It's Not Summer Unless You Watch...

Indy4ever

Okay, for you, what film defines the summertime? As Labor Day weekend is upon us in the States and summer comes to a close, I was wondering what my fellow Raveners favorite film to watch in the summer is and/or what film is required viewing for you every summer.

For me, hands down it is National Lampoon's Vacation with Chevy Chase. The Griswold family of Chicago embarks on a 2 week trip, which turns into hell on earth, to the fictional theme park, Wally World in California.

Man, this is a classic.

The best scene is when Clark Griswold (Chase) is trying to be all sexy for Christie Brinkley with a sandwich, and June Pointer's "Little Boy Sweet" is playing in the background. All of a sudden, Clark's wife, Ellen says, "Oh God...the dog wet on the picnic basket!" Clark then proceeds to spit his sandwich out right in front of Christie Brinkley!

HILARIOUS

If you have not scene this film, I highly recommend it. It has some serious laughs.

So, what's your summer film?

Last edited:

Indy4ever

I agree...

This movie is one of my all time faves, with sooo many great scenes.

SOME OF MY FAVORITE QUOTES FROM THE FILM:

Ferrari Girl (aka Christie Brinkley): "It's too bad your married, I'm in the mood for some fun!"

Clark: "Married, oh no, I'm not married...Those people I'm with, my brother's family...uh, my brother's ring!"

Cousin Eddie: "Clark, you sure look like you could use a cold one!"

Clark: "Love for sale..."

Cousin Vicky: I FRENCH kiss!

Audrey: So?...Everybody does!!

Cousin Vicky: Yeah, but daddy says I'm the best! :eek:

IMO, Chevy Chase's best stuff ever! Although, Caddyshack is up there too! I love it when he is playing on the keyboard singing that silly song to vixen Lacey Underall, nubile niece of Ted Knight's character. And, don't we all aspire to "become the ball" when we golf?

Ty Webb: I was born to love you...I was born to lick your face...I was born to rub you, but you were born to rub me first!"

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rusty: Mom, my sandwich is all wet.
Ellen: They're all wet... Oh God!... The dog wet on the picnic basket.

:p :p

"IMO, Chevy Chase's best stuff ever!"
I don't think it even begins to hold a candle to Fletch.... or Caddy Shack... Or even Oh Heavenly Dog...

But maybe I'm just showing my age...

,-)

KDuncan

ClintonHammond said:
"IMO, Chevy Chase's best stuff ever!"
I don't think it even begins to hold a candle to Fletch.... or Caddy Shack... Or even Oh Heavenly Dog...

But maybe I'm just showing my age...

,-)

Fletch was good, both one and two. Although, I think the Christmas Vacation was better than those.

Indy4ever

Like Vacation in the summer, Christmas Vacation is required holiday viewing for me. :)

Some of my fave quotes from this Merry Movie:

Russ: "Dad, did you bring a saw?"

Clark:
"Hey kids look, a dear!"

Ellen: "She'll see it later Clark...her eyes are frozen."

Margot: "And why is the carpet all wet Todd??"

FYI: Margot and Todd are the Griswolds' yuppy next door neighbors. Margot is played by a pre-Seinfeld Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Audrey: "Do you know how sick and twisted it is sleeping with your brother...I have nightmares about what he does when I'm not lying next to him."

Ellen: (same scene) "Well, I sleep with your father..."

"Yule" crack up watching this movie! ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
A Christmas must

Clark: Oh, I was just smelling - smiling. I was just blouse - brousing. I, uh, heh heh. Well, I guess it just wouldn't... Oh hee hee, it wouldn't be the Christmas shopping season if the stores were any less hooter than they - HOTTER than they are. Whew. It is warm in here, isn't it?

TombReader

'They want you to say grace.Grace!THE BLESSING!'

'Merry Christmas!Sh___er's full!'

'Honey,have you checked our sh___ers?'

Indy4ever

European Vacation

While, I think National Lampoon's European Vacation is weaker than both Vacation and Christmas Vacation, it still provides some laughs. IMO, Vegas Vacation is the weakest.

Some Quotes from the Griswold's European fling...

"Big Ben...Parliament!"

"Guttentaug, me and my family are looking for se-!" (Clark thinks he is saying "six" in German)

Flight Attendant: "Sir, would you like that in the can?"
Clark: "No, I'll just have it here."

KDuncan

Actually, I thought the European one was the weakest.

Although when they knocked over stone henge, it was pretty cool. :p

Indy4ever

Yes, Cousin Eddie saves the day.

I always kind of felt Randy Quaid was pigeonhold/typecast after his turn as Cousin Eddie. He plays kind of the same character in Independence Day.

Eddie: Clark, how would you like yours?

Clark: Oh, a little rare...

Eddie: No...your bun.

Eddie: This Hamburger Helper is sooo good...

I HATE HAMBURGER HELPER! Egad! :sick:

roundshort

Caddyshak, caddyshak, caddyshak, the greatest summer time movie of them all!

The opening scene witht he Kenny Loggins song, if that does not roll summer in nothing ever will.

"Do you do Drugs, Danny?"
"Every day"

Then whats the problem!