What are KOTCS's best action scenes?

Cole

So then Mutt having trouble swinging on the vines would suddenly make it more acceptable to you.

Whatever....

Cole said:
So then Mutt having trouble swinging on the vines would suddenly make it more acceptable to you. Whatever....

Uh, whatever...

Good one!

Not suddenly, but yeah, there was no exertion, no effort, it was REALLY fake and poorly executed.

A shame really...like going over the water fall 3 times! Phew! THAT was exciting!

Was Indy even SORE ONCE in the movie? It's like Derek Jeter winning a Glod Glove AFTER 11 years in the league...a joke.

Maybe if they had invested some time into making it something more substantial it might have had some impact.

Cole said:
Yep. They didn't try and put no effort into it. That's exactly it....

About as much effort as you put into that reply...
Shame really.

I have to laugh because I spoke with an extra on the Marshal College set and he said that Spielberg showed up looked at the blocking and then disappeared. BIG difference from his involvement in Raiders and it shows.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
About as much effort as you put into that reply...
Shame really.

I have to laugh because I spoke with an extra on the Marshal College set and he said that Spielberg showed up looked at the blocking and then disappeared. BIG difference from his involvement in Raiders and it shows.

"Blocking" as in setting a scene/shot up? That's not unique to Spielberg right? I'm not even sure it's unique to KOTCS within the Indiana Jones movies.

cole said:
Then it seems like you would have a problem with Indiana Jones - a professor and archeologist - who can do outlandish stunts like dragging himself underneath a car travelling 50+ mph and managing to get back to the driver's seat.

Kinda makes swinging on vines look like a cakewalk.

In any event, these are movies based on the action-adventure serials of the 30's and 40's where these kind of stunts are commonplace. It's exciting. It requires some sort of suspension of belief. If you can't grasp this concept, I can't do it for you.

It's not that the concept of Mutt's jungle vine swing is bad... I think it's more the fact that it's realized with blue/green screen and some CGI (and I like KOTCS). Ultimately, the more you use effects, the less sensation of reality is experienced. Now in principle, Indy and Mutt's vine swing are identical... But to me, only one of them looks real.

This use of effects to achieve something once done on set, is not something unique to KOTCS... and for the most part I think the visual/special effects in KOTCS are well conceived and executed. But that particular element i.e. Mutt the vine and the monkeys, IMHO, is not too convincing.

Darth Vile said:
"Blocking" as in setting a scene/shot up? That's not unique to Spielberg right? I'm not even sure it's unique to KOTCS within the Indiana Jones movies.

My point, which it's meant to support, is the level of effort put forth vs that in Raiders. A comparison Cole is hell bent for leather over, (in his gross over simplifications of my opinions).

Cole

Rocket Surgeon said:
My point, which it's meant to support, is the level of effort put forth vs that in Raiders. A comparison Cole is hell bent for leather over, (in his gross over simplifications of my opinions).
So you know how much effort went into the making of 'Raiders' and how much went into 'Crystal Skull?'

Were you working with Mr. Spielberg? That mustv'e been a helluva experience.

Cole said:
So you know how much effort went into the making of 'Raiders' and how much went into 'Crystal Skull?' Were you working with Mr. Spielberg? That mustv'e been a helluva experience.
Ah, you don't dissappoint.

I admit it, yes, I was.

Really though it doesn't take a Brain Scientist to pick up a book and read it.
Avail yourself of The Raider.nets expansive content...it's a good start. Read a book, maybe two and you'll see. It's rather apparent...

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:

So I'd agree that, as Raiders was the first and Spielberg considerably younger, that he probably had more hands on involvement with everything, and more disposable energy/enthusiasm than he did with KOTCS (he was 30 years younger after all). However, I would just be wary of the presumption that there was a lack of effort in KOTCS simply because there was more on Raiders.

Darth Vile said:
So I'd agree that, as Raiders was the first and Spielberg considerably younger, that he probably had more hands on involvement with everything, and more disposable energy/enthusiasm than he did with KOTCS (he was 30 years younger after all). However, I would just be wary of the presumption that there was a lack of effort in KOTCS simply because there was more on Raiders.

Two things.

One:The effort point is all about motivation.

He was directing for his life on Raiders. Trying to disprove the general perception that he was a budget black hole.

Whatever percentage old age had, experience, etc...as he says in the extras, he's done! He's moved on! doing this one for the fans. He phoned it in.

Two: You should be wary if you're reading this as lack of effort in KOTCS simply because there was more on Raiders.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
Two things.

One:The effort point is all about motivation.

He was directing for his life on Raiders. Trying to disprove the general perception that he was a budget black hole.

Whatever percentage old age had, experience, etc...as he says in the extras, he's done! He's moved on! doing this one for the fans. He phoned it in.

Two: You should be wary if you're reading this as lack of effort in KOTCS simply because there was more on Raiders.

I see little evidence to suggest Spielberg "phoned it in". Therfore, I can only assume that the presumption is made on spurious hearsay, or simply because one equates different drivers/motivations to lack of effort.

For all I know, Spielberg may be sat at home laughing his c*ck off and counting his cash, but all I'm saying is I don't see any tangible evidence to support the claim that... 1) He didn't care. 2) He lost the plot. 3) He made no effort.

Darth Vile said:
I see little evidence to suggest Spielberg "phoned it in".
...ah but you see some, so it's a start.

Darth Vile said:
For all I know, Spielberg may be sat at home laughing his c*ck off and counting his cash, but all I'm saying is I don't see any tangible evidence to support the claim that... 1) He didn't care. 2) He lost the plot. 3) He made no effort.

1) He didn't care. We'll get back to that one.
2) He lost the plot. Huh? Lost the plot?
3) He made no effort. Please see above, re: seeing evidence regarding phoning it in.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
...ah but you see some, so it's a start.

Evidence as in (to paraphrase), "a mate of mine was on set, and he said that Spielberg put no effort in". Being very generous, one could call it evidence, but I don't think it would hold up in a court of law. ;)

Darth Vile said:
Evidence as in (to paraphrase), "a mate of mine was on set, and he said that Spielberg put no effort in". Being very generous, one could call it evidence, but I don't think it would hold up in a court of law. ;)

No doubt, it's inadmissable, but I read your "see little evidence" as proof of your own.

and as far as paraphrasing that's as loose as Cole's screws about now.;)

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
No doubt, it's inadmissable, but I read your "see little evidence" as proof of your own.
Not really... I believe KOTCS is somewhat weaker than Raiders and TLC. That could theoretically have something to do with lack of effort (which I of course must not discount)... but that would be a conclusion based on little information other than ones opinion of the movie (IMHO).

Rocket Surgeon said:
and as far as paraphrasing that's as loose as Cole's screws about now.;)
The botton line, as I read it, was that you knew someone on set who had observed something, which he/you took to be lack of effort on Spielbergs part? If that isn't the case.... then of course I would apologize. ;)

Darth Vile said:
Not really...
Let me express myself better. When you wrote I see little evidence I read that as you DO see evidence, just not the points I've proposed.
Darth Vile said:
I believe KOTCS is somewhat weaker than Raiders and TLC. That could theoretically have something to do with lack of effort (which I of course must not discount)... but that would be a conclusion based on little information other than ones opinion of the movie (IMHO).
...and there lies the starting point for the discussion.

Darth Vile said:
The botton line, as I read it, was that you knew someone on set who had observed something, which he/you took to be lack of effort on Spielbergs part?
Exactly! This guy was an extra on set and his anecdote is his own. We had a great conversation and it wasn't proposed to belittle Spielberg. It was surprise that he was not present during the filming of the sequence. (please don't start to explain 2nd unit shooting). But he was there, checked the setups, and left. Hell he did that in Hawaii at the end of filming Raiders too, but I won't go into the voluminous differences.

Darth Vile said:
If that isn't the case.... then of course I would apologize. ;)

Please, try not to take this so seriously! (I did notice your wink):hat:

MaverickKing

The ant fight was the best. A throwback to the mano-a-mano punch-ups from Raiders and Temple. Arguably the only scene in the movie worth the price of admission (outside the Indy/Marion banter).

DocWhiskey

Yeah, you don't really see simple bare knuckled fist fights in today's cinema. "Good" fights today involve a lot of wire work and CGI, which is fine, but seeing a 66 year old Ford beat the hell out of a commie with his bare fists surrounded by man eating ants was quite cool.

MaverickKing

It's that kind of visceral, brutal action that we got with Die Hard, arguably what made it popular. I'd like to see more of it.