Spalko's Erection! (not what it sounds like...well, actually, yeah it is)

Gear

Though it is funny what parents claimed to have found on the poster of The Little Mermaid.

wolfgang

Indy's Fist said:
I don't know about all of that, but I do know Spalko gave ME an erection!:D

Me three.

Although I might have had one throughout the whole time I watched that movie for the first time....
Too much info? Sorry...:gun:

Jono11

gear guardian said:
Though it is funny what parents claimed to have found on the poster of The Little Mermaid.
Dude, it's there. Personally, I think it's fantastic. Kids are never going to notice these things, and then when they get older, their interests will be renewed by all these clever sight-gags.

Jono11 said:
Dude, it's there. Personally, I think it's fantastic. Kids are never going to notice these things, and then when they get older, their interests will be renewed by all these clever sight-gags.

Spalko's "excitement" seems reasonably possible...listen to the Jon Braver interview in the last Indy Cast. He talks about the direction Spielberg gave him during the "drag scene". So the erection seems entirely plausible.

I believe The Little Mermaid "phalus" was unintentional...Disney had another movie with an actual movie frame of a topless woman, but The Little Mermaid just seems like a Rorschach, wishfull thinking.

Now this ad seems an intentional subliminal work, no?

3580179598_87b026f54d_m.jpg

IndyJr

It only happened that way because the rapier was attached to her belt and the magnetic force drew the sword towards the crate, therefore creating the...erect... position ;)

kongisking

IndyJr said:
It only happened that way because the rapier was attached to her belt and the magnetic force drew the sword towards the crate, therefore creating the...erect... position ;)

We all know why and how it happened according to the film's internal logic; I'm talking about the real-world possible symbolism of the shot's framing and timing.

I don't suppose anyone could post a screencap of said shot, please?

TheLastCrusader

Stoo said:
When it comes to setting up the composition of a shot, Spielberg's no dummy so it could very well be intentional. What it implies is anybody's guess. Something like this is nothing new either. Classic Warner Bros cartoons have tonnes of examples of "erections" in them. Chucks Jones and Tex Avery were constantly trying to sneak things pass the censors of the time and, in 2008/09, this gag is an oldie.
(y) (y) (y)
now, less talk, more eye candy
snapshot20090610234835.png

Mickiana

I had absolutely no doubt from the first time I saw the movie that this was supposed to be an erection gag. There's nothing in the scene to suggest it wasn't and everything to suggest it was. It was entirely intentional as a low key gag.

TheLastCrusader

Mickiana said:
I had absolutely no doubt from the first time I saw the movie that this was supposed to be an erection gag. There's nothing in the scene to suggest it wasn't and everything to suggest it was. It was entirely intentional as a low key gag.
Exactly. That specific angle in particular makes it more than obvious.

Agent Z

Spalko found her "gold", and was...er..."excited"...and, of course all involved in the film will deny it, with a knowing wink and smile. :D

Canyon

kongisking said:
Did anyone pick up on the interesting moment where, during the teaser in Area 51, Spalko's sword is pulled up into an, ahem, "erect" position by the magnetic alien's body? Did this have any significance, or am I just a pathetic pervert who likes to insert hidden sexual meanings in my favorite movies? It just looked very...deliberate to me.

Yes, you're just being a typical guy! :D