Hollywood Creativity Going the Way of the Dodos?

Indyologist

In the past 20 years, I have lamented the lack of creativity in Hollywierd. Evidence of this are the painful remakes of classic films that, well... didn't need remaking. I think they should have been left alone out of respect of the originals. Apparently, Naomi Watts, monkey femme fatale of recent "King Kong" fame feels the same way. And I quote:

Even though she (Watts) is starring in a remake of a classic Hollywood movie, she said, "It's weird there are so many remakes at the moment. There's a great lack of good material and new ideas. It's emblematic of our times. We've run out of ideas, which is sinful. We're going to burn out."

Here's the source for this info: http://channels.netscape.com/new/html/live/scoop/ni/19.html?floc=isp-112

Comments? Do you agree or disagree with Watts?

With all this in perspective, how would you as an Indyfan feel if 35-40 years down the road someone did remakes of the Indy trilogy? Personally, I would be very offended. It would be as if they would be saying the originals somehow aren't good enough!

Canyon

Hey, Indygirlfriend! How are you, honey? :whip:

I think Naomi Watts has a point. It's a shame to see so much lack of creativity in the film industry. :(

Personally, if 30 years or so from now, someone made a remake of the Indy trilogy, I guess I would be upset.

Finn

Staff member
Hey, at least we don't have remakes to sequels yet...

Also, lot of this remake movie boom is partly blame to Hollywood's discovery of non-American film. They grab succesful movie plots from foreign films and turn them into a form that average American audience can chew more easily. That - or then we have some small-time European/Asian director making it big time and what's more likely to begin with than a "bigger and better" version of the initial success story?

And oh yeah, let's move this to a more appropiate section of the board, this is definitely classic material.

roundshort

I think a lot of it has to do with DvD sales. It seems that any, and I do mean any old T.V. has market sucess when they release it on Dvd. This might be giving a 'the people who are in charge' that we (the viewing_ public are interested and want to see the classics remade, (in ther mind) better. This of how silly the 1930's Kong seems and I amsure the new Kong will be very impressive. This will run its course. Like Comic Book superhero movies, when enough tank, it will be time to find something new.

Abe Vayoda

It's Strugeons Law....

There's always been crap.

There will always be crap.

But as time passes we forget the crap, and remember the good.
Fifty years down the road will we remember there was an adaptation of the Honeymooners this year? No. But we will remember Cinderella Man and Walk the Line.

I'll agree there is a lot of utter s##t out there, but there has always been. Crap is just taking a different form. In the fifties it was giant radioactive mutated bugs attacking Los Angeles. Personally, I'd prefer endless sequels to that radioactive spider who saves New York.

If in 40 years they remake Indiana Jones, I'll hopefully be old and cranky enough I won't care.

roundshort

Speaking of remakes, I netflicked the Dukes of Hazzard, like every straight red blooded male that watched that show back in the day . . .yeah the movie sucked, but you have to admit, the first time they launch that Dodge Charger, the blood gets moving, not to mention Jessica Simpson, wow!

JerryKing

The woman's objection to remakes does not prevent her from grabbing money from one, of course...

She did not mention the third plague, however - "games to movies". Perhaps because there aren't so many of them left? After the live "Pac Man the movie" entered production this year, the list grew much shorter, as there are some titles that just can't be adapted well enough. "Pong the movie" would probably not be welcome by mainstream audiences. But there is always hope for "movies to games to movies". This has not been done yet, so why not have Uwe Boll or W. S. Anderson direct an "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine"? Or, to tackle something newer, "Paul W. S. Anderson's SCARFACE - THE GAME: The Movie"...

Anyway, are any executives out there listening? I have a remake-related scheme for you: finance a low-budget project partially and pour large sums into promoting it. Then, when the hype is bigger than a hamburger ordered by Harry Knowles, remake the project and release the remake first, followed by the "original version", financed from the remake's income, a while later. Yes - start remaking films that have not been made yet.

Oh, and start remaking sequels and those really old films, too. "Titanic" is ripe for remake, for instance. How old is it? About 2000 years, to the modern hip audiences. All it needs is trimming down a little for saud audiences - instead of boring ancient stuff like character development or dialogue, two hours of bullet-time firefights, explosions on impact and karate on wires would be nice. It would be advisable to adapt the remaining dialogue for modern hip audiences, too, so that it can hear the language to which it is accustomed.

This, for instance:

"Murdoch fires his Webley twice in the air, then point it at the crowd.

MURDOCH

I'll shoot any man who tries to get past me.

Cal steps up to him.

CAL

We had a deal, damn you.

Murdoch pushes him back, pointing the pistol at Cal."

should be adapted and changed to:

"Murdoch fires the MAC-10 into the crowd.

MURDOCH

Die, m$#*$@$*! Dieee!

Cal steps up to him, cackling in evil glee. Behind him, explosions rock the ship.

CAL

Yo, wassup!

Murdoch fires at Cal, who falls down. Groaning, he glances at the Kevlar vest that just saved his life. In SLOW MOTION, he reaches into his pocket, jumps up and, while still in the air, empties his sideways-held SILVER COLT 1911 into Murdoch's chest"

Now, just attach Paul W. S. Anderson or Stephen Sommers to it, and the hit is guaranteed. Sequels, too. "Titanic IV: The Resurrection" is a guaranteed golden egg. And then just think of the crossover possibilities - "Die Hard on the Titanic", "The Matitanic", "Titanikong" "Titanic versus Air Force One", "Freddy versus Titanic"...

Finn

Staff member
JerryKing said:
She did not mention the third plague, however - "games to movies".
Uwe Böll + co have only been the sad start of it. The trend's only really kicking in, this time as full Hollywood budget movies, with big time people. We've had Doom already, and coming up next: Max Payne, Splinter Cell, Hitman and Halo.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if even one of this turns out to be a decent piece, big budget or not.

intergamer

In my opinion, there's just as many original films as ever before. Ever since the beginning of film, there's been series and endless sequels. This may be a case of "In my day we walked in the snow to school uphill both ways" syndrome. If there is any difference, it may relate to the pervasiveness of advertisements for sequels and remakes, which are considered sure hits and therefore blockbusters. The same type of films were considered blockbusters in the past, but advertising for the average product may have become louder and more annoying.

roundshort

I agree intergamer, but you have to admit, Hollywood recently has followed trends, a few years ago, it seemed every blockbuster was made twice (different versions form different houses), then it was sequals, t.v. shows made into movies, spoofs,remakes.

Think of how lame origanal TV shows have become. I do not have cable, so I am probably a bit behind, but it seems every show is either a knock off of Beverley Hills 90210 (all the countless teeny-young adult drival, which I have never seen any of, so i may be way off base), Cop/Trail drama (Medical crap falls into that), and realitly shows. THank god for the cable channels, like Comedy centrel to at least try new shows!