Crystal Skull Vs Temple of Doom - Which is better?

Dr.Jonesy

Stoo said:
On topic: Which is better? “Doom” of course!:whip:
None of the clips in the video you posted above are from “old adventure serials”. They are all from films.

Same difference...
:rolleyes:

Stoo

Hate to break it to you, Dr. Jonesy, but a feature film is NOT the same thing as a serial.:whip:

On topic: "Doom" is better than "Skull" because Kate C. is hotter than Cate B.:p

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
Hate to break it to you, Dr. Jonesy, but a feature film is NOT the same thing as a serial.:whip:

On topic: "Doom" is better than "Skull" because Kate C. is hotter than Cate B.:p

That much is true... although Cate B is the one you'd want to settle down with. ;)

FedoraHead

Wow did the first post that Doom did poorly at the box office? It was the 3rd biggest movie of that year. I don't see why Doom gets bashed so much! I loved it! Sure it's not Raiders but maybe better than LC. It's fun! That what I missed about Crystal Skull. Sure it was fun also but not like Doom. Like my son watches Doom and he is on the edge of his seat, so was it as kid. I don't CS had that kind of thrill. After the "sand pit" it kind goes down for me. Look back at Doom! The mine car race, the bridge! Your on the edge of your seat! CS was missing that fun adventure feel.

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:

Your conclusions are correct, your reasoning dead wrong.

:gun:

Major West

ResidentAlien said:
That's funny...

I just so happened to have just watched The Mummy oh... about 10 minutes ago. First time in around 10 years. And while it's simple-minded, poorly scripted and highly derivative, at no point did I see a bumbling 50-something bimbo drive a car off a cliff while smiling like a moron.

It's stupid, but hardly unpalatable. The picture had sense enough to kill off characters rather than string them along for the duration of the piece as set dressing.

Needless to say, I'll take the Steven Sommer's schlock over the latest abortion to sully the name that once stood for adventure.

That name is hardly Rick O'Connell, but Dr. Jones don't mean what it used to... Vernacular's changed and all...

I will say, it was amusing looking back on an 11 year old summer movie. What was (and is) a loud, overly busy, unrefined and yet over-produced film seems rather tame in the wake of even louder and busier fare to befoul screens since.

It was OK. Although it bored me and lacked the directorial flare of the films it attempted to pay homage to. Don't like Brendan Fraser much either. Bit of a hurdle there. Like I said I'd rather watch a 66 year old Ford in his fedora dropping his keks and taking a dump over watching any of the Mummy films. Accept no substitutes.

Last edited:

Gabeed

I actually enjoyed the first Mummy movie. It moved at a brisk pace, wasn't too lame, had some neat action scenes . . .I probably like it more than KoTCS. I'm not the hugest fan of Brendan Frasier either, but I was young when I saw the Mummy, so i didn't recognize him as George of the Jungle, fortunately. I was able to accept that he was Rick O'Connell, and not just a goofy moron.

The sequels, on the hand, were just terrible, especially the recent "Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," which was just mind-numbingly bad. It was too bad to even MST3K-style riff on. Rachel Weisz' absence was huge.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
That much is true... although Cate B is the one you'd want to settle down with. ;)

It would be the difference of having Willie Scott shrieking in your ear about doing jobs round the house, or Irina Spalko strutting around in her jackboots and threatening you with a riding crop.

Now, which marriage would be better? The Shriek of Doom or The Kingdom of the 'I told you once so now it should be Crystal Clear'?

Montana Smith said:
Now, which marriage would be better? The Shriek of Doom or The Kingdom of the 'I told you once so now it should be Crystal Clear'?

I like those! My take: Temple of Whine, or Kingdom of you didn't have to say it, I know what you're thinking.

Let's broaden the playing field to Raiders of the Liquor Cabinet and The Last Infidelity.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I like those! My take: Temple of Whine, or Kingdom of you didn't have to say it, I know what you're thinking.

Let's broaden the playing field to Raiders of the Liquor Cabinet and The Last Infidelity.

Perfect! Now we have the full set!

FedoraHead

When it comes to Crystal Skull:
Lucas & team were so preoccupied with whether or not they could do a sfx shot, they didn't stop to think if they should.
Just cause it can be done, doesn't always mean it should. Case in point: Mutt's swing on the vine or going over board with the ants.

Darth Vile

FedoraHead said:
When it comes to Crystal Skull:
Lucas & team were so preoccupied with whether or not they could do a sfx shot, they didn't stop to think if they should.
Just cause it can be done, doesn't always mean it should. Case in point: Mutt's swing on the vine or going over board with the ants.

I personally thought the vine swing was pretty dire, but the ants scene was the best use of creepy crawlies since Raiders. Swings and roundabouts... ;)

FedoraHead

Darth Vile said:
I personally thought the vine swing was pretty dire, but the ants scene was the best use of creepy crawlies since Raiders. Swings and roundabouts... ;)

It was ok, if it wasn't so UNREAL! I think each movie has it's "unreal" moments but it seemed like CK asked me to be believe the unbelievable to many times. I mean come on, they climb on top of each to get to someone? Drag a man in the ant hill?
I don't think Raiders or LC came anywhere close to anything that unreal. Now Doom, yea maybe the "heart" scene or the rift but I can over look a few things but like I said CK took it over the top. The fridge, the ants, the vines, the waterfall.
I dont want to sound like I hated the movie, I liked it

DocWhiskey

FedoraHead said:
I mean come on, they climb on top of each to get to someone? Drag a man in the ant hill?
I don't think Raiders or LC came anywhere close to anything that unreal.

Personally, the ants weren't anymore unreal than Nazi saluting monkeys, face melting ark ghosts, or the fact that Indy got his fedora, chin scar, whip, and fear of snakes all in one afternoon (imagine if he was sick that day!). I do agree that KotCS is a bit more unreal than the previous entries, but the ants were the least of my troubles with the film.

DocWhiskey said:
Personally, the ants weren't anymore unreal than Nazi saluting monkeys, face melting ark ghosts, or the fact that Indy got his fedora, chin scar, whip, and fear of snakes all in one afternoon (imagine if he was sick that day!). I do agree that KotCS is a bit more unreal than the previous entries, but the ants were the least of my troubles with the film.
I understand what you're going for...

...HOWEVER,

people love to harp on the nazi saluting Monkey. There's a reason for stereotypes just like theres a reason for sayings like the french: Singe qui voit, singe qui fait. Yeah, monkey see, monkey do, and they enthusiastic way Monkey Man salutes, (surely the onscreen one isn't the solitary time) is the perfect mannerism to mimic.

Say what you will, the Nazi saluting Monkey isn't nearly as fake as Shorty taking out a bunch of Thuggees with his concentrated "Hodoken" or his stick fighting, nor as crazy as the ants.

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
Your conclusions are correct, your reasoning dead wrong.

:gun:
O.K. How about "Doom" is better than "Skull" because Willie Scott in a tight, red dress is hotter than Irina Spalko in grey, utilitarian threads.
dr.jones1986 said:
They are both very attractive. Cate B's look in skull did not do her justice.
Agreed. A bob haircut looks good on some faces, but not Cate B.'s.:sick:
FedoraHead said:
I think each movie has it's "unreal" moments but it seemed like CK asked me to be believe the unbelievable to many times
What is "CK"?:p

@DocWhiskey: Re: clips of old adventure serials (plural) featuring fedora-clad adventurers (plural) being chased by boulders (plural) and walls (plural) shooting arrows. Are you ever going to answer my question from the previous page or will you continue to ignore it?:whip:

Darth Vile

FedoraHead said:
It was ok, if it wasn't so UNREAL! I think each movie has it's "unreal" moments but it seemed like CK asked me to be believe the unbelievable to many times. I mean come on, they climb on top of each to get to someone? Drag a man in the ant hill?
I don't think Raiders or LC came anywhere close to anything that unreal. Now Doom, yea maybe the "heart" scene or the rift but I can over look a few things but like I said CK took it over the top. The fridge, the ants, the vines, the waterfall.
I dont want to sound like I hated the movie, I liked it

For me, it's not that they were more photorealistic and/or that they behaved in a more believable way... it was that the ants served a purpose and acted as an efficient peril within the movie. Sure, the bugs and rats in TOD and TLC are real (in most cases), but apart from the "ewww" factor, they didn't serve any purpose at all. As I say, the only other Indy movie where the critters present an actual threat is the snakes in Raiders. So for me, the ants scene is only bettered by the well of the souls.

Crack that whip

Darth Vile said:
For me, it's not that they were more photorealistic and/or that they behaved in a more believable way... it was that the ants served a purpose and acted as an efficient peril within the movie. Sure, the bugs and rats in TOD and TLC are real (in most cases), but apart from the "ewww" factor, they didn't serve any purpose at all. As I say, the only other Indy movie where the critters present an actual threat is the snakes in Raiders. So for me, the ants scene is only bettered by the well of the souls.

Indeed, it's worth noting the ants scene is the first (and so far only) "creepy-crawly" scene in the entire series in which the creepy crawlies in question aren't merely a threat, but actually physically harm or kill anyone. Everyone we see enter the bug tunnel, the Well of Souls or the Venetian tombs makes it out suffering only psychological damage at worst from their respective critters, but the ants actually kill multiple people. That's gotta be worth something...