Jungle Cutter

You guys/gals need to go out and get married immeditely!
Get some pot stickers or whatever they serve at TGI's and make nice!

I love a fight but WOW, there's just too much...

Crystal Skull was week because there was no real danger...I mean could a group that infiltrated a US Gov Top Secret Base that held THE Ark of the Covenant be as bad with automatic weapons as the A-Team?

I have better aim with Nerf Guns!

Spalco sucked because all she did was talk. The sword was a nice affectation, wow Mutt got his very own scar!

Weak! The Ant's had great potential but never delivered...crawling in his mouth was creepy at best!

The first ten minutes of Raiders had three dead bodies! Crystal Skull was powder puff!

EvilDevo

deckard24 said:
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to look for it... sometime, considering I'm in no real hurry to watch Skull anytime soon!;)

Deckard, you watch it yet? Scene select if you really need to avoid the movie, just watch it! I need to prove somebody wrong today.

(Read as: for once in my life)

Rocket Surgeon said:
The first ten minutes of Raiders had three dead bodies! Crystal Skull was powder puff!

Skull had 4. Skull FTW.

EvilDevo said:
Deckard, you watch it yet? Scene select if you really need to avoid the movie, just watch it! I need to prove somebody wrong today.

(Read as: for once in my life)

Skull had 4. Skull FTW.

Yeah, those flaming q-tips, sorry, ruskies were way more graphic than a decomposing corpse impaled on spikes slow turning into camera close up!

You are right there were 4, but then I started thinking, what did Spielberg do to get Raiders from an R rating to PG. He set Belloq on fire!

Skull was POWDER PUFF! ESAD:dead:

EvilDevo

I was talking about the American guards... "Sorry gentlemen."
I think there was four of them.

Anyway... yes, yes I know. Raiders is vastly superior in terms of, well, everything.

EvilDevo said:
I was talking about the American guards... "Sorry gentlemen."
I think there was four of them.

Anyway... yes, yes I know. Raiders is vastly superior in terms of, well, everything.

Geez, now we've upped the ante! crap! That makes 8!

Now I got to make the obligitory "faceless victim" argument...

All you see are a couple of bodies being dragged, the cringe factor is...

ah screw it!

I'll get you next time!

EvilDevo

To be fair, the rocket sled roastees probably happen much later than ten minutes into the movie... but I'll still gladly accept the win :D

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
No, not everything, but if the violence in Indy4 was noticeably "toned down" in both your and my view compared to the original trilogy, how then can we disagree so vehemently on the "far removed" part? What it tells me is that we obviously disagree on how much Indy4 is toned down. To me, being noticeably toned down from the trilogy sets Indy4 apart in significant way, simply by virtue of the fact that it effectively excludes an element that every other installment in its franchise includes. That is irreconcilable with the idea that the violence is not far removed from the original trilogy. If you think that the final movie itself is not far removed from the trilogy despite the violence disparity, then that's different, but talking specifically about violence you seem to be occupying two sides of an argument, when you can only be on one.

Yawn… This is exactly what I mean by you creating arguments where no argument is required, and where you over analyze simply to bait and critize rather than to enlighten. Please remind me… What clasification/raiting are the Indiana Jones movies? Was KOTCS a U classification? Was TLC an 18??? Or are they broadly defined by a similar classification?
Think of it as a metric ruler broken up into inches, centimeters and millimeters. Violence wise, Indiana Jones falls within the 2nd quarter of that measuring device… and within that quarter, the violence can sit within an inch, centimeter or millimeter of each other. Ergo, the violence can be separated by various degrees, but they still sit within the same section of the measuring device.

In this world you inhabit where everything is so extreme/black and white and absolute, it’s difficult to hold an objective debate without it yet again becoming a pis*ing contest… on this specific point, or any of your previous.

I could go on point for point, but at this stage it seems largely unconstructive. Therefore I'll refrain. It's a real shame.

oki9Sedo

Crystal Skull is less violent than Last Crusade. Last Crusade was less violent than Temple of Doom. Temple of Doom was less violent than Raiders.

They got progressively less violent as they went along. However, they only got slightly less violent each time. They're all within the same range.

Insomniac

kongisking said:
**** us fans. We're a bunch of cruel, unappreciative bastards with no hearts. Our idols try to give back to the people that made their movies hits in the first place, and we reply with a big whopping F-YOU. We are mean, hurtful, unfair and have NO RIGHT to give judgement on a film like KOTCS or the Star Wars Prequels. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

But the saddest thing here is that everything I have typed here is just going to be ignored and ridiculed and teased, while you asswipes refuse to listen to reason and continue to drown in your hatred and condemn Spielberg and Lucas for the rest of your days without even thinking of just how mean you are being. A true fan would LOVE KOTCS and the Prequels, not strangle them to death!!!!!!!

Screw you all! I don't care if I'm permanently kicked out by the moderators. I will NOT just stand back and watch as this terrible unfairness continues. If no one will stand up for KOTCS, then I WILL UNTIL I DIE, DAMMIT!!!!!!

You guys disgust me. Rot in hell, you selfish monsters. :mad: :mad: :mad:
KONG IS KING!!!Hit the nail right on the head!:gun:

Jorbex

Okay, so I have not read through five pages of posts, but could someone tell me what this flame war has to do with the Jungle Cutter? :confused:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Jorbex said:
Okay, so I have not read through five pages of posts, but could someone tell me what this flame war has to do with the Jungle Cutter? :confused:

Which flame war? The discussions between Darth Vile and Udvarnoky are just about the best thing here these days. There's a lot in them that can be passed over, sure, but they're the deepest engagement we're seeing with anything about this films on the forums today.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Jorbex said:
Well, I guess this last few posts must not be representative of the whole then. My apologies.

To be fair, there have been others who have not, shall we say, been aspiring to the same level of discussion. You'd not be faulted, really, for thinking as you did, in some bits of this, I'd say.

emtiem

I was thinking of the jungle cutter again yesterday and thought a fun way to have used it might have been like this:
Indy's RPG blows up a truck near the cutter: a bit of wreckage from which kills the driver of the cutter. The cutter then goes out of control (shades of LC tank, admittedly!) and veers right into the jungle and disappears. The chase pretty much goes as in the film except that you could have, say, Indy's duck chasing Spalko's jeep with her possessing the skull, when suddenly the cutter appears from the right directly in front of Spalko. She hits the brakes so as to not be torn up by the driverless machine as it passes in front of her but Indy overtakes her, spins his duck around the front of her jeep, grabbing the skull as he goes, and then tears off down the new path the cutter has made. She could then head back down the path she's already driven down, knowing that the paths should meet again.
So all through the chase, as well as the occupants all switching vehicles and the skull hopping between all of them you could have an out of control cutter occasionally appearing and getting both parties into trouble. Plus it would mean that they could essentially be driving down paths not knowing where they go or what they link up with.

Then, instead of Mutt getting caught in the vines and being left behind: it's Indy. He's left dangling 20ft in the air as the vines snap him upwards, but he turns and sees the cutter heading straight for him! He pulls out a penknife and starts sawing through the vines as quickly as possible, and at the last minute he swings free out of the way of the blades! The return of the swing then lands him on the deck of the cutter: he moves up to the cabin and gives himself one of those Indy-can't-believe-his-own-luck half smiles! Cut to the cliff face where Marion, Mutt et al are being pushed to the edge by Spalko's jeep, when suddenly Indy comes tearing through the treeline in the cutter! He grinds up Spalko's jeep which jams the blades (after making raspberry jam of a couple of commies of course!): the Russians advance on Indy and a fight breaks out on the moving cutter with Mutt hopping aboard to give support- Marion's duck escapes.
Eventually the cutter runs down a steep slope and gets caught in some trees: the crash sending Indy, Mutt and the Russians flying and the mangled jeep into the ants nest. Dovchenko and Indy battle it out, their fight having to hop between various bit of high ground to avoid the ants, when finally the only bit of ground left available to them is under the spinning blades of the cutter, still caught on the slope in the trees by its back wheels! They swing it out some more as the cutter's weight brings it slowly down towards them- they try and force each other's faces into the blades etc. But then Indy is knocked down; he's lying on a log and Dovenchenko is holding him there as the blades are directly above him. Indy manages to kick free and rolls along the log just in time: the log is torn up by the cutter and the half Indy is lying on gets caught on the blade: pulled up around the blade into the air. Indy hangs from the log and lands a kick to Dovenchenko's face just before he is thrown into the air with the log by the force of the spinning blade! Dovenchenko is sent flying back into the other blade: his hand is torn off and he staggers, screaming, into the ants. They then envelope him and drag him away. Indy lands with a thump out of the way of the ants. He sees them swarming towards him however and looks around frantically for a way escape to no avail: just then Ox appears and unveils the skull; using its powers to divert them. They turn around and see the cutter getting covered in ants and dragged down underneath the ground into their nest.

What do you reckon? :)

Dark Horse

I really think more Jungle cutter scenes were omitted due to the gorey implications. There just seems like too much effort was originally put into the vehicle for it to be destroyed so quickly in the film. If you look at the toy (or detail pics) There are extra roller crushers on the top at the front (very similar to the rock crusher in ToD). I'm pretty sure their inclusion was not just coincidence (Ed Natividad who designed it has a major in transportation design and illustration), and that someone (Dovchenko) was supposed to die a-la Pat Roach in ToD. In the DK ultimate Indy book, it also notes the JC had heightened smoke stacks, leading folks to believe it was supposed to have some sort of aqautic ability. :confused:

More JC scenes would have been awesome, IMO. I can't see all those Russians getting thrown in there and body parts and blood flying everywhere like the wiki article says, but one or two well shot fatalities would have been good. Seeing someone get run over under the JC treads would have been quite good as well.

Anyway, I'm still pleased we got a Jungle Cutter toy. It's a perfect rendition, and they got a lot of toy into the box for the money. :D

Col. Detritch

Wow, that was a good long read!:D
I must say I would have to agree with Insomniac and konisking people have been beating on KoTCS for way to long, I mean these people take the time to construct a film of this grandture, for the fans may I add, for what to have it shredded up by blood thirsty fanboys, like you could do any better!

Anyway I thought that 'alternitive' scene was awsome, though I like the final cut as well it could have had more Jungle cutter action.

I would have had it go a bit like this:
Indy climbs into the back and finds the RPG and fires it at the Cutter, but unlike the Raiders style 'quick fix' with the swords man, Indy misses in true Temple of Doom fashion (unable to shoot the Thuggee he must engage him in a duel). Indy and the gang climb into the next duck and speed off after the cutter. Indy climbs aboard and knocks the driver to the floor. Meanwhile Dovchenko awakens and head after Indy. Marion and Mutt come up alongside Irina, who also happens to have Mac and Ox in the same jeep. Mutt, having picked up a sword lunges at Irina and engages her in a duel. Mutt continues to duel until he gains a chance to steal the skull, he does so with gusto. Marion attempts to veer off but is tailed by Irina. Back on the Jungle cutter Indy fends off the driver as he turns for Irina. The driver begins to chock Indy; he gets up and flicks his head back hitting the driver. Indy trows him forwards towards the blades. The driver maintains balance. Indy raises his fist again to strike again when a stray branch hits the drive sending him into the window and then back over the edge into the blades. The blood sprays up onto the windshield. Indy knocks out the window and continues to follow Irina. Back with Mutt, he continues to duel Irina when Indy comes up behind them. This distracts Irina Mutt pushes her onto their duck. Marion jumps cars, punches the driver out and takes control. Irina is left to control her own duck. One of Dovchenko's men climbs aboard the cutter and clambers for control. Indy engages him in a small fist fight. After this 'fight' Indy elbows the soldier to the floor and gets to the controls. There he turns off the blades and turns for the biggest tree he can see. With that Indy makes a leap over to Marion's jeep and we cut to the helpless Russian screaming as he hits the tree and explodes. Indy the grabs Mac and threatens to push him off, then we get the CIA stuff. Then we cut to the final part of the chase on the cliffs edge and into the Ants sequence as such!:gun:

Col. Detritch

On a side note from the Cutter for a second, am I the only one to notice that Mac waits for the soldier to pass the skull to Irina then punches him? This is either a cut in scene and just a little blooper like all movies have or a clever set up for Mac's final betral!:hat: