Which Saturday Serials are there?

IndyBeck

Hi again,

we always hear the Indy-creators talking about saturday morning/afternoon serials from the 1930s that inspired them to do Indiana Jones. But the only one I ever hear mentioned by name is Flash Gordon.

Which other 1930's serials were there, especially which ones had a more Indy-esque feel?

Andre

Joe Brody

Good Topic

After reading the 'Indy's Influence' article on the Raider.net (which has a good list) and watching the Bonus Materials DVD, I don't recall seeing any reference to 'Tarzan'. I watched a fair amount of the old (1930's?) Tarzan productions as a child in the '70's, and I always felt that these old films were an influence (although I don't know if the old 'Tarzan' movies were technically a serial).

I recall one Tarzan installment that shares common elements with ToD (scary evil cult lurking in a cavern with fire, etc.) -- but I never hear any reference to Tarzan as an influence. I've wondered if this is because a competing studio has rights to Tarzan and it's a competing property? [which wouldn't make sense because I figure that would be the case with Zorro -- a recognized influence -- which has been revived and is a viable property].

Anyone have any answers? I'm not a Tarzan fan, I'm just curious.

[Edited by Joe Brody on 11-05-2003 at 02:13 pm]

Pilot

The serials that I hear most often connected with Raiders are: The Masked Marvel, Spy Smasher, Nyoka and the Tigermen, The Fighting Devil Dogs, Manhunt in the African Jungle, and Zorro's Fighting Legion. There are probably others.