TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?
Absolutely!!! I'm in lala land 51 35.66%
Maybe...but not today. 53 37.06%
No, not with any of the current creators and members. 19 13.29%
Heck no, no denial issues here. 8 5.59%
I may not like it, but a Re-boot is possible within the decade 18 12.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #3251
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchellhallock
Please excuse any typos on my post as I am writing this and driving on the way to look at sites for 2011 Comiconn

Typing and driving sounds dangerous... Typos are preferable to crashes!

I don't doubt the authenticity of the note, but I'm not sure whether Karen was being serious or merely mischievous.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #3252
RaiderMitch
TR.N Staff Member

You're welcome. And if I find out anymore about Ms. Allen's availability for next year I will let you know unless I have to sign a nondisclosure agreement like my pals who were working on Indy 4.
RaiderMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #3253
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreignerfred
The only way this could be true is if the questions were pre-screened to weed out Indy-related questions to keep it all Star Wars for a Star Wars event.

There are too many crossover Stars Wars/Indiana Jones fans. Certainly ONE of the fans in the room wonders about Indy 5!

LOL. That's just the thing. Things like Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Cameron's Avatar, Star Trek and most especially Star Wars have a far greater fanbase and excitment meter than sadly “something brown” like Indiana Jones, The Mummy or Bones whatever else some people deride as being "brown".

I’ve heard so many people (particulary youth) deride Indiana Jones as “brown and boring” while they praise stuff like Star Wars and Star Trek. However, perhaps peoples views will change with the smashing new “brown” and action packed Prince of Perisa: The Sands of Time from Walt Disney. I mean, one can hope right?
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #3254
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Please forgive my cynical nature Mitchell, and try not to take it personally. Understand that a picture of some handwritten words from across the internet, just aren't as convincing as a quote from the Associated Press, or a video showing these words coming directly out of her mouth. Especially since it is a quote that is such a bombshell in comparison to everything else we've heard thus far. It's not my intention to discredit you, or even the quote itself. I'd love it to be true!! All I know is that it doesn't jibe with any other quote out there, and I'm sure you can understand why a rational person who doesn't know you might be a little apprehensive about it.

It would make the most sense to me if she was simply joking.

on a side note, one of my wife's friends was decapitated last year texting while driving!! Not good! we'll be here after you get to your destination
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #3255
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
Please forgive my cynical nature Mitchell, and try not to take it personally. Understand that a picture of some handwritten words from across the internet, just aren't as convincing as a quote from the Associated Press, or a video showing these words coming directly out of her mouth...

Truth be told, truth be told. I agree with Indy's brother on that.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #3256
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I'd love it to be true!!

All I know is that it doesn't jibe with any other quote out there, and I'm sure you can understand why a rational person who doesn't know you might be a little apprehensive about it.

It would make the most sense to me if she was simply joking.

That's how I looked on the quote. My cynical nature tells me that in the drought of Indy V news it's too good to be serious. My optimistic side, however, wants to believe, of course, that Karen wasn't joking.

Time will tell!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #3257
Hanselation
IndyFan

Ford Q&A 30 anniversary Empire strike back

I didn't find this link in the forum, so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii_fRIveC5A

Because I'm at work I can't listen to Q&A
So help me! Did Ford tell something related to Indiana Jones 5???
Hanselation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #3258
EddyW
IndyFan

Not in the video you just posted, but it's not the entire interview. I think that if he had spoken about Indy 5, we would have heard it by now through other canals though.
EddyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #3259
Prime Blue
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyW
I think that if he had spoken about Indy 5, we would have heard it by now through other canals though.
I don't think he would spurt out any big reveals, so it's still likely that a small blurb just didn't find its way to the net yet. At this point in time, I'm sure anyone here would be happy with just a small sign of life.

Anyway, I think all eyes should be at Comic-Con. I guess you could start to worry if it's not announced there.
Prime Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #3260
foreignerfred
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue
I don't think he would spurt out any big reveals, so it's still likely that a small blurb just didn't find its way to the net yet. At this point in time, I'm sure anyone here would be happy with just a small sign of life.

Anyway, I think all eyes should be at Comic-Con. I guess you could start to worry if it's not announced there.

Right on. I think there should be an announcement there if it's going to happen (on Karen Allen's time table!).

When is Comic Con anyway?
foreignerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #3261
Hanselation
IndyFan

Quote:
Right on. I think there should be an announcement there if it's going to happen (on Karen Allen's time table!).

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/index.php

And here you'll find LucasFilm -Arts -Books at Comic-Con:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci2009/cci_exhib_2.php

And Hasbro.

Last edited by Hanselation : 05-21-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Hanselation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #3262
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselation
And here you'll find LucasFilm -Arts -Books at Comic-Con:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci2009/cci_exhib_2.php

And Hasbro.

Good one! I tried looking for Lucasfilm there a few weeks ago and came up with nothing. Guess I shouldn't give up so easily.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #3263
lao che & sons
IndyFan

I hope there is an anouncement at least for screen writer or that it's been greenlighted etc. etc. But I can almost guarantee that there's going to be an anoucement by lucasfilm.....

for yet ANOTHER star wars animated series
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #3264
The Tingler
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
LOL. That's just the thing. Things like Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Cameron's Avatar, Star Trek and most especially Star Wars have a far greater fanbase and excitment meter than sadly “something brown” like Indiana Jones, The Mummy or Bones whatever else some people deride as being "brown".

I’ve heard so many people (particulary youth) deride Indiana Jones as “brown and boring” while they praise stuff like Star Wars and Star Trek. However, perhaps peoples views will change with the smashing new “brown” and action packed Prince of Perisa: The Sands of Time from Walt Disney. I mean, one can hope right?

Considering Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the most successful movie worldwide in 2008, and that most yoofs are praising the f***ing Star Wars Prequels or the new Abrams Star Trek rather than proper Trek, I'm quite happy with that.

If they're going to get younger Indy fans, they have to do an exceptional job with Indy 5 (and quickly) or make a superb action-packed animated series.
The Tingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #3265
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler
Considering Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the most successful movie worldwide in 2008, and that most yoofs are praising the f***ing Star Wars Prequels or the new Abrams Star Trek rather than proper Trek, I'm quite happy with that.

If they're going to get younger Indy fans, they have to do an exceptional job with Indy 5 (and quickly) or make a superb action-packed animated series.

You have a good point here, despite the fact that I loved the freakin' pants off of Star Trek. Mostly thanks to Chris Pine's very Han Solo/Indy-esque performance.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #3266
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
You have a good point here, despite the fact that I loved the freakin' pants off of Star Trek. Mostly thanks to Chris Pine's very Han Solo/Indy-esque performance.

Amen and Amen!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #3267
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler

The target audience for KOTCS was certainly the younger market, with the employment of Mutt to counteract the old man syndrome. That's the market where mass sales of toys bring in the revenue - though in the case of KOTCS that didn't seem to go according to plan as the toys went quickly to sale and lines were pulled.

So...

With that in mind, hopefully Lucas and Spielberg will appreciate that Indy doesn't have a huge younger fan base (as Star Wars possesses), and therefore Indy V can be geared to the more mature market -a family movie that will suit the whole family, rather than pandering so much to the younger section with over-the-top spectacle, and a young would-be hero (Mutt) overshadowing the real hero (or anti-hero if we go back to his roots).

Lucas can't help himself dumbing down greatness by piling on inane humour - such as the awful Jar-Jar -to help children get past the more adult concepts in the script. Humour in ROTLA was slick and well placed, but in KOTCS it certainly wasn't.

For Indy V they need to take a step back and think of those who grew up with the originals. (Since Lucas made the same mistakes with Star Wars, and is apparently unrepentent, this may be too much to hope for).
Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #3268
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
The target audience for KOTCS was certainly the younger market, with the employment of Mutt to counteract the old man syndrome.

For whatever it's worth, these are the current demographics for my recently started "1,000,000 strong for a 5th Indiana Jones Movie!" Facebook page:

Male Female
77% 22%

Male Female
13-17 6% 3%
18-24 11% 5%
25-34 22% 5%
35-44 27% 5%
45-54 11% 2%
55+ 0% 3%

This is representative of 598 fans in 20 countries.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #3269
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
For whatever it's worth, these are the current demographics for my recently started "1,000,000 strong for a 5th Indiana Jones Movie!" Facebook page:

Male Female
77% 22%

Male Female
13-17 6% 3%
18-24 11% 5%
25-34 22% 5%
35-44 27% 5%
45-54 11% 2%
55+ 0% 3%

This is representative of 598 fans in 20 countries.

Those are interesting figures, which, retrospectively, if replicated as Indy-viewing trends, would seem to indicate that KOTCS missed its mark by aiming for a younger audience, but instead attracted those in an age bracket who grew up with the originals. The very age group that would likely be disappointed by KOTCS.

This should be ammunition to argue for a more mature Indy V.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #3270
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Sorry! I screwed up! Those were the demographics for people that have posted on the page in the last week! I'm an idiot. Here's the numbers for people that have joined:

Male Female
68% 32%

13-17 6% 4%
18-24 15% 6%
25-34 20% 7%
35-44 21% 9%
45-54 4% 4%
55+ 2% 1%
Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #3271
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Sorry! I screwed up! Those were the demographics for people that have posted on the page in the last week! I'm an idiot. Here's the numbers for people that have joined:

Male Female
68% 32%

13-17 6% 4%
18-24 15% 6%
25-34 20% 7%
35-44 21% 9%
45-54 4% 4%
55+ 2% 1%

They're not a million miles apart. The demographic still shows that two-thirds are 25 and over. Only one in ten are 17 and under. It also indicates that the legacy of KOTCS failed to capture a massive younger audience.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #3272
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
They're not a million miles apart. The demographic still shows that two-thirds are 25 and over. Only one in ten are 17 and under. It also indicates that the legacy of KOTCS failed to capture a massive younger audience.

As mentioned in another thread, whilst I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think what those figures probably reflect more than anything else is… when TLC was made, Harrison Ford was still probably the most popular male movie star in the world. Circa 20 years on, his name doesn’t mean that much to a younger audience, who’d automatically gravitate more towards a Robert Downey Jnr or Johnny Depp. It's possible that KOTCS wouldn't have appealed to anyone under the age of 25 if it wasn't for Shia.

Get Downey Jnr or Depp a role in Indy V and we’re onto a winner…
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #3273
StwongBwidge
IndyFan

Quote:
Right on. I think there should be an announcement there [at Comic Con] if it's going to happen (on Karen Allen's time table!).

Don't want to sound undully optimistic or anything, but based on KOTCS an announcement could be made any time up to January 2011 and still fit in with Karen Allen's timetable of a Summer 2011 shoot and Summer 2012 release.

I.e. KOTCS: 31 Dec 2006 announcement for Summer 2007 shoot and Summer 2008 release; Indy V: just move everything on 4 years. I added a further month to the announcement date as from memory the announcement was bumped forward as it was about to be leaked.

So, sadly, we will still have to hold onto our hopes till January next year before we can begin to bring closure to these forlorn hopes...
StwongBwidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #3274
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
As mentioned in another thread, whilst I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think what those figures probably reflect more than anything else is… when TLC was made, Harrison Ford was still probably the most popular male movie star in the world. Circa 20 years on, his name doesn’t mean that much to a younger audience, who’d automatically gravitate more towards a Robert Downey Jnr or Johnny Depp. It's possible that KOTCS wouldn't have appealed to anyone under the age of 25 if it wasn't for Shia.

Get Downey Jnr or Depp a role in Indy V and we’re onto a winner…

In that other thread (Shia: We botched...), I wrote:

Quote:
It will be impossible to get 100% public acceptance - if that was what was being attempted in KOTCS it was obviously a failure. This should therefore guide Lucas and Spielberg's decisions for Indy V.

KOTCS looked like a sop to garner support from both ends of the spectrum: the original fans who wanted to see Harrison, and a new younger audience who would look to Shia as their hero.

In KOTCS Shia was supposed to inject a youthful dynamic, yet he did botch that attempt. The problem now is, if Indy V requires a young sidekick to sell itself, can they return to Shia? Can he be more convincing next time around, without taking the focus completely away from Harrison?

I'd like Indy to go the solo route, but accept that it's an idea unlikely to come to life. This could be the sticking point, delaying any commitment to Indy V: KOTCS didn't gain a lasting young fan base. Therefore, is there still a big enough market for another movie beyond the dedicated fans at boards such as these?

On that basis, the only way forward would be to have a young actor of the equivalent talent of a Robert Downey Jnr or a Johnny Depp to take the role of the younger hero/sidekick. Shia didn't convince in KOTCS and I can't see him returning to the role of Mutt, and especially not becoming the 'next Indiana Jones'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StwongBwidge
Don't want to sound undully optimistic or anything, but based on KOTCS an announcement could be made any time up to January 2011 and still fit in with Karen Allen's timetable of a Summer 2011 shoot and Summer 2012 release.

I.e. KOTCS: 31 Dec 2006 announcement for Summer 2007 shoot and Summer 2008 release; Indy V: just move everything on 4 years. I added a further month to the announcement date as from memory the announcement was bumped forward as it was about to be leaked.

So, sadly, we will still have to hold onto our hopes till January next year before we can begin to bring closure to these forlorn hopes...

It's a long time to wait, and it's be nice to know whether Lucas is even thinking seriously about the subject.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #3275
HJJNR
IndyFan

...take the hint!

I know its been said here before about " hearing something by a certain time or just accept it wont happen" and I think that time has come with the comiccon.
If we dont get some kind of information by then we can assume that it wont happen, we get no news, take the hint; aint happening.

Ok the Harison Ford age thing wasnt a problem in Skull but from my experience once you hit close to 70 your body decides enough is enough, having worked with our citizens of senior age and I honestly think (how ever much we all love Harrison Ford) he will simply be too old for any kind of action genre flick, maybe not looking old but he will have to have so many body doubles and stunt doubles that we will be removed from the action. Ford said himself (John Hurt was quoting ford in an interview) "Movie goers come to watch me (ford) doing my own stunts and the whole action thing myself not a stuntman... they sure as hell havent come to watch me act"

I agree, in every Indy film we see ford doing his own stuff, less so in Skull. i just dont want a repeat of Sean Connerys League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The only thing he did in that film were the close ups hee hee!

I think if we dont hear anything by comiccon then lets let Indy smoulder out rather than have a last shot with a lead who cant run from danger rather be wheeled outin a chair. I mean ZERO disrespect to Harrison Ford, the man is one of my favourite actors, having grown up with his movies. I just think you have to knowwhen to say enough is enough. Just my opinion.

Last edited by HJJNR : 05-25-2010 at 07:38 AM.
HJJNR is offline   Reply With Quote