General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Glad you weren't feeling as lazy as I was.

I don't normally jump on these kinds of mistakes, but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this alleged pitch that Spielberg made to Shia. It all seems a little dubious, particularly taking into account that the director is in England and the actor is in Chicago. It's <I>possible</I>, but it all seems a little trumped-up.

...and out of mole hills (or prairie dog mounds) grow mountains.

I find it ironically funny that the people who write these articles fail to even confirm the basest of facts. I mean Temple of the Crystal Skull on it's own is going to send some people here into a murderous frenzy: that the media can't even get the name of their favourite movie correct.

I watched American Pysho yesterday, and something is very remiscent: the killer can openly tell everyone what he's done, and it's okay, because nobody's listening. The media seems like that nowadays. They can churn out what they like to fill the pages, and it doesn't really matter to them. Hence we're assailed by unsubstantiated rumours that grow a life of their own.

Prime Blue

Montana Smith said:
That caption: Temple of the Crystal Skull (!) (No picture from ROTLA)
Yeah, everybody should know by now that it's Raider of the Crystal Kingdom, Temples of the Last Ark, and Doom Crusade of Skulls.

...What I don't understand is how somebody makes such a mistake. Are they so sure on the title that they don't even bother to do a Google search?

Indy's brother

Attila the Professor said:
I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this alleged pitch that Spielberg made to Shia. It all seems a little dubious, particularly taking into account that the director is in England and the actor is in Chicago. It's <I>possible</I>, but it all seems a little trumped-up.

My ever-hopeful self would like to think that it's true, and that the context of the comment was that this didn't happen the day before the interview (where is the rest of this interview?). Without context, the Spielberg's Office bit could've have been any time. The "script writing now" would still indicate that it's in progress, in any context. Here is a thought, if it's phony, shouldn't Shia himself be coming forward by now to debunk it?

In all seriousness, gleaning any truth out of these little Indy 5 snippets is like reading tea leaves that are floating through a maze.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
My ever-hopeful self would like to think that it's true, and that the context of the comment was that this didn't happen the day before the interview (where is the rest of this interview?). Without context, the Spielberg's Office bit could've have been any time. The "script writing now" would still indicate that it's in progress, in any context.

All of that's valid. I suppose it begs the question, who brought it up in that interview? And if it wasn't Shia, isn't he asked about this fairly frequently? (Maybe he isn't, but I'd guess he is.)

Indy's brother said:
Here is a thought, if it's phony, shouldn't Shia himself be coming forward by now to debunk it?

Good point. Presumably he and his agent have a service that flags all stories with his name in it. Wonder if he's skittish about not being included, after his commentary a couple months back? Would it lead too directly to needing to say that he and Spielberg aren't as close as they once were? Is leaving the story be some kind of gambit?

Ah, hell, I don't really take any of that prior paragraph seriously - but you really <I>can't</I> ever tell what people are thinking, so who knows?

Forbidden Eye

Exulted Unicron said:
According to the Express (an english paper) -

VETERAN actor Harrison Ford is set to reprise the role of Indiana Jones on the big screen one last time ? at the age of 70.

Plans are afoot for the star, who recently married long-term girlfriend Calista Flockhart, to make a final outing as his famous alter-ego. It?s understood the fifth instalment of the lucrative movie franchise will hit cinemas in 2012 ? the year Ford marks his 70th birthday.

Fellow actor Shia LaBeouf, who appeared alongside Ford as his son Mutt in Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull in 2008, now reveals he?s been approached about appearing in the next film. ?They?re scriptwriting now,? says LaBeouf, 24. ?It sounds crazy. It sounds really cool.?

Ford, 68, who made his name as gun*slinger Han Solo in Star Wars, first starred as Indiana Jones back in 1981 in the hit adventure Raiders Of The Lost Ark. He twice reprised the role in the Eighties before returning to the part two years ago.
Harrison Ford in the Last Crusade, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of the Crystal Skull

Despite his advancing years, a still trim Ford performed many of the hazardous stunts on the last film. ?I am probably as fit or possibly fitter than I was 18 or 20 years ago,? he declared at the time. However, not everyone was as keen to return ? Sir Sean Connery informed the movie?s bosses Steven Spielberg and George Lucas that he was enjoying retirement too much to reprise the role of Indiana?s father.

Jones?s much-anticipated 2008 comeback went on to receive mixed reviews. Indeed, only recently LaBeouf suggested he had personally not lived up to fans? expectations. ?I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished,? he remarked.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/194894/Harrison-Ford-is-to-return-as-Indiana-Jones-at-age-70

Awesome! Reminds me when Indy 4 was officially coming out in 2003! No, 2004. No 2005. 2006 for sure. O.k. 2007. 2008 is pushing it, for real, 2008!

Texas

Has anybody tried emailing Showbizspy.com? I tried emailing them about the veracity of Shia's quote and all that, but I still haven't gotten a response.

JP Jones

Forbidden Eye said:
Awesome! Reminds me when Indy 4 was officially coming out in 2003! No, 2004. No 2005. 2006 for sure. O.k. 2007. 2008 is pushing it, for real, 2008!
Let's just hope it doesn't end up like Jurassic Park 4."2005, no 06, wait 07, definatley 08, 09 for sure, it's got to be 10, ah forget it!"

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Here is a thought, if it's phony, shouldn't Shia himself be coming forward by now to debunk it?

Maybe he's soaking up the positive Indy vibe, to counteract his negative words on KOTCS? Then again, actors don't like to close doors, but prefer to leave them open in hope.

Indy's brother said:
In all seriousness, gleaning any truth out of these little Indy 5 snippets is like reading tea leaves that are floating through a maze.

I drink coffee, and like the Indy Paramount mountain, it nearly always dissolves. Utterly hopeless for predictions.

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
The meat of the article is the Shia quote that we got the other day. So, yes, it doesn't really confirm anything.

The various arms of the media will be bouncing off each other now, so that we'll soon start believing it's actually real this time!

That caption: Temple of the Crystal Skull (!) (No picture from ROTLA)

194894_2.jpg

That's why I don't believe anything that these flimsy "news" web sites say. They can't even get the damn pictures or titles of the films right... and these are well established films. They don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Lance Quazar

Indy's brother said:

No.

Shia, along with just about any actor of his stature, has better things to do than chase down and deny every tiny little b.s. internet rumor that happens to momentarily bubble to the surface.

Well it's been about a week and it still hasn't been debunked by anybody. I think it is encouraging news and they still have time to make it for a 2012 release. That means the DVD can be released before the Mayan apocalypse:hat:

Texas

I think since its been a week now, its looking like Shia's quote is the real deal. Lucasfilm or Frank Marshall would've debunked it by now. Remember how quickly the Bermuda Triangle rumors got debunked.

Mungi

chicago103 said:
Well it's been about a week and it still hasn't been debunked by anybody.

The Bermuda Triangle rumor was debunked after one day by Paramount, Lucasfilm and Frank Marshall.

Oh, please, let it be true this time.(y)

mattzilla2010

Texas said:
I think since its been a week now, its looking like Shia's quote is the real deal. Lucasfilm or Frank Marshall would've debunked it by now. Remember how quickly the Bermuda Triangle rumors got debunked.

Let's hope so! :D

Texas

And has anyone noticed how quiet George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have been recently? I know that Spielberg is busy with "War Horse" but it seems like George has nothing on his plate right now. The last time we heard from Lucas was about a month ago when he was out promoting "Star Wars." He might be working on an Indy 5 script this moment.

Indy's brother

It's pretty much a given after this that Shia will be grilled about Indy 5 the next time he is interviewed or out in the public eye....and Shia is not as shy around the press as GL, SS, FM, or HF. He'll be promoting Transformers 3 more an more as the weeks go by, we'll be hearing more soon. ;)

Major Eaton

Indy's brother said:
and Shia is not as shy around the press as GL, SS, FM, or HF. He'll be promoting Transformers 3 more an more as the weeks go by, we'll be hearing more soon. ;)

Do you think they issued him a gag order?:D

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Wall Street 2 (Shia) opens September 24.
Morning Glory (Ford) opens November 12.
Any other press opportunity in 2010 is gravy.

Then 2011 brings the usual award shows and...
Red Tails (Lucas/McCullum)
Transformers 3 (Shia/Spielberg)
Cowboys & Aleins (Ford/Spielberg)
Premium Rush (Koepp)
War Horse (Spielberg/Marshall/Kennedy/Williams/Kaminski/Kahn)
Tintin (Spielberg/Kennedy/Williams/Kahn)