by the war, sending ships to help refugees, something like that. It also would have broken up the monotony of all the scenes she had with Anakin. (They could have scenes someplace besides her Mount Olympus apartment. Because that's where we always see her, it gives the impression that she never leaves.) He comes into her office and she's like, "Anakin I've been so busy dealing with the aftermath of the war... It's good to see you."

Here's my suggestion to revamp her death scene. After she gives birth to the kids, she's heartbroken that Anakin wasn't there, but FINE physically. After a short while, she's convinced that if she confronts Anakin, she can get him to come back. Obi Wan doesn't think it's a good idea, but she says "I'm a member of the Senate, what are they going to do?" Meanwhile, Anakin has been in healing up this whole time (seemed sort of odd that they just packed him into that suit and 5 minutes later he's fine), and is still out of it. Padme hops aboard her ship and returns to Coruscant. The Emperor finds out she's coming back and fears that Padme may be able to turn Vader. So he has her blown out of the sky. Just before Vader's helmet is put into place, his eyes snap open as he realizes that she's dead. His scream of agony and loss is muffled by the helmet snapping into place.

The next time we see Vader, he's storming down the hall to the Emperor. He says, "Padme's dead. What happened?" The Emperor replies, "Remnants of the Separatists killed her. A rebellion is breaking out among those who oppose our new Empire." Vader says, "Rebels?! I will hunt them down and kill them, down to the last woman and child." As Vader heads off to the fleet, the Emperor smiles to himself knowing that he's won.

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
SW III fixed the two great flaws of SW I: Jar Jar, and the virgin birth of Anakin. At the opera house, Palpatine told how some Sith lord (himself?) learned the dark power of midichlorian manipulation. So it suggests Palpatine conceived Anakin where he would grow up fatherless and needy, and at first sent Darth Maul to try to keep him there until he was ready. Later as Vader Anakin learned how to vanish (on the funeral pyre?) and reassemble his midichlorians for a spectral appearance, just as Yoda and Obi Wan learned from Qui Gon in the time between III and IV. I don't know how Qui Gon picked up this skill posthumously, but he could only manage a "noooo!" in SW II during the sand people slaughter.

I'm just a passive fan... am I understanding Lucas's metaphysics properly?

There was also a clever nod to the original sound FX guys: just before the lava falls, lava splashed the guy wires and made that tie-fighter laser noise.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Now that i think of it, I prefer Deadlock's ending. That death scene is kinda too big, if you could die of a heartbreak, the human world population would be very low and there would be less suicides...and I wanted the movie to end on the imperial march.

Was still good though

Deadlock

vaxer said:
Now that i think of it, I prefer Deadlock's ending. That death scene is kinda too big, if you could die of a heartbreak, the human world population would be very low and there would be less suicides...

Even thought I REALLY like the idea of the births of the Skywalker twins and Darth Vader happening in two juxtaposed scenes... Each scene requires contradictory suspensions of disbelief.

In Vader's case, we're supposed to believe that medical science in the SW universe can get a person who lost three limbs and is 90-100% covered with 3rd degree burns up and around in a short amount of time (with zero rehab). Okay... I guess I'm willing to believe that. But then we are also asked to believe that in this world of medical marvels that they could do nothing for Padme... :confused:

That seems pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:

Paden

Overall, I enjoyed ROTS. It was a signficant improvement over Episodes One and Two. But I would have to agree that the ending that Deadlock proposes is much better than the one in the film. As a parent, I found that Padme's unwillingness to carry on living, in light of the birth of her children, lacked credibility. It seems more believable, based on the willpower she demonstrated in the previous two movies and her belief that good still exists in Vader, that she would try to reach him, only to be killed in the attempt by Sidious. The explanation that the rebels were responsible for Padme's death also better establishes Vader as the driven, Rebel hunting force that we encounter in the original trilogy. Although I could accept that self-hatred left Vader with nothing but the Empire to live for, it just didn't seem like a completely compelling motivation for his later behavior. His belief that the rebels had destroyed the love of his life would be.

Overthrow

It will be interesting to see how the next generation reacts to the movies, now that they'll be the first to see the entire thing in order. I'd be shocked that Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader - and it would hurt a lot more to watch this character who I once saw as a giggling, chubby faced child (spoilers) get all of his limbs chopped off and then burst into flames. They won't have that "I am your father" moment, so watching the films will be an entirely different experience for them.

IAdventurer01

INDYfatigable said:
I still cant believe that padme died from a broken heart.

It's pretty typical, though. Trying to change the future only makes it happen. Man, that's depression for you

"Episode 3"

3-3.5 outa 10, being as generous as I possibly can...

Which makes it better than 1&2 put together... But still pretty much cr@p....

INDYfatigable

O fcourse it was my episode rating I was thouroughly dissapointed in Ep1 but loved all the rest. The new one is the best I think. Im still depressed over the fact that padme died tho. She was my fav character. :(

INDYfatigable

how dare you people bash padme! :mad: She is my favorite character. Okay so maybe its just because i think shes pretty. But anyway, you have no right to say she has character flaws. and the reamrk about the child abandonment was done in really bad taste.

INDYfatigable

Yeah unfortunately she isnt real. Epsiode 3 even though it was depressing was still better than episode 5, you have to admit it. The cgi rocks, the fighting is awesome, and you can deduce what else I liked if you use your feelings to find what I was saying in my last two posts.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
I liked episode 3... It was good.
But I think it was barely any better then episodes 1 and 2.
Although it was much darker and at times more impressive in my opinion, it still lacked what the other prequels lacked.
Can't really pinpoint what that is exactly, though.. :confused:

And (reading the previous posts here) Empire Strikes Back is far better, then Revenge of the Sith, if you ask me...
The actors in episode 5 can actually act. :p