Star Wars: The Force Awakens

kongisking

featofstrength said:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L5h6BFZktJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...the obvious fallacy being that a skilled Jedi or Sith would not be so much of a dumbass to just casually twist their wrist for utterly no reason while holding the blade activated and not currently battling with the saber.

(But I know logic's not welcome here... ;) )

Mickiana

Montana Smith said:
A sabre is a curved sword, so yet another Lucasian ****-up. :D

True, but in this world of endlessly bending meanings, we have a straight sabre made of an electroplasma field that knows where to stop at a certain length of projection. i want to know how it goes only to a certain length and why it doesn't occasionally go bung and shoot out for great distances totally out of control or spray out from the weapon's mouth in a wide arc!

Where does the power come from? Is it nuclear fission or fusion; high amperage or just high voltage? Does it cut with a thermochemical reaction or electrochemical? Does it consume oxygen? Is it like the light-sensitive spear gate in the Chachapoyan temple and we won't ever figure it out, until we discover a new level of physics? :p

kongisking

Mickiana said:
True, but in this world of endlessly bending meanings, we have a straight sabre made of an electroplasma field that knows where to stop at a certain length of projection. i want to know how it goes only to a certain length and why it doesn't occasionally go bung and shoot out for great distances totally out of control or spray out from the weapon's mouth in a wide arc!

Where does the power come from? Is it nuclear fission or fusion; high amperage or just high voltage? Does it cut with a thermochemical reaction or electrochemical? Does it consume oxygen? Is it like the light-sensitive spear gate in the Chachapoyan temple and we won't ever figure it out, until we discover a new level of physics? :p

I sort of wonder if back in '77, anyone who saw the lightsabers in the first previews walked away complaining that the idea of a sword made of energy was 'impractical' or 'silly-looking'...

kongisking said:
...the obvious fallacy being that a skilled Jedi or Sith would not be so much of a dumbass to just casually twist their wrist for utterly no reason while holding the blade activated and not currently battling with the saber.

(But I know logic's not welcome here... ;) )

Did you see a different version of the Phantom Menace?

Goonie

Does this mean Bill Murray will be in it and sing his Star Wars song from SNL?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7EJ6AmplD8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo

kongisking said:
I sort of wonder if back in '77, anyone who saw the lightsabers in the first previews...
1976, actually. I saw the 1st preview in December of that year (at "King Kong", believe or not).;)
kongisking said:
I sort of wonder if back in '77, anyone who saw the lightsabers in the first previews walked away complaining that the idea of a sword made of energy was 'impractical' or 'silly-looking'...
Mickiana said:
I want to know how it goes only to a certain length and why it doesn't occasionally go bung and shoot out for great distances...
My best friend, Miguel, was a very smart cookie as a kid and I remember him telling me that, if a lightsabre's beam was a real laser, it should've just kept going on & on forever. He wasn't complaining though ('tis science-fantasy, after all)!
featofstrength said:
Wish I had recorded my reaction...winced a bit at ball droid, had a genuine bemoaned "goddammit" in response to the lightsaber, and then a long sigh for shaky-cam Falcon. But I didn't record it, and it was negative...so that's double bully for me, right?
Here's an idea: I could film myself watching a video of someone watching the teaser and then upload it so that folks can see my reaction to their reaction. Then you can film yourself watching me watching a guy watching his computer so I can see your reaction to my reaction of a reaction to the film's teaser. Other people could follow and we could keep it going on & on forever & ever…just like a laser beam!:D

kongisking

featofstrength said:
Did you see a different version of the Phantom Menace?

I'm aware the prequel lightsaber duels have a lot of unnecessary twirling of their swords. What makes you think this particular weapon wouldn't demand its wielder be more restrained? Or that, on a meta level, Abrams wouldn't be deliberately going back to the more pragmatic, simple-but-powerful duelling style of the old films?

(my original point stands. :hat: )

Mickiana

kongisking said:

I very much doubt that. They look great and allow for that old world romantic sword fighting that laser blasting just doesn't allow. The technology is beyond us at the moment and their mystery and mediaeval likeness is wondrous. :whip:

kongisking

Mickiana said:
I very much doubt that. They look great and allow for that old world romantic sword fighting that laser blasting just doesn't allow. The technology is beyond us at the moment and their mystery and mediaeval likeness is wondrous. :whip:

Begging the question again of why this of all things is the straw that breaks the camel's back...

Are these people actually just turned off by it unsubtly displaying its classic-sword-influence on its sleeve (in which case, that's a matter of your taste, and hence your problem), and it has nothing to do with practicality (since its been proven by countless fans already this argument is veryflimsy)?

The hilarious thing about all the spoof GIFs out there that toss extra blades/shapes into the saber is that they don't seem to realize that adding on to it doesn't prove that the actual design is silly; its proving that its utterly tame looking compared to how more over the top it could be. Talk about shooting (or stabbing, rather) yourselves in the foot...

Goonie

It was bound to happen...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mts0TP_J3c8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(y)

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
Here's an idea: I could film myself watching a video of someone watching the teaser and then upload it so that folks can see my reaction to their reaction. Then you can film yourself watching me watching a guy watching his computer so I can see your reaction to my reaction of a reaction to the film's teaser.

Bwahaha! Did you catch last wednesday's South Park? It was essentially what you just described...

tumblr_ng4aq7uXay1t30i0wo1_400%5B1%5D.gif

http://www.lightersideoftheforce.com/2014/12/see-falcon-shot-from-trailer-stabilized.html

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
Bwahaha! Did you catch last wednesday's South Park? It was essentially what you just described...
No, I didn't...but really want to now that you've mentioned it! Thanks for the heads-up, Gonzo!:hat: Do you want to see my reaction to that "South Park" episode? I'll frickin' film it, man!
Dr. Gonzo said:
Looks like you've got some competition these days Finn...
Those mock-up bubble gum cards are completely cool.:cool: Very appealing for original, 1st generation fans. (I still have hundreds & hundreds of them packed away.)

Although, I doubt this character will change Finn's nomenclature. He is as solid as a rock.