Would you have any issue with a openly gay actor being cast as Indiana Jones?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
It appears on the surface that times have moved on since gay actors had to hide their sexuality.

So, as liberal as you think you are, or not - would you have any issue with a openly gay actor being cast as Indiana Jones?

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
As long as the character he plays doesn't turn gay, doesn't make a squat of difference.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Okay. Would knowing the actors sexual preference sub-consiously undermine your view of the sexual chemistry of the actors?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
I can't think of an openly gay actor who as played a Macho hetrosexual character.

Even the Macho cop in the Village People was straight.

Le Saboteur

JuniorJones said:
So, as liberal as you think you are, or not - would you have any issue with a openly gay actor being cast as Indiana Jones?

Nope.

There's a junior high school joke in here somewhere about this gay actor being less "gay" than Shia Labouef was in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

JuniorJones said:
Would Indy not be your hero if he turn gay?

Where is this gay period in Indiana Jones' life? On one of those twenty or thirty missions he and Mac did fightin' the Natzees? Did Mac really want Indy in his hole with him?

Or, are you suggesting that Disney-Lucasfilm-Paramount start pandering? Let's go one step further and make Indiana Jones Chinese & transgender.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

JuniorJones said:
I can't think of an openly gay actor who as played a Macho hetrosexual character.

Even the Macho cop in the Village People was straight.

No current names come to mind. But older dude Sir Ian McKellan kicked X-butt as Magneto.

In the past suspicions and accusations became public after they'd died, such as Rock Hudson, Dirk Bogarde, Ray Milland or Cary Grant.

Le Saboteur said:
Let's go one step further and make Indiana Jones Chinese & transgender.

Ladyboy Jones.

It does have quite a ring to it.

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Le Saboteur said:
Nope.

There's a junior high school joke in here somewhere about this gay actor being less "gay" than Shia Labouef was in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Are you sure? They say that women want him and men want to be him. As the character is so wrapped with the personality of Harrison Ford wouldn't it be the same for a new actor?

LS said:
Where is this gay period in Indiana Jones' life? On one of those twenty or thirty missions he and Mac did fightin' the Natzees? Did Mac really want Indy his hole with him?

It was a "what if?" question. However, it is not implaudiably that the character could be re-fitted to suit modern times. Would you have an issue with that?

There is a great gag in Skyfall that does it in wonderful playful style.

LS said:
Or, are you suggesting that Disney-Lucasfilm-Paramount start pandering? Let's go one step further and make Indiana Jones Chinese & transgender.

No, I'm not. We've already had toys marked to the African American and the mouse communities.

Your quick of the mark with arse gags. Wouldn't it be the same if a gay actor was to take the role. Wouldn't he be the "butt" of many homophobic puns?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Montana Smith said:
No current names come to mind. But older dude Sir Ian McKellan kicked X-butt as Magneto.

The whole question of sexuality was left out including the death of his wife that ultimately lead him becoming Magneto.

MS said:
.In the past suspicions and accusations became public after they'd died, such as Rock Hudson, Dirk Bogarde, Ray Milland or Cary Grant.

Indeed.

MS said:
Ladyboy Jones.

It does have quite a ring to it.

Although I'd like to see Ladyboy Jones and the Shanghai Surprise.

Le Saboteur

JuniorJones said:
It was a "what if?" question. However, it is not implausible that the character could be re-fitted to suit modern times. Would you have an issue with that?

Re-fitted to modern times? So, instead of a globe trotting archeologist Indiana Jones would... what exactly? He'd apologize to former colonies @ the United Nations, help them repatriate their stolen antiquities, and make Youtube videos about indigenous rights?

Where's the subsequent compilation of world music as personally compiled by Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.? All the proceeds of which will go Bono's ONE.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Le Saboteur said:
Re-fitted to modern times?

I mean modern sensibilities to homosexuality. Are you actually reading the thread?

Le Saboteur said:
So, instead of a globe trotting archeologist Indiana Jones would... what exactly? He'd apologize to former colonies @ the United Nations, help them repatriate their stolen antiquities, and make Youtube videos about indigenous rights?Where's the subsequent compilation of world music as personally compiled by Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.? All the proceeds of which will go Bono's ONE.[/

Well, they certainly sanitised the character to make him more user friendly over the 30 years. However, I imagine this is a debate for another thread.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

JuniorJones said:

And/or Spartacus? I'm just going to leave this here.....

slideshow_1001898548_Santa_Barbara_Film_Festival.jpg

JuniorJones said:
Dastardly question!:hat:

I would certainly have trouble relating to Indy in an on screen romance with another man.

Maybe you'll still be around in 45-50 years to see Max Spielberg's kid direct the homage to Brokeback Mountain or delve into Constantine's closet.

As of Crystal Skull, chances are there is a gay Indiana Jones...in another dimension.

JuniorJones said:
Okay. Would knowing the actors sexual preference sub-consiously undermine your view of the sexual chemistry of the actors?
I don't know. While its never been any intial taint to any Joseph Gordon-Levitt roles, the question does occur after a while...

scott434

Yes I would have a problem with a gay Indy. Would not watch the movie because in my opinion it would be a liberal director trying to shove down my throat his beliefs. My beliefs are simple. Do and be whoever you want to be with YOUR life. I will do the same. But do NOT attempt to spread or change my beliefs with yours and definately do NOT attempt to share it with my underage children. By the way, I have a few gay friends and one is a family member. I got in a heated argument over the Chick-fil-a incident with him on facebook. I shared my belief and told him I respected his. You wanna know his comment? He sad F@#@ YOU on my page where all my family and clients were able to read it. It's people like him with a "his way or no way" attitude that hurts the gay communities image. I love Ellen Degenerous...............................

Vance

One of my favorite shows is "White Collar" whose lead, Neil Caffery, is played by openly-gay actor Matt Bomer. The character, however, is decidedly not gay and to suddenly make him into such I think would be a disservice to the character, the actor, and the show, and solely done for political pandering.

This, of course, would not mean that they couldn't introduce a different gay character in the show (oh, wait, they did, and one of the best ones on television!) or that Matt Bomer couldn't play a gay man in another series (again, already done).

So, there would be no problem with a gay actor playing Indiana Jones in the future. But rewriting the character, who already has a long-established personal-relationship history, would be distasteful all around.

Finn

Staff member
JuniorJones said:
This question was originally aimed at me, but looks like when you wait long enough, the board sorts it out for you.

Vance's sentiments are pretty much my own. It's nobody's business with whom the actor handles his naughty business, but rewriting an established part of the character into something else would be crossing several limits - especially since it would definitely be against the nature of the period's serials it homages.

In fact, I'd probably have less of an issue with gay James Bond, given how 007 moves along with the times, but Indy is very candidly tied down to a specific era and its style.

Vance

Finn said:
In fact, I'd probably have less of an issue with gay James Bond, given how 007 moves along with the times, but Indy is very candidly tied down to a specific era and its style.

I would say it's against Bond's character, since his womanizing tendancies are pretty well explained and detailed through the movies and the novels. (He's covering his emotional losses, not sexuality-repression.) It would be a pretty substantial 'out-there' for most people to accept.