Best Tim Burton Film

Short Round

What's your favorite Burton Film?

This is a very hard decision because he has made so many great films. Mine is The Nightmare before Christmas. I know he didn't direct it but he did make it up and produce it. Next would probably be Edward Scissorhands.

I HATE Tim Burton.

That said...

Vincent
Ed Wood

Those are the only films of his that don't make me want to vomit intensely or enact violence upon furry animals.

Niteshade007

I liked Batman and Batman Returns, at least parts of them anyways. I haven't seen Beetlejuice in years, but I remember enjoying it. I don't hate Burton, but he isn't my favorite director ever.

I love Batman first, then Edward Scissorhands. I also appreciate Batman Returns and I like Beetlejuice (when I was a kid, this was one of my favourite movies).

Tim Burton is not the classic director that offers you something that could be enjoyable for every people. I think that he isn't the kind of man that tend to create commercial movies (except Batman, but I don't think that he foresaw the incredible success of the movie).
So it's a director that makes a kind of films that you can love or disklike (hate, if you prefer). I think that there isn't a middle way between those two choices, but is just my opinion.

PS: Interesting thread Short Round:hat:

Matinee Idyll

Batman wasn't intended to be a 'commercial' film? Huh?

Anywho, he's a shlock who's made millions ripping the visual stylings off infinitely more talented filmmakers like Lang, Gilliam, Murnau and David Lynch.

That said, 'Vincent' was awesome, and Scissorhands and Ed Wood were good - if only he'd gone more in that direction.

Why the hell would you remake Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Oh, that's right: $$$.

Matinee Idyll said:
Anywho, he's a shlock who's made millions ripping the visual stylings off infinitely more talented filmmakers like Lang, Gilliam, Murnau and David Lynch.

Good call. Don't forget Robert Wiene though. His Cabinet of Dr. Caligari stands as the greatest basis (in my mind) for Burton's "own style." The "influence" is pretty blatant.

Don Karnage

wow, lots of haters..... curious.

i enjoy TBs films quite a bit really..

Edward Scissorhands is classic.
Batman was very well done.
Id have to say my favorite is Betelgeuse without a doubt.

Eric Solo

Katarn07 said:
You may be making a joke, but that is my favorite Burton movie.
Pee Wee was great! That's one big reason why he got to make all his subsequent movies. Another vote for Pee Wee.

Short Round

"Why the hell would you remake Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Oh, that's right: $$$"

I have to disagree with you there. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a great film. I haven't seen Planet of the Apes, though.

oki9Sedo

Short Round said:
"Why the hell would you remake Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Oh, that's right: $$$"

I have to disagree with you there. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a great film. I haven't seen Planet of the Apes, though.

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was good too. Planet Of The Apes is the worst film he's done and one of the worst summer films I've seen. Crap sets, crap cinemtaography, crap score, crap actors, crap costumes, crap dialogue, crap everything. There wasn't a single good thing in that movie. Not one.

oki9Sedo said:
I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was good too. Planet Of The Apes is the worst film he's done and one of the worst summer films I've seen. Crap sets, crap cinemtaography, crap score, crap actors, crap costumes, crap dialogue, crap everything. There wasn't a single good thing in that movie. Not one.

It also took all the racial commentary of the original film and threw it right out the window. Where the original was a work examining social relations, the remake was an excuse for special effects. Sad.

oki9Sedo

ResidentAlien said:
It also took all the racial commentary of the original film and threw it right out the window. Where the original was a work examining social relations, the remake was an excuse for special effects. Sad.

Yeah! Not to mention even the effects were boring.

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a great film."

If you like the taste of lame derivative crap, ya... I thought it stank worse than St. Johns harbour at low tide....