Ghostbusters (2016)

Joe Brody

Yeah, saw that on CNN. Maybe Baymax will put in a cameo as the Stay Puft Marshmallow man. My prediction is that he won't have much work after his current gig is up.

I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of Wiig or McCarthy. Neither are guarantees at the box-office. Rather than wonky Columbia professors, I'd be interested in a modern view on an all female ghostbuster origins story.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Paranormal Activity meets Patrick Swayze's Ghost only with ectoplasm. You heard it here first.

Total ****storm on all Ghostbusters fansites over the reboot. (n)

I really hate Paul Feig's attitude going into this. His first response towards fan criticisms of an all-female ghostbusters was less than intelligent, scathing, and totally humorless....and now we get a message that essentially reads "DEAL WITH IT."

"And yes, it will star hilarious women": part snotty jab, part giant check to cash. Guaranteed hilarious? I might have to see that...at Redbox or Netflix or the second run theatre, but there's nothing to get excited about here.
10710596_10101404637467394_1688941564366962808_n.jpg

Guaranteed hilarious!

Finn

Staff member
featofstrength said:
Total ****storm on all Ghostbusters fansites over the reboot. (n)

I really hate Paul Feig's attitude going into this. His first response towards fan criticisms of an all-female ghostbusters was less than intelligent, scathing, and totally humorless....and now we get a message that essentially reads "DEAL WITH IT."
Feig actually has a point. The Internet is full of fan dumb, that somehow manages to take a single sentence, build an elaborated worst-case scenario out of it and then bash it like it was the word of god.

Right now, all we seem to know is that there's going to be an all-female Ghostbusters team. We don't, for example know who's going to be in it. So, let's ask ourselves... can that prospect of an all-female Ghostbusters team reach to the example set by Ramis, Aykroyd and co? Likely not. But does that mean it will crash and burn completely? Can't answer that question, but here's a suggestion, you dumb twats: Why can't we just wait and see?

Another example is that recent Star Wars 7 rumor in which a single short string of text after an Oxford rule caused a maelstrom in the community.

Okay, some might say that while they don't know it'll be bad, I don't know it'll be good either. True. But I didn't comment on that, I commented on the fandom's ability to somehow turn a single straw into a massive straw man. Who remembers Tyler Nelson, a KotCS extra who slipped out a line about playing a Russian who dances next to a fire? What was he talking about? A two-second establishing shot. Yet we actually had dipwits here who figured Spielberg was planning to implement a fully-blown musical number in there and proceeded to call it a stupid idea. Turned out most of the stupidity in that case was all homegrown.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's not just fans repelled by Paul Feig. Kristen Wiig wants no part in a Bridesmaids sequel. Sandra Bullock (who made Miss Congeniality 2, 15% on Rotten Tomatoes) wants no part in a The Heat sequel. His approach to comedy substitutes shouting for improvisation, totally different from Harold Ramis. Hopefully his attempt will fizzle like all the others.

Finn

Staff member
Interesting. Still, I wouldn't say this makes the fans right, but rather both parties at blame.

Nobody's saying that TPTB in any circles of entertainment are infallible. But it's sometimes astonishing how fans react to the smallest of things they apparently dislike. Yes, as fans they deserve a good product. But sadly, too often they forget they're not entitled to one.

HenryJunior

If they maintain that same kind of dead-pan comedy from the first movie it might have a chance. Other than that I still don't think it should even be made, regardless of the variables. The only Paul Feig movie I've seen is Knocked Up which was good but isn't close to being one of the comedies I re-watch on any kind of basis.

I'm not gonna worry too much about it for now. Until it's cast, and production dates are announced it could still very well get canned. I swear Dan has been announcing GB3 every six months for 5 years this is only slightly more promising.

We'll just have to wait until the trailer for Ghostbusters 3: The New Batch comes out. :D

TheFedora

HenryJunior said:
If they maintain that same kind of dead-pan comedy from the first movie it might have a chance. Other than that I still don't think it should even be made, regardless of the variables. The only Paul Feig movie I've seen is Knocked Up which was good but isn't close to being one of the comedies I re-watch on any kind of basis.

I'm not gonna worry too much about it for now. Until it's cast, and production dates are announced it could still very well get canned. I swear Dan has been announcing GB3 every six months for 5 years this is only slightly more promising.

We'll just have to wait until the trailer for Ghostbusters 3: The New Batch comes out. :D

Its not the all female cast that has me worried so much as the reboot and the fact that its set in a universe where the two previous films have not existed. Also makes me unsure because of these rumors that they want a 'marvel style connected universe'. Just enough to set me on edge.

TheFedora said:
Its not the all female cast that has me worried so much as the reboot and the fact that its set in a universe where the two previous films have not existed. Also makes me unsure because of these rumors that they want a 'marvel style connected universe'. Just enough to set me on edge.

Exactly, and this is what is upsetting most of the long time fans....but Feig was still a douche about responding to the all-female uproar.
10387472_10101405248662554_1323055667617998463_n.jpg

Lance Quazar

HenryJunior said:
The only Paul Feig movie I've seen is Knocked Up which was good but isn't close to being one of the comedies I re-watch on any kind of basis.
Paul Feig didn't make "Knocked Up".
TheFedora said:
I don't want a GB3, either, but doing a complete remake/reboot is arguably the best choice.
Since the original cast isn't going to be around (Ramis dead, Murray utterly disinterested), the best thing to do is start over and unshackle yourself from all the continuity of the earlier films.

Far better to have a blank canvass to tell an entirely new (new-ish) story without worrying about - how do the new characters fit in with the old? Does the universe at large know about ghosts? Are supernatural occurrences common? etc.

It was already weird/annoying/implausible that in Ghost busters 2, the entire world had apparently forgotten all about the events of the first film.

Trying to figure out how the history of those events and characters would tie into the new characters would be just a gigantic, messy headache from a storytelling point of view.
featofstrength said:
Exactly, and this is what is upsetting most of the long time fans....but Feig was still a douche about responding to the all-female uproar.
What comments, specifically, are you referring to?

Anyone "in an uproar" about the concept of an all-female ghostbusters team is themselves a douce and doesn't deserve to have their opinions treated sensibly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Lance Quazar said:

Anyone "in an uproar" about the concept of an all-female ghostbusters team is themselves a douce and doesn't deserve to have their opinions treated sensibly.

The 'Ghostbuster's' fan base. They're so small, you probably haven't heard of them yet. They're kind-of like hipsters. :p

TheFedora

Lance Quazar said:

You could have done it (the all female cast) without making it a reboot. And his remark about not being able to find a plot after a 'world changing' event like Stay Puft is just lazy. A REAL writer would know how to work around something like that and show us how the world is impacted by it. Instead of rebooting things and the desire to get a 'marvel like universe' at all costs.

Lance Quazar said:

Im sure you can google it, if you don't already know and are just goading me into a preplanned, interpretational shoot-down.

Gut reactions from fans aren't the most intelligently composed or professional, but they also aren't paid to be. "Professionals" putting down fans with snotty hashtags...very classy.

I hope he has something just as smart and funny to tweet and shoot down Ernie Hudson for siding with them:http://comicbook.com/2014/10/09/ernie-hudson-thinks-all-female-ghostbusters-is-a-bad-idea/

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

featofstrength said:
Im sure you can google it, if you don't already know and are just goading me into a preplanned, interpretational shoot-down.
No, I'm actually asking what specifically were Feig's comments that you thought were out of line. I honestly don't know.

Frankly, I don't care about whiny folks on the internet who blow things out of proportion and get butthurt as a matter of course by anything that deviates even slightly from their precious preconceptions.

And I say this as someone who has probably gotten very steamed on occasion when movies or TV or whatever hasn't turned out the way I wanted it to.
Pale Horse said:
The 'Ghostbuster's' fan base. They're so small, you probably haven't heard of them yet. They're kind-of like hipsters. :p
I'm a proud member of the Ghostbusters fanbase (I have a shirt and everything), just one who is at least wise enough to realize that - though I'd vastly prefer NO sequel at all - that a reboot is really the only way to give this even a chance of success.
TheFedora said:
You could have done it (the all female cast) without making it a reboot. And his remark about not being able to find a plot after a 'world changing' event like Stay Puft is just lazy. A REAL writer would know how to work around something like that and show us how the world is impacted by it. Instead of rebooting things and the desire to get a 'marvel like universe' at all costs.
The marvel comments were made by Dan Aykroyd, who has had insane, wildly unrealistic ideas for the franchise since he literally came up with the year over 30 years ago. He isn't involved anymore and the new thinking has nothing to do with the so-called "marvel style universe".

As for "a REAL writer could find a way"......

That's ridiculous and pointless and not where writers should be spending their energies. Being needlessly shackled to continuity is an obstacle to telling a good story. I'd MUCH rather have a good movie that stood on its own than one that had to bend, twist and contort itself to fit 30 year old continuity for literally no reason.

Besides, why would you want to be a direct sequel to a movie that the original actors (well, except for a very desperate Dan Aykroyd) would be in?

It would be nothing but awkward and sad (not unlike Aykroyd's ill-conceived "Blues Brothers 2000.")

Last edited by a moderator:
Lance Quazar said:
No, I'm actually asking what specifically were Feig's comments that you thought were out of line. I honestly don't know.

Frankly, I don't care about whiny folks on the internet who blow things out of proportion and get butthurt as a matter of course by anything that deviates even slightly from their precious preconceptions.

And I say this as someone who has probably gotten very steamed on occasion when movies or TV or whatever hasn't turned out the way I wanted it to.
2014-08-06

Just my perception, but it doesn't seem like he cares much to even try winning over a dedicated fanbase here. He doesn't have to try, just laugh it off and carry on doing what you want to do...be the bigger man, Paul. Even without the sass, I find a troubling lack of humor in this response from a so-called "comedic director." Partner it with the follow-up tweet announcement (JAB: & yes it will star hilarious women)...battle of the celebrity thin-skins, this week featuring Ben Affleck and Paul Feig!
Lance Quazar said:
I'm a proud member of the Ghostbusters fanbase (I have a shirt and everything), just one who is at least wise enough to realize that - though I'd vastly prefer NO sequel at all - that a reboot is really the only way to give this even a chance of success.
No movie is the way to go. Even the true-blues were ready to let it go and keep on celebrating what we had already been given. Now, the initial anger is subsiding to disappointment or straight on blasé "mehs."

Last edited:

curmudgeon

So he responded to the hatefully misogynistic reaction to his movie with a serious observation instead of a joke, therefore he's an *******.

Grizzlor

I had lukewarm interest in a GB III with some of the original stars in minor roles.

I have absolutely NO interest in a GB III with no original actors in it.

To be honest, I love the idea of an all chick team, but like I said, if it ignores the previous films, it should never be called Ghostbusters.

kongisking

Grizzlor said:
I had lukewarm interest in a GB III with some of the original stars in minor roles.

I have absolutely NO interest in a GB III with no original actors in it.

To be honest, I love the idea of an all chick team, but like I said, if it ignores the previous films, it should never be called Ghostbusters.

Um...why? The Ghostbusters is the title of a group, not bound to a specific roster of people, let alone guys. Its a business name, frankly. To think just because it doesn't have the original crew it does not deserve to be called Ghostbusters is like saying McDonald's is not McDonald's without the original founders around. Its the pinnacle of 'I don't like change' thinking tossing actual logic out the window.

I would be curious to see what a new team is like, especially a female one since that could make this a very important movie if done right. If this works...wouldn't it be nice if it helped further destroy the lingering bias against females as main characters in high-profile entertainment?

Just because it stars women doesn't make it a 'chick flick', and I hate that kind of idiotic non-logic.

And revelation time: I adore the old movies. Even 2, warts and all. I would have loved to see Dr. Venkman again as much as the next fan. So am I either smarter than most, or stupidly naive to be willing to give this new take a shot and hope its good? Then again, I'm now something of a Butt Monkey on here for liking, uh, 'girly' things, so who knows...