Rest In Peace, [Insert Name Here]

Dr. Gonzo

I just got off the phone with some folks close to The Doors camp. It is indeed true. I'm actually sincerely devastated.

Stoo

R.I.P. Ray Manzarek

I feel for you, Dr. Gonzo, but be thankful that you were able to meet Ray in his lifetime. Losing an idol is something I can empathize with (John Entwistle died in 2002 but I met him a few times in the '90s). Cherish those memories and he will live forever...along with his music.

---
In other news:
Nobody mentioned it before but Richie Havens passed away last month on April 22nd, 2013.:( He was great and his performance of "Handsome Johnny" at Woodstock was a major influence on me.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rev. Greeley

I wish I knew more of this man (and a part of me thinks I already should)...are there any who frequent here who know and can insightfully comment more of the life of Andrew? Or is this story just Chicagoland self-importance?

Paden

Greeley was an accomplished novelist. He wrote a series of mysteries involving Blackie Ryan, a Catholic Priest. I read a few of them many years ago and as I recall they were quite good. I lost track of the series after that, though I think Ryan ultimately goes on to become an Archbishop.

I believe Greeley also wrote novels outside of the mystery genre as well as some non-fiction, but I've never been exposed to his other writings.

RIP, Rev. Greeley.

WilliamBoyd8

Esther Williams, RIP

Esther Williams, whose success as a competitive swimmer propelled her to stardom on the silver screen in the 1940s and 1950s, died Thursday in California, her spokesman said Thursday.

She was 91.

Montana Smith

Forbidden Eye said:

It was a shock to wake up and read this today, especially considering I only began watching The Sopranos for the first time over the last couple of weeks.

Gandolfini's acting was infectious. I'm almost through Season 5 now and every now and then I find myself subconsciously emulating one of Tony's mannerisms.

To die at only 51, and in the 'old country'. You couldn't make it up.

Slim Whitman

Thanks for saving the world!
f60783pvu4v.jpg

WilliamBoyd8

'I Am Legend' writer Richard Matheson dies at 87

Richard Matheson, an American science-fiction writer best known for his novel "I Am Legend," died June 23 at age 87. During a career that spanned more than 60 years, Matheson wrote more than 25 novels and nearly 100 short stories, plus screenplays for TV and film.

Matheson was a major contributor to Rod Serling's classic TV series "The Twilight Zone," penning more than a dozen scripts from 1959 to 1964, including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." He also wrote for "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" and was the creative force behind the classic "Star Trek" episode "The Enemy Within".

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/showbiz/richard-matheson-death/index.html

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dennis Farina - (loved him in Crime Story)
400px-CrimeS_19.jpg

And to the chagrin of the Oval Office (only because of her doggedness, not her person)...Helen Thomas
helen-thomas.jpg

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Dennis Farina - (loved him in Crime Story)
400px-CrimeS_19.jpg

I loved him in Out of Sight. There's a great scene in that film where everyone Farina (as the protective dad), J-Lo (looking goood in a Dan Marino cut-off) and Michael Keaton (playing completely over-the-top) is hitting on all cylinders. That scene and contributions from performances from people like Farina really elevated that film.

Pale Horse said:
And to the chagrin of the Oval Office (only because of her doggedness, not her person)...Helen Thomas
helen-thomas.jpg

As a kid, I'd dutifully watch the white house press conferences and I'd watch Reagan dutifully take her question. During those years, I more than once thought old Ron is going to outlive this old gal -- boy was I wrong.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Fans of Murder By Death may want to pause and mark the passing of Eileen Brennan.

I was thinking about this. Out of perhaps one of the greatest casts ever assembled, only three are still alive now - Maggie Smith, James Cromwell, and Richard Nartia.

Crazy. I also feel this is one of the most under watched, rated, quoted comedies of all times. If you have read any of the major mystery novels of post WWII this move is q great classy send up.

WilliamBoyd8

Michael Ansara, a television and movie actor whose roles included a
Klingon on "Star Trek," has died.

He was once married to Barbara Eden.

Indy's brother

Lisa Robin Kelly

She played Laurie Forman on That Seventies Show. She died of cardiac arrest in a rehab clinic. She was 43 years old.

0815-lisa-robin-kelly-getty2-3.jpg

Lisa Robin Kelly -- who played Eric Forman's older sister on "That '70s Show" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

The 43-year-old actress passed away in her sleep Wednesday night at a rehab facility in California.

We spoke with Kelly's agent who tells us the actress had just voluntarily checked herself in for treatment for an alcohol problem this past week ... and was determined to clean herself up.

The agent tells us, "She had been fighting demons for a while and finally lost her battle."

Sources tell us Lisa had been in and out of rehab centers hoping to kick her alcohol problem ... and most recently fell off the wagon after a huge dispute with her estranged husband Robert Gilliam.

Sources say ... Kelly's estranged husband beat her last May to obtain residual money from her show. He was convicted of domestic battery last month and sentenced to 3 years probation. He also served 35 days in jail for the beating.

Lisa filed for divorce from Gilliam back in July.

We're told Lisa's new boyfriend brought her to rehab again on Monday ... but she went into cardiac arrest late Wednesday night and could not be saved.

The boyfriend blames her estranged husband for the relapse.

Sources connected with the attempted rescue tell TMZ ... when emergency responders arrived at the rehab facility, they found needle marks on both of Lisa's arms.

However, her BF tells us the reason for the needle marks is that he took Lisa to a hospital on Sunday -- because she had a .34 blood alcohol level ... and nurses made multiple attempts to insert a needle into her vein to extract blood.

After several attempts, medical personnel were able to use a vein on the top of Lisa's wrist.

Kelly had been troubled for the past couple of years -- she was arrested at least 4 times in the past 3 years for DUI, spousal abuse and assault.

Source

indyclone25

Lee Thompson Young -- who played the main character on Disney's "The Famous Jett Jackson" -- has died after what officials believe is a suicide ... TMZ has learned. He was 29.

Sources tell us Young's body was discovered with a gunshot wound that appears to be self-inflicted.

Young currently appears in the TNT show "Rizzoli & Isles" -- and we're told when he didn't show up to work this morning, staffers called the landlord of Young's L.A. home to check up on the actor.

We're told ... when the landlord opened the door, he discovered Young's body.

kongisking

The Drifter said:
Rest in peace to my wife's grandmother.

I'm very sorry to hear that. My sympathies to you and yours, Drifter...

I presume any Minnesotans on here heard about the tragic death of Vikings player Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son?

I'm not a big sports fan, and don't know much about Peterson, but nevertheless, the killing of a child is never, ever, ever something to not be mourned.

Interesting article on the matter here:

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-death-doesnt-make-adrian-peterson-a-great-person/