The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Hey, Kids!!

Tired of having to move your eyes to follow the words in comics, or even, eek! Turn a page! Then this is the answer to your lazy arse dreams...

...WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mRZ132bwhOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

harvey

JuniorJones said:
Hey, Kids!!

Tired of having to move your eyes to follow the words in comics, or even, eek! Turn a page! Then this is the answer to your lazy arse dreams...

...WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mRZ132bwhOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL. Classic stuff. Great find.

Love the dog waggin' its tail at the beginning.

And...I THINK I detect a Pittsburgh accent there... ;)

Stoo

harvey said:
Just recorded an interview with Further Adventures #3 co-penciller, Richard Howell! We talk Marvel, Gene Day, Gatling guns, vampires, the Flannelled One, Crystal Skull, and more! Stay tuned to the IndyCast for comic booky goodness!
I've been catching up on all the IndyCasts that I missed over the summer and just listened to #134 with the Richard Howell interview. He said that the cannon in issue #3 was changed from the original idea of a Gatling gun because he told Denny O'Neil that the Gatling hadn't been invented until 13 years after 1936. What???:confused:

The Gatling was invented during the American Civil War in the early 1860s. It was used succesfully at the final battle of the 2nd Anglo/Zulu War in 1879 (and not-so-succesfully in the Canadian NorthWest Rebellion in 1885), the Spanish-American War in 1898, etc.

---
Have you & Keith done a segment for issue #4 yet? If not, here's an anachronism & mistake for you guys. After Indy & Karen Mays escape from the subway tunnel, Karen compliments Indy on his quick thinking, to which he replies:

"Thanks, but Montreal should get the credit! I worked a dig there a few years back. A subway construction crew had uncovered a Seneca Indian burial ground. I learned a lot about Senecas. AND subways!"

1) There was no subway construction in Montreal back in the early '30s because the digging only started in 1962 (in prepartion for the 1967 World Expo).
2) The Metro digs yielded hoardes of First Nations artifacts but the Senecas were too far west to be in the Montreal area.

If your #4 segment hasn't been recorded yet, this might be worth mentioning (for fun, of course)!:)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
I've been catching up on all the IndyCasts that I missed over the summer and just listened to #134 with the Richard Howell interview. He said that the cannon in issue #3 was changed from the original idea of a Gatling gun because he told Denny O'Neil that the Gatling hadn't been invented until 13 years after 1936. What???:confused:

It's as though he'd never watched a western!

Stoo said:
After Indy & Karen Mays escape from the subway tunnel, Karen compliments Indy on his quick thinking, to which he replies:

"Thanks, but Montreal should get the credit! I worked a dig there a few years back. A subway construction crew had uncovered a Seneca Indian burial ground. I learned a lot about Senecas. AND subways!"

1) There was no subway construction in Montreal back in the early '30s because the digging only started in 1962 (in prepartion for the 1967 World Expo).
2) The Metro digs yielded hoardes of First Nations artifacts but the Senecas were too far west to be in the Montreal area.

You can't beat a bit of inside knowledge. ;)

It must have been on those 'Rugged Men' moments, in which adventure comes first, and logic follows on behind if it can find the way. :whip:

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
It's as though he'd never watched a western!
Western films aside...it's just so ignorant, I don't know what to say. A predecessor of the automatic machine gun was invented in 1949?!?:rolleyes: One lesson to be learned from this is that too many comic books are bad for the brain.:p
Montana Smith said:
You can't beat a bit of inside knowledge. ;)
Heh, in the early '90s, my then-girlfriend's father set me straight about when the Metro was built. He was talking from life experience while I was referring to an Indiana Jones comic!:eek: Embarrassing? Yes.:eek:

harvey

Further Adventures 3

Thanks for the info., Stoo! Will definitely be working that into future segments. And trust us, you haven't heard the last of the issue #3 gun/cannon discussion. :gun:

Denny himself weighs in on the next episode in your queue. Our guess is that Richard said Gatling gun, but might have meant something else. We ARE going back a quarter of a century and both admitted to not remembering much about the issue. That said, in doing a little more digging, it looks like there was an externally powered Gatling invented closer to the time Richard mentioned (the minigun, perhaps??). Regardless...it all goes out the window when you see what Indy is trying to accomplish with it. Keith and I chat about it in the latest segment and we're hoping more comments come in on what the heck that cannon IS! :D

Keep the info comin!!

Montana Smith

harvey said:
That said, in doing a little more digging, it looks like there was an externally powered Gatling invented closer to the time Richard mentioned (the minigun, perhaps??).

The General Electric Company M61 Vulcan, which was first fired as a prototype in 1949.

Maybe we should let him off, or give him a slap for choosing his words poorly!

Montana Smith said:
No, it's literature... with pictures! ;)
I stand corrected!

ClassicsIllustrated2008.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Well, seeing that you insist!!

The Further Adventures is back in publication...well, kind of...in the form of a retrospective in Back Issue Magazine issue 55 from the excellent Twomorrow Publishing.

Here's a 3 page preview...

BI.jpg

FA1.jpg

fa2.jpg

fa3.jpg

Surprise!!!

Somewhat of a newsworthy item...unless there's Whitney update...

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIwwwwwwwiiiiiiillllllllllllllllAAALllllWaysLOvvvvvvvvvvveeyoooooooou, INNNNNNNNNNDDDDDY.....(wrabbles on)