Noah's Ark

Tennessee R

I know this has been discussed before, but I want to start in a new way, by first giving you a website, and then letting you comment on it.

www.wyattmuseum.com

And click on the link to the left that says Noahs' Ark.

I

Indy_Jones88

This is a very interesting article. Thx for posting it.

Some people say we still havent found Noah's Ark. This article says we have. What are your opinions? Have we found it or are we still searching for it?

Luckylighter

Pretty much every civilization has a "Flood Myth": Babylonians, Sumerians, Hebrews, Mayans, Aztecs, the list goes on.

Check out this site:

http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/titania.htm

From what I learned in Mythology courses in college, this website is very accurate, and has some good information for a person to get started on learning about Flood Myths. What I don't like about this site is the lack of details for each Flood Story they reference. But like I said it is a good start.

This site is better:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html#Sumerian

It has more detail, and is closer to the stories I learned in college.

I've read a book by this guy claiming that he has found the ark of the covenant. It was good read, but he gives little evidence to support his claim.

Strider

Ahh, 007. Nice name, I'm a big fan of Sean Connery and Pierce Bronson.
Do you know the title of that book?

The book is simply called Ark of the Covenant and is written by Jonathan Gray about Wyatt's discovery of the Ark.

I

Indy_Jones88

Thx. I will have to find it and read it. I am very intrigued by the Noah's Ark, The Ark of the Covenent, The Holy Grail, and all Biblical artifacts. I may not know much about it but i am very interested.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indy_Jones88 said:
Thx. I will have to find it and read it. I am very intrigued by the Noah's Ark, The Ark of the Covenent, The Holy Grail, and all Biblical artifacts. I may not know much about it but i am very interested.

Hey Jr. Keep your eyes posted on this forum. There are some good discussions about a good deal of these topics. Love your enthusiasim. ;)

whipem

I've always thought that since nearly every culture has some sort of flood story, wouldn't that be evidence of the Bible leading up the Tower of Babel (all men lived in Babel, but when they strayed from God, he dispersed them; therefore, they moved to different countries, speaking different languages)?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Most evidence shows that the Great Flood you speak of happened prior the the construction of the Tower of Babel. Evidences of it still remain, and more importantly, Sadaam was heading a project where he was building directly upon the ruins of Nebuchadnezzar, and what many believe to be the Tower originally spawned by Nimrod and Babel...

if you believe in any of that sort of thing... ;)

OldawanKenobi

Hi all :) New person here

whipem816 said:
I've always thought that since nearly every culture has some sort of flood story, wouldn't that be evidence of the Bible leading up the Tower of Babel

No,it would not.The reason is because most of the flood myths that you're talking about pre-date the Hebrew story by a number of years.

The problem with proving the Flood ever happened is that archaeology and geology do not support such an occurance on a world-wide level.We've been able to estimate the time of Genesis to about 6,000 years ago.Geologically speaking,that's not a very long time and to have every single human and animal on Earth wiped out by a single event would leave(literally)tons of archaeological evidence(i.e.,skeletal remains,etc),which an analysis of stratigraphy would prove.That evidence does not exist in the archaeological record.

Not only that,but a cataclysm like that would obviously cause the culture of all societies to revert back to nothing.Again,there is no evidence to prove that there has been any sudden break in the culture(or language)of all the world's various societies at that point(or any point)in time.

Last edited:

LaoChe

OldawanKenobi said:
...Geologically speaking,that's not a very long time and to have every single human and animal on Earth wiped out by a single event would leave(literally)tons of archaeological evidence(i.e.,skeletal remains,etc),which an analysis of stratigraphy would prove.That evidence does not exist in the archaeological record...

There is, however, suggestion that there were floods scattered all over at various locales around the globe. Since any one culture in history could not perceive the world on a macrocosmic level, it's easy to conceive that while THE WORLD wasn't flooded, their area was. Though it would seem as though the flood covered the world.

Tennessee R

Nice question, OldawanKenobi, and great answer, Lao Che.

Yes, whipem816, it is very possible that if the flood ocurred in (just using approx chapters) Genesis 6-8, and the Babel incident ocurred in Genesis 11, then everyone at Babel spread the word, through the ages, and with the tounges they spoke, and we have (I believe way over) 100 flood ledgends today.

OldawanKenobi

LaoChe said:
There is, however, suggestion that there were floods scattered all over at various locales around the globe. Since any one culture in history could not perceive the world on a macrocosmic level, it's easy to conceive that while THE WORLD wasn't flooded, their area was. Though it would seem as though the flood covered the world.

That is very possible,but archaeology deals in fact,not perception.People also once believed that the Earth was flat,but science did not support that either.

I would definitely agree that there were floods scattered around the world at various times,some of them with cataclysmic results.However,I believe that what we are dealing with here is ultimately a lesson in how myths can pass from one society to another,as opposed to archaeology.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Here is a link to the chronological timeline from Adam to Abraham. It includes the Flood, at around 3600 BC Dynamical Time. This is drasticly different than the conventional Atomic time, but the passage of one day remains consistant. Having a common point of reference helps to unify the arguements.

Time

OldawanKenobi

Indy_Jones88 said:

So am I.I don't necesarily believe that science and faith are mutually exclusive,even though they're sometimes pitted against each other.Let me offer a word of caution,though.Biblical archaeology is often not really about archaeology at all.More often,it's about people trying to validate their own faith/beliefs,sometimes at the expense(and abuse)of archaeology.Not to mention that it's the nature of faith to believe in what cannot be proven.

It's a fascinating field,but controversial,too. Proceed with caution.

Last edited:

Doc Savage

Caution needs to be applied to any search for truth, but incredulity seems to permeate the area of Biblical archaeology. Archaeologists and historians who've set out to disprove the Bible's claims have often been converted when they view it's unerring accuracy. Williams Albright and Ramsay spring to mind. There is more analytical, statistical, and legal evidence for it's authenticity than any other historical document.