Customizing Indy Figures

inky_skin

Luke Sprywalker said:
DSC_0011-3.jpg
That is AMAZING.

Kevin said:
Is the head from this figure designed with a socket to fit on a ball-topped neck, or did you have to dremel it out?
It has a socket, but you need to either open it up, or reduce the size of the ball.

Short Rounded said:
Wow! Where did you get the head for the melting Toht? Great Job!!!!!!!(y)
It's cast from an Army of Darkness Deadite warrior.

Lance Quazar said:
It began its life as Toht and was always meant to be Toht. :D
It shall forever be known as "The Unreleased Toht Figure that Lance scored me" ;)

Luke Sprywalker

Inky - thanks man. I also love your Toht figure, I have been trying to get that cobra figure for a decent price for a while now. I do agree if you shorten the figure a bit it would be perfect.

Lambonius - the Willie lower arms would be great but I hate the bent pointed finger and a spare set of those would be very pricey.

This figure is made from a generic female from good will 35 cents.
GC female figure for the arms and dk blue cloth.
Agen Kolar head trimmed and sanded a lot with monkey man turbin and hair.
Anakin EP1 shoes.

Then I dug through my wife's christmas wrapping paper junk and found the perfect gold ball things, the skirt is layers of 2 gold leaves cut up and the necklace is a gold stretchy string like material. I tried 2 times to make the skull head piece/knife removable but failed. So the head piece is attached to the turbin and I made the knife and doll to go with him just need some new pics.

JTKenobi

quick glue question

I tore away the 'peg' somewhat on the end of a German soldiers upper calve when removing his boot. Now I want to glue it a bit to keep it from tearing off all the way....basically just strengthen it. I was going to pick up just standard 'super glue' when I noticed it said it's good for 'MOST' plastics. That made me think...what do you guys use when gluing/repairing our little plastic men?

Lance Quazar

featofstrength said:
I know its been done and done well, but here's my "I-Didn't-Kill-My-Wife" Indiana Jones
n34314617_36335908_1073267.jpg

n34314617_36335911_2530560.jpg

"Our fugitive's name is Dr...Jones!"

Wow. I have seen at least a handful of MOTB Indy customs in the past year and, while there are some great ones out there, this is by far my favorite.

No disrespect to the other awesome customizers, but this looks sensational!!!

Well done!!! I love it!

Errex

JTKenobi said:
I tore away the 'peg' somewhat on the end of a German soldiers upper calve when removing his boot. Now I want to glue it a bit to keep it from tearing off all the way....basically just strengthen it. I was going to pick up just standard 'super glue' when I noticed it said it's good for 'MOST' plastics. That made me think...what do you guys use when gluing/repairing our little plastic men?

Well, for rigid plastics like styrenes I use modeling cement; for parts that are not meant to be flexed I do use superglue. For more rubbery plastics I use Industrial Strenght UHU.

Some plastics like nylon and propylene (think the material the shoulder, knee or elbows joints are made of) are just too smooth or inert to support strong unions using only glue, so I pin the parts using a small drill and either plastic or metal rods for pegs.

In the case of your german soldier, I'd cut the peg, drill a hole and replace the peg with a piece of styrene. Melting the end of the peg a little would provide a wider section that could be sanded to form a plug for the boot, to prevent it from falling off.

inky_skin

Errex said:
Well, for rigid plastics like styrenes I use modeling cement; for parts that are not meant to be flexed I do use superglue. For more rubbery plastics I use Industrial Strenght UHU.

Some plastics like nylon and propylene (think the material the shoulder, knee or elbows joints are made of) are just too smooth or inert to support strong unions using only glue, so I pin the parts using a small drill and either plastic or metal rods for pegs.

In the case of your german soldier, I'd cut the peg, drill a hole and replace the peg with a piece of styrene. Melting the end of the peg a little would provide a wider section that could be sanded to form a plug for the boot, to prevent it from falling off.

I'd back Errex 100% on this one (great primer for budding customisers Errex). Maybe we should all list out our tried and tested customising materials ?

Goonie

Short Rounded said:
no. the big crystal skull behind the relic.

Looks like it was the one pacakged with the DVD at Best Buy. I missed that offer because we don't have a Best Buy around here.

Luke Sprywalker

I have been on a TOD run lately and wanted to improve on this generic playset. So today I came up with this...

DSC_0001-6.jpg

It is still a WIP, I have to add the slots for the stones plus a few other goodies.

Lance Quazar

I think if you paint the white walls and the skull piece the same color, you'll have something VERY cool.

The walls look awesome. How did you make them?

Goonie said:
Looks like it was the one pacakged with the DVD at Best Buy. I missed that offer because we don't have a Best Buy around here.

yep, it's the Best Buy DVD set...I bought it just for the skull because I bought the blu-ray from Target with the book packaging...blu ray buyers get the shaft anymore, you are lucky to get any freebies, but the added benefit of paying more (and the awesome HD....but hey, I like cool freebies!)

Luke Sprywalker

Lance- Oh yea and here is an update.

The walls and idol were carved out of sheet styrofoam that was screwed and glued together to make the thicker areas. Then it was covered in 2 thin layers of plaster.I painted it and sealed it but it had a few areas that the plaster wasn't thick enough I guess and the sealer ate a hole into the styrofoam. So I have patched it up with some fix it. Now I have to make the 5 slots meant to hold all the stones, touch up paint, thinking about a darker wash but not sure as I don't want to mess it up now. I think it is fairly accurate there is just a lot of light in these photos. Then make the base and add the candles all over. Oh yea also deciding if I should sculpt better details inside or just give it a few dark washes over the tan. Any ideas or critique would be great.

I think I am done with the Maharadja and put together a new Indy for this scene. I have to repaint him and add the chains. I am having trouble with photobucket so this is the only pic for now.

DSC_0001-7.jpg