The Boondock Saints

Onya

It used to be not very well known movie, with Sean Patrick Flanery (YIJC), but it's gained a bit more popularity with the broader release two years back.

I was just wondering, are there any fans of it on this board?

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Not a fan, really?
But I like it a lot and I own it on dvd
I thought it was a good, funny movie and it made you think..

Indy Canuck

I've seen it, and I enjoyed it. With the Indiana Jones references and Willem Defoe, how could a person NOT enjoy it?

Onya

TBS was the first movie I saw with Willem Dafoe in it. His performance... sort of creeped me out in certain aspects. The 2nd movie I saw of his was Spiderman, but I was never able to look at him the right way after Boondock.

Finn

Staff member
Kinda liked it. The concept was not bad... and it held some kinda funny lines. It's one of those flicks that arise from complete nonelessness to cult classics.

Anybody looking forward to the sequel, known as <i>All Saints' Day</i>?

Luckylighter

I heard it was already in production--actually in the editing room. They're just waiting for a distributer.

But to get back on topic...I was working at Starbucks when that movie came out on video initially--I guess it was around the Spring of 2000. I was working a night shift and some of my friends came in near closing--a little high and goofy--and were telling me about this crazy movie they had just rented. I went to the video store the next day and picked up The Boondock Saints, and I was blown away. It was better than your average action thriller, it actually had something to say. It had a point of view. And the action scenes were great. Willem Dafoe was great, as usual. Billy Connelly I thought nearly stole the movie away from Dafoe, as the father Il Duce. He was awesome. I can't wait for the sequel.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Hmm. Dunno. I heard somewhere that it was in pre-production state and was supposed to start shooting later this year. My info's one annal too old, maybe?

Either way, we know it's definitely not being pushed back anymore.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moderator Move

While not yet a true classic, this thread has been moved to a more appropriate forum.

DaFedora

The Prayer for Charon

And Shepards we shall be.
For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power has descended forth from Thy hand.
That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
Do we shall flow a river forth to Thee.
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomine Patris et Filii
et Spiritus Sancti.

... (DZUB! DZUB! : two caps through their eyes.)

By the way, did anyone else notice the fact that, though the McManus brothers are Irish catholics in the movies, the ritual they perform (laying coins on the eyes of the baddies they killed) is actual derived from Greek folklore and mythology, that this is the fee payed for the ferryman Charon to take them across the Styx to the underworld?

Original Raider

DaFedora said:

By the way, did anyone else notice the fact that, though the McManus brothers are Irish catholics in the movies, the ritual they perform (laying coins on the eyes of the baddies they killed) is actual derived from Greek folklore and mythology, that this is the fee payed for the ferryman Charon to take them across the Styx to the underworld?

Its an Irish Catholic tradition originally derived from Druid mythology. When the Chrisitian conversion of Ireland took place the new missionaries (St. Patrick, Columbanus, etc.) used ancient traditions infused with new Christian ideology to get their ideas across. One of those traditions is the cross of St. Brigit. Who was actually a Druid goddess, with a Christian makeover so to speak. Another tradition is the pennies or precious metal. For more info read this:

"Cornwall

In St. Ives, Cornwall, Saint Ea day is celebrated around the first of February with music and guising. Saint Ea was said to have floated to Cornwall from Ireland on an ivy leaf. They dress the Saint?s well, which is famous for curing diseases, especially of the eyes. Heated pennies are thrown to children from the balcony of the town hall. A silver ball is passed around until noon, and whoever has it when the bell strikes, is rewarded. The pennies and the ball are solar symbols. Thus, the themes of fire and water are acknowledged in the ceremony."

More stuff on this site also:

http://www.druidry.org/obod/festivals/imbolc/

Last edited:

DaFedora

Thanks for sharing with us, Original Raider! I'm certainly not the expert when it comes to Celtic/Saxon/Irish-(Catholic) historical and religious topics... to say I have but scarse hints and bits of info, so forgive me for my ignorance on that folklore element.

Conclusion: there are more than one source to this coin-laying ritual, and since the fim's partly about an Irish brotherband forged by common, deep ideologies for justice (or justified retribution), truth and equality, it's obvious your on a more precise track than me on this!

Again, thanks for sharing.