Tony Scott
James Cameron
Richard Donner
Joe Dante
John Carpenter
Michael Bay
Michel Gondry

Niteshade007

Hitchcock is definitely my favorite. I've seen nearly every one of his American films, and quite a few of his earlier works in Europe.

The Man

Niteshade007 said:
Hitchcock is definitely my favorite. I've seen nearly every one of his American films, and quite a few of his earlier works in Europe.

They've recently released a box-set of his early British movies. You'll have to Google it yourself, though - I can't remember the full details.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Are we citing directors of movies we like, or are we citing a directors talent. Does anyone really know what's involved in directing, or do we just see something we like, and assume it must be good because of "him/her"...

You bring up a good point, [a] Pale Horse. Do you have a favorite director of your own?
For me, it's no question. Billy Wilder is my absolute favorite. Every film he's involved with, even the ones where he only writes the screenplay, share the theme of a complete body of work. He's slightly overlooked as an auteur if you ask me. Few have handled such varying genres with consistent success. Ace in the Hole to Some Like It Hot. That's versatility.

Pale Horse said:
Are we citing directors of movies we like, or are we citing a directors talent. Does anyone really know what's involved in directing, or do we just see something we like, and assume it must be good because of "him/her"...

Good point. It's the only reason Gore Verbinski or Michael Bay could have been mentioned so far.

No, safe to say most people on this board haven't a clue what goes into creating a film.

I do subscribe to Auteur theory, though. I certainly credit individual contribution, but I subscribe to the view of a director as say... Captain of the ship. The one who unifies the vision.

Werner Herzog is, while perhaps not truly my favorite, nearly without contest the most dedicated and unique of directors. His dedication and oft-maniacal dedication make him a clear leader in his field. What other director would have hatched (simultaneously with his intended victim) a plan to kill his star and best friend (Klaus Kinski) who in turn planned to kill his director? It's utterly absurdist and fascinating. And of course there's the various heroic (or flat-out stupid) things Herzog has done in the name of his art. Jumped onto a cactus to motivate his crew? Created a film where they literally raised a boat over a mountain? Saved Joaquin Phoenix's life? Eaten his leather boot to reward his friend for completing his first film? How about getting shot in the stomach during an interview and continuing the interview? Herzog is a mad-genius; a true Auteur. For that reason, he stands above the rest.

And by no means are his films my favorite, mind you.

Kubrick, Bergman, Antonioni round off the list for me, I think.

Wilder too. And Kurosawa.

deckard24

You guys have named a lot of great ones already!:hat:

My personal favorites:

• Steven Spielberg
  • Michael Mann
  • Peter Weir
  • Ridley Scott
  • David Cronenberg
  • John Carpenter
  • The Coen Bros.
  • Wes Anderson
  • Martin Scorsese
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Danny Boyle
  • Stanley Kubrick
  • Paul Thomas Anderson
  • John Huston
  • Akira Kurosawa
  • Peter Jackson
  • Francis Ford Coppola
  • Mel Gibson
  • Tom Tykwer

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

bloodandmood

Active:

1. Coen Brothers
2. Alfonso Cuarón
3. Brad Bird
4. Steven Spielberg
5. Ridley Scott

Deceased:

1. Charles Chaplin (all time favorite)
2. John Ford
3. Akira Kurosawa
4. Orson Welles
5. Alfred Hitchcock

Abners lil Girl

- Howard Hawks
- Ang Lee
- Coen Brothers
- Christopher Nolan
- Terrence Malick

these guys just don't make bad films, it's miraculous.

So, Attila, what makes you the resident film buff?

TheMutt92

Well, Abners lil Girl, one of your favs did kinda make a bad movie: Ang Lee with Hulk (though that is a matter of opinion) Though I would agree on the others.

Abners lil Girl

TheMutt92 said:
Well, Abners lil Girl, one of your favs did kinda make a bad movie: Ang Lee with Hulk (though that is a matter of opinion) Though I would agree on the others.

oh, yeah, I forgot about that one :eek: Acutally, I don't think it's that bad, I mean, I can see what he was trying to do with it. I think Lee was just out of his depth making a Marvel super hero film. But yeah, you got me, lol.