Star Trek or Star Wars?

Star Trek or Star Wars: Which Do You Like Best?

• Star Trek

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • I couldn't decide between the two

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
Your loss....

A smart person doesn't pick one over the other... A smart person enjoys each for what they offer, in spite of their obvious failings.

Finn

Staff member
A smart person doesn't deal in ultimates, but may still find one more enjoyable than other.

And at least this far, I have had more fun with the Star Wars franchise.

"What's better?" is kind of a stupid question, "which one you like more?" would be more appropiate.

Katarn07

Star Wars

I prefer fantasy to sci fi, and Star Wars is essentially a fantasy in space. Star Trek gets bogged down with the technical mumbo-jumbo at times. Also, there's so much Trek out there, I'm bound to dislike much more of it than the crappiest installments of Star Wars. DS9, for example? Give me TPM and AotC anyday over that garbage! :p

That said, I love TNG and am sorta ashamed to admit I enjoyed Voyager and Enterprise during their initial runs. Reruns? Err, not so much. lol

|ZiR|

Star Wars, but only the original trilogy. None of the prequels or extended universe stuff. SW began and ended for me with episodes IV, V, and VI. The others are just like... not Star Wars. They felt, I dunno -- fake. Imitation SW. Star Wars lite. To be fair, though, The Phantom Menace did an okay job of recapturing some of the original magic. A better job than episodes II and III did, at any rate.

I'm unfamilar with Star Trek (our house was a Star Wars house), so I am understandably biased. Still, if I'm going to watch a campy old school space-saga, it's gotta be Lost In Space.

nezobiwan

I think a "both" or "no opinion" choice would greatly improve this poll. However, I chose Star Wars. I like how everything is archetypal and more geared towards a fantasy rather than sci-fi genre. I think that George Lucas deserves his status as "modern myth maker." The Star Wars movies are also great to show to children because it teaches them things about tolerance, acceptance, and that just because someone is in charge it doesn't mean they're right. And of course, to harness the darkside within one's self.

I suppose if I were to watch classic Star Trek I might find some of the same lessons, but frankly Luke and Han are cuter than Kirk and Spock... hehehehehe.

Michael24

I guess you could say I've had more fun with STAR WARS thanks to the spin-off comics, books, video games, toys, etc. With STAR TREK, I just like the movies and some of the series and never got into its own Expanded Universe because it's a lot more congested and unorganized than STAR WARS'.

At the end of the day, I guess I'd choose STAR WARS, but I grew up on both franchises and enjoy them equally.

Gear

herr gruber said:
Star Wars v's Star Trek. Round 15. Han Solo delivers a knockout blow to Captain Kirk's jaw. Kirk, dazed and confused, stumbles backwards, sweat and blood soaking through his V-neck sweater. " I give in to the might of Star Wars!" he screams. Han Solo smirks and steps out of the boxing ring - into the arms of his adoring Leia. Kirk, earnest and loyal, has his brow dabbed by his Vulcan boyfriend, Spock. " Captain, you have blood on your sweater", he says. " I know, my friend, but I suppose it was inevitable that I would take such a beating from the gargantuan Star Wars franchise". The End. ;) :eek:

LOL! Did you watch the Roast of William Shatner?
Oh yea, I like Star Wars better than Star Trek however I think the're both good.

gear guardian said:
LOL! Did you watch the Roast of William Shatner?
Oh yea, I like Star Wars better than Star Trek however I think the're both good.

Yes, I saw it. Sulu was ripping Shatner a bit TOO harshly, I thought. Then again, I've just ripped him myself so, go for it, Sulu!!!

NoCamels

Hmm...
...Star Wars for overall quality...
...Star Trek for sheer amount...
...Original Trek for cheesy goodness...
...Star Wars for not copying Star Trek...
...I have a cat named for a character in Voyager...
...Star Wars fanfiction gave me typing skills and an interest in writing...
...Star Trek for having a movie involving time travel, saving the whales, and "Nuclear Wessels"...
...Star Wars for not having "Star Trek: The Movie"...
...Star Wars for having better aliens...

I like them both for different reasons.

Katarn07

NoCamels said:
...I have a cat named for a character in Voyager...

Neelix?

...Star Wars fanfiction gave me typing skills and an interest in writing...

Same here.

...Star Wars for having better aliens...

That's probably because you just see a bunch of them in the background getting drunk. I'm sure the Ferangi would have been cool if they just were in a dimly lit cantina booth for 2 seconds opposed to being made into "threatening" bad guys (they were made comic relief rather quickly on in the show's run). I betchya Rodians would be pretty lame if they had bigger parts than Greedo.

deckard24

Star Wars for sure, but my appreciation for those films has rapidly disintegrated over the last few years. I still hold the OTC in high respect, but I can't lie the Prequel trilogy tarnished that a bit as well. Let's just hope Lucas doesn't repeat himself with cheapening the Indy trilogy ala TV shows and lame son-of movie spinoffs!

indyfan85

I voted Star Trek,

To me Star Wars was always about fantasy while tying heavy spiritual & religious themes into the story.

Star Trek on the other hand is purely science, it also catapulted sci fi into a new era, it was the original.

Katarn07

NoCamels said:
Nope. Tuvok. He had very large pointy ears as a kitten.

Ahh, I couldn't think of any cool alien names. How'd I forget Tuvok? Tim Russ was amazing as a Vulcan!

To me Star Wars was always about fantasy while tying heavy spiritual & religious themes into the story.

The fantasy part is why I prefer it to Star Trek, and I never picked up on heavy spiritual/ religious themes. It's a fantasy, but that doesn't mean it's an allegory.

Indy_Chic

STAR WARS

Star Wars got me into science fiction in general, collecting and reading way too many star wars books, writing, and I just the love the storylines of the characters involved.(y)

Though I do not mind Star Trek. The series I watch on occassion is The Next Generation. I like the character Jon-Luc Picard. He rocks.

jonesissparrow

I never gotten into Star Trek

I think Star Wars is a better franchise because like Raiders of the Lost Ark it had that cliffhanging action from the serials that and add in the nice exposition and that was it entertaining and so forth. While Star Trek felt too talky like the Matrix and not enough action for me to sit down and enjoy it properly, Star Wars was clunky too at times but I was a much better product of the two. I know trekkie fans I have said that Master and Commander was like Star Trek on the high seas, I disagree because too me M&C was a much better sea picture and while it was talk it, it had a bit more tension.

P.S. Star Trek II was awesome even for a non fan like myself.

otto rahn

indyfan85 said:
I voted Star Trek,

Star Trek on the other hand is purely science, it also catapulted sci fi into a new era, it was the original.
I'm sorry but there is almost NO science in "Star Trek " ! There is a certain amount of psuedo science and a lot of buzz words that SOUND scientific ("tricorder", "phaser", "dilithium crystals" etc etc) but little or no science, nor any real attempt to explain the psuedo science employed in the series.