Honor Among Collectors

Dr.Jones

The story starts early this morning. Yours truly was rapidly striding through the aisles at the local Target. I have a routine of when I visit the emporium; every time they get in new shipments. I was approaching the familiar aisle of IJ paraphenalia, still scanning the shelves.
You see, the stockboys have come to despise me. I buy figures, they must work to put some back on the racks. So, they started hiding some of the merchandise. I'd find a whip there and a Cemetery Warrior here. But back to the story...
I heard a conversation taking place. I tried not to eaves-drop, but when someone is screaming, you tend to notice. One man was interrogating a worker as to EXACTLY when the next crates of something were coming in. "Well, they BETTER be in by tomorrow, or I'll take this to management!" The man claimed. I rounded the corner, my head high, not making the realization that...
The man came into view. In his arms were stacks, I mean 4-figure-high stacks, of Indiana Jones 3 3/4" action figures. He looked at me, predicting my own intentions. I stared at the last Talking Jones 12" on the shelf, gleaming between us. Just my luck, it was in just about the exact center of the row. The man looked at me, me at him, the both of us at the figure. He grinned, I followed suit. Sudden'y, he broke into a full sprint, straight toward the prize. I dashed ahead, trying to outrun him. We advanced, closer... closer... closer... and...

"WAIT!" I yelled, nearly skidding into the man. I held out my arms to emphasize my interjection. He looked at me, bewildered. "We both want the figure, right?" He nodded. "But I'm guessing you want something else, too." He eagerly nodded. "What did you want?"

"The Whip-Cracking Figure. Why?" He asked incredulously.

"I'll take this figure and help you track down the other, okay?" He was apprehensive at first, but finally agreed. We each scoured every open shelf, trying desperately to find the treasured figure.

Nothing. That's exactlly what we found. Nothing. As I faced defeat and almost gave the guy the Talking figure out of courtesy, I turned to face the shelves line with foam alphabet letters.

No! It cannot be! Would they use my own Indy knowledge against me?!?! I thought, my suspicion growing. I reached out to the green "X" and pushed it aside. From the shadowy depths, the brown and gold packaging of an Indiana Jones box appeared. I slowly pulled the box out, like a fine wine, hoping that we met success. Sure enough, it was the coveted Whip-Cracking variety. I handed him the box, he handed me mine. We shook hands and wished good days to each other. You may be wondering why I shared such an extraneous account with such esteemed colleagues as yourselves. Well let me explain...

I truly realized something then. I noticed the comraderie that all Indyfans have. We are "all in this together." If we find something, we let others know. If we find the final piece in our collection, and someone else cannot, we help. It is an inspiring tale to experience as I did. But the moral of this story is, that when you are hunting a collectable or otherwise, it doesn't hurt to stop and help someone out.

Again, I thought I'd share.

Billy Ray

Crayfish said:
I walked into Wal-Mart this morning and Jesus and the Kool-Aid Man helped me shop.

LMAO!!!!

Great story, though I can't imagine all that exertion over the train wreck that is the 12" talking Indy.

JgonzalezNJ

Talk about the Talking Indy, I noticed in WM today that they restocked and the Talkers had a different head sculpt or something because even the hat looked better and the teeth were showing on all of them, is it possible?

Dr.Jones

Although I cannot discount the possibility that the man was a scalper, I can assure you that he was neither an advertising icon nor a religious icon.

And, as you were wondering, I just felt the duty to find this Talking Jones 12". I personally like the concept.

Indy fan 235

Great story. I agree there should be honor amongst us collectors.

But scalpers, they are like the Belloqs of the collecting world.

ForbiddenEye

I don't know, sounds like if anything went south that would've turned into a "Throw me the whip cracking Indy and I'll throw you the 12"! No time to argue!" situation.

heh heh...
:D

tnswman

huh? you mean you were worried about a figure at target when Wal-Mart has tons of thm?

This is a little too dramatic I think and made NO SENSE!

Bullwhip said:
I guess I'm the only one who found the first post depressing.

I'm with you! You know what I consider honor among collectors…not this story! I consider it when you just willfully share or even give up a find for someone else. I found a lone Crystal Skull (jacketed) Indy, was planning on purchasing it, but a little boy came up searching the pegs. I was so shocked that a child was interested in Indy that I just up and asked if this was one he was searching for so avidly. I gave it up happily and the kid ran off to his parents with a big smile. When you put someone else before your own petty collecting needs, recognizing that ultimately they are just mere toys, that's honor among collectors. This struck me more as a begrudgingly immature and selfish competition (to horde) that ultimately ended in cowardly acceptance of other consumers. No offense meant but...the original post didn't pull at my heart strings whatsoever. It actually made me somewhat embarrassed.

Last edited:

Ignatius Stone

One day that epic tale will attain the stature of tribal myth... it will be a cultural touchstone which anthropologists of the future will regard as defining an entire generation.
Or ... not.:hat:

Indy fan 235

FishbowlHead23 said:
I'm with you! You know what I consider honor among collectors…not this story! I consider it when you just willfully share or even give up a find for someone else. I found a lone Crystal Skull (jacketed) Indy, was planning on purchasing it, but a little boy came up searching the pegs. I was so shocked that a child was interested in Indy that I just up and asked if this was one he was searching for so avidly. I gave it up happily and the kid ran off to his parents with a big smile. When you put someone else before your own petty collecting needs, recognizing that ultimately they are just mere toys, that's honor among collectors. This struck me more as a begrudgingly immature and selfish competition (to horde) that ultimately ended in cowardly acceptance of other consumers. No offense meant but...the original post didn't pull at my heart strings whatsoever. It actually made me somewhat embarrassed.

Nice story, Fishbowl! I'm sure you made that kids day!

indyclone25

i went thru stuff like this with star wars --- you have guys that go in at the opening of a store to grab everything and all so they can go to the next comic book convention and sell it at inflated prices ---- if it was me i would have grabbed the talking figure and walked away -- as he would probably be cussing me out --- but thems the breaks ---- sometimes when you want something you need to be cuthroat, just like rene belloq---but i will have give the kids the toys first --- and i have done that --- i had a few star wars figures that i finally found and when the mother and son came looking foor toys and he saw what i had and then they looked for some i pretty much said " hear kid take " " enjoy it " and the kid was happy and the mother thankful --- i feel pretty good when i do things like that ---:hat:

MolaRam1968

Trade...schmade.

I would have taught scalper a lesson for being ignorant to the employee.
I would have grabbed the 12" and said "Hope they re-stock THESE tomorrow, too!"

i hardly ever run into true collectors when im out...except for the weird middle-aged Hot wheels guys and the douchebags that will scavenge anything to put it up at higher price at the local comic and hobby stores