Should Martian Colonies be eligible to compete in the FIFA World Cup?

Should Martian Colonies be eligible to compete in the FIFA World Cup?

• Yes, Martian colonies are eligible to play in the World Cup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but all Martian colonies will be combined into a single 'Mars' Team

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes, but the world cup should be renamed the Inter-Planetary Cup

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, but colonists may play for their earth country if they choose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, mars should have it?s own global championship

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other (Please Explain Below)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

00Kevin

Indyfan
As NASA continues to explore the Universe, it is inevitable that earth will one day have permanent settlements (colonies/states/nations) on the nearby planet of Mars. Now we need to be prepared before this time comes and know exactly what policies FIFA will implement at that time. Keep in mind that if future colonies are founded on other planets, they too will be subjected to these regulations. Your decision will decide the future of The Universal Game, so think long and hard before you cast your vote.

Football (or Soccer if you are from U. S. and A.) will become a very popular sport among the colonies, an entire culture of mars will almost be built upon the sport, which has had a significantly greater amount of success in 'crossing over' as opposed to (then-outdated) competitive sports such as Baseball, Basketball, American Gridiron Football, Hockey, Volleyball and Tiddlywinks.

Some believe that the original world cup is like a sacred chalice, which should not be touch or altered from its long standing tradition, stretching back thousands of years to 1930.

Other however, believe that the world cup was always meant to be the ultimate and indisputable championship of professional soccer, excluding a people from it, or inventing another larger tournament would diminish the stature of the world cup forever.

After much debate, several options were suggested and explored:

Yes, Martian colonies are eligible to play in the World Cup
Alongside the 6 active confederations of earth, the MFC (Martian Football Confederation) is established, which governs Football on mars. All colonies that wish to participate in the FIFA World Cup must also be members of the MFC and enter Martian Qualifying to determine which Martian Entities will be represented in the finals.

Yes, but all Martian colonies will be combined into a single 'Mars' Team
The AMF (Association of Martian Football) is set up as a single entity; all Martian colonists will be eligible to play for this team and this team only in the world cup. Mars will not be given an automatic spot in the world cup, but will instead have to qualify via the Oceania spot (because even in the future, Oceania is still a phony conference with teams that never qualify anyways)

Yes, but the world cup should be renamed the Inter-Planetary Cup (and a separate earth cup and mars cup also are created)
The lineage of the world cup is retained by the Inter-Planetary Cup and entities from earth and mars both compete in it equally. Therefore the record books will clearly state facts such as that in 1930 Uruguay officially became the first Galactic Champions, in 2002 Brazil became Galactic Champions for the 5th time and that the United States were the Galactic Champions 11 times in the 21st century.
Meanwhile, All earth nations also compete in the new 'Earth Cup' and Martians have a 'Mars Cup' which are equivalent to present day tournaments such as The European Championships, Copa America, The African Cup of nations and so on. The Earth championship is not named World Cup firstly to distinguish it from the prior world cup and to be what is considered politically correct at the time. Obvious, all world cup winners from 1930 until the renaming will be considered de-facto Earth Cup Champions, while mars never had an official champions before that time.

No, but colonists may play for their earth country if they choose
Currently France has what they call 'overseas departments' such a Guadelupe in the Caribbean. Now Guadelupe is a member of Concacaf and is eligible to play in regional tournaments such as the gold cup. However, Guadelupe is not eligible to participate in the world cup and its citizens must instead play for the French National Team. Famous Guadelupians like Lilian Thuram and Marius Trésor have played for France in the World Cup.
Likewise, no Martian Colony is eligible to send a team to the world cup, but all colonialists on mars are eligible to play for the nation whose colony they belong. For Example, anyone from a colony founded by NASA is eligible to play for the United States of America in the World Cup.

No, mars should have it?s own global championship
And there are some who believe that the sacred lineage of the World Cup must go untouched, that football on Earth and Mars should be kept separate from each other. No Martian may play in the World Cup. PERIOD!
However, Mars will receive its own Global Championship called The Mars Cup; Football on Mars is governed by the Federation of Martian Football, which is a separate (and rival) entity to FIFA. Winners of The FIFA World Cup and The FMF Mars Cup may choose to meet to determine the unofficial galactic champion.

Other
Other Avenues should be explored; do you have a proposition for the Issue of Marian Football? Please submit your report below. It must be double-spaced, between 7000 and 8970 words and be notarized by either an Earthling or Martian Notary Public. All submissions which have been notarized on the Moon or the international Space Station will be disregarded.

Gear

Ha,

In retail, FIFO is the name of an anti-mascot; a dog wearing a bandanna with the words "First In-First Out". It's to stop shoplifting.

I think everyone, no matter from what corner of the universe, should be allowed to play against FIFO in the Inter-Planetary Cup and steal as many Nirvana albums as they can from Target for the glory of their home country/planet. Wal Mart lifts should be worth more points, because there's less a chance of obtaining good quality merchandise.

Dr Bones

00Kevin said:
A

and that the United States were the Galactic Champions 11 times in the 21st century.

Blind optimism....now that's a soccer fan!.

Hmm, the playes would have to come from at leats 2 geneations of Martian colonists to qulaify as Martian?

Then there's the fact it's the world cup as in Earth, not the solar system or galaxy cup.

Plus I assume Mars will have different gravitational effects on the players from Mars therefore they may be significantly advantaged or disadvantaged depending on the location of the fixture.

Mars wold eventually have several colonies who will create their own independent Martian nations and teams and they could then play Earth's nations much in the same way as the Chamopions League.

Now.....get thes people air! ;)

Meerkat

They should have their own global cup. Because it takes, what, 9 months to get from Earth to Mars, and by the time the Martian teams arrive, they'll be out of practice.:rolleyes:
Even though they'd probably be ready to play again within a week of practice, I can see a bunch of other planets being colonized, and included in the Intergalactic Cup, which would eventually turn into the mother of all headaches.
And that's just soccer. There's also basketball, swimming, gymnastics, volleyball, etc. So yeah.

monkey

I say YES!

Martian colonies should definitely be allowed to compete!

I hope I live long enough to see it!

Stoo

00Kevin said:
Football (or Soccer if you are from U. S. and A.)
It's called soccer in Canada, too.;) Anyway, Mars has lower gravity than Earth and this would change the whole dynamic of the game.

monkey

Realistically, how long do you think it will be before we actually see real Martian colonies?

Or maybe a precursor to that question: WILL we ever see Martian colonies?

Will there be a reason for man to settle on Mars?

I sure hope so.

I hope that there will be enough of an economic incentive to make man want to settle on Mars.

Do you think we will ever be able to Terra-form Mars? I.E. do you think we will ever be able to create an atmosphere, etc.?

Dr Bones

monkey said:
Realistically, how long do you think it will be before we actually see real Martian colonies?

Or maybe a precursor to that question: WILL we ever see Martian colonies?

Will there be a reason for man to settle on Mars?

I sure hope so.

I hope that there will be enough of an economic incentive to make man want to settle on Mars.

Do you think we will ever be able to Terra-form Mars? I.E. do you think we will ever be able to create an atmosphere, etc.?

You hope there would be reason to settle on Mars? Do you mean you hope it's a great place to live in it's own right or do you hope that things get so bad on Earth there's an exodus to Mars? ;)

The only reasons to do so out of necessity are major catastrophe on earth of some kind or over popluation.

This is not my theory but I was listening to some weird but highly qualified scientist theorising on the advances of tech that will in a very short time (3 or 4 decades) mean we humans may halt and reverse all illness and even age. We may be forever young and rapidly increasing tech may keep us that way.

We have drastically improved life expectancy over the last 2 centuries as a result of reduced child mortality and death during child birth.

That said, people worry about population now that we are living longer.

Some theorise it will explode, but if you look at the evidence, the popluation boom as a result of reducing child and birthing fatalities has slowed. it was a spike. Fertility is now reducing and we are choosing to have less or no offspring as there is less presure to reproduce but more pressure to seek individual success rather than a traditional family unit.

If we achieve virtual immortality on Earth, less of us may feel the need to reproduce as we have no need to carry on our genes.

There is apparently more than enough space in Texas to house every human on Earth and we know there is enough food and resources should we orgainise ourselves and start proper distribution.

That leaves major catastrophe....such things as nuclear war or deadly pandemic virus would probably wipe us out before we got on our rocket ships.

If Earth was dying Mars could be an back up but wouldn't it be easier to fix earth than terraform Mars?

Therefore I think there is potentially no real reason to colonise Mars other than for the pure adventure and isn't that the best reason?

Then again a few decades ago they thought we'd all have hover cars by now and be living or vacationing on the moon. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

monkey

Great post Dr. Bones!

Very interesting thoughts on this subject.

Gave me a whole new perspective on it.

Yes, I think that Adventure alone might be the main incentive to colonizing Mars.

But who knows what we might discover there?

And shouldn't we try to colonize Mars if for no other reason than to have a backup planet?

Dr Bones

Adventure it is then but heck, I'd go just so I could say "get your ass to Mars" and when at spaceport check in, grin insanley repeating "Two weeks!" :hat:

monkey

Dr Bones said:
Adventure it is then but heck, I'd go just so I could say "get your ass to Mars" and when at spaceport check in, grin insanley repeating "Two weeks!" :hat:

In the initial stages of colonization, tourism might actually be the biggest industry.